Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently looking at one of the few remaining 2004 AS P99s at my local gun shop.  While looking at it, I used the slide release to close the slide.

GASP!  The guy showing me the gun told me that you shouln't let the slide slam forward on an empty chamber.  Is this correct???  Will it hurt the gun?  Just looking for a quick answer.  Thanks guys.

-stunks

P.S. When I went back to the store, they had sold the last p99!!!!  ah well

·
Registered
310 Posts
First time I've ever heard that. I've seen plenty a dealer do that when they're demonstrating a pistol. I just checked my Ruger owner's manual and it doesn't mention any restrictions about operating the slide or the slide release lever.

Sounds to me like someone is just a little paranoid...maybe someone else knows something different.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Begh, the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. There's virtually no difference to the gun wether it strips a round of the clip or not when the slide moves forward. He probably didn't want you to dry fire it either.

·
Registered
471 Posts
There are a couple of schools of thought about this. I'm one to think it does no harm and is more of an etiquette thing. I liken it to shutting the car door gently as apposed to slamming it, on the showroom floor...

If it really does hurt a particular handgun, then it's not one I'd want to trust my life to...

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
On some models of guns it does matter, notably the 1911.  You never drop the slide on a 1911 with an empty chamber.  I believe the extractor has a tendency to slam into the rear of the chamber where it's a steel on steel impact.

The difference with having a round in the pipe is that when the extractor makes contact, it is steel striking brass.  Brass is considerably softer than steel so the impact isn't likely to mess up the extractor.  The brass casing will absorb the brunt of the force.

If you do drop the slide on an empty chamber it won't kill the gun instantly, but if it's repeated by everyone who comes in to look at the gun, well you know the rest...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess it is an etiquette thing. Well, thanks Breaker, and all that responded. Do unto others, I guess.

-stunks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
BreakerDave is correct about 1911's. I have also read that releasing the slide on empty chamber will ruin a good trigger job on the 1911 because there is contact made with the sear.

However, I do not think it is healthy to do this with any semi auto handgun as they are designed to have the counter force of stripping a round from the magazine. But the only stress I would think it causes would be more stress on the take down latch. This being said, one would probably have to do it thousands of times to cause any damage. I had a Glock 17 once I did this to all the time before I knew any better and got into 1911's, and never noticed any adverse affects.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts