Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my P22Q not locking back on the final round.

What issues could be causing that?

Has anyone purchased and installed the recoil spring for the QD model and installed it in the Q?

I did that. Could it be causing my failure to lock back on the last round?

I've been sick and not able to get to the range for a couple of weeks, so just asking opinions for the present.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Does it not lock back using different magazines? Does it lock back if you manually rack the slide with an empty mag? I use the Galloway captured spring with no issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The slide on the QD is slightly different than the Q model, just drilling out the end hole doesn't make it the same. The Galloway captured spring allows the Q to have a captured spring. By using the QD spring and just drilling the end of the Q slide, it may not be allowing the slide to come back far enough for the slide lock notch to catch. Or if the load assist button is missing from the magazine, that will keep the slide lock from operating.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
The slide on the QD is slightly different than the Q model, just drilling out the end hole doesn't make it the same. The Galloway captured spring allows the Q to have a captured spring. By using the QD spring and just drilling the end of the Q slide, it may not be allowing the slide to come back far enough for the slide lock notch to catch. Or if the load assist button is missing from the magazine, that will keep the slide lock from operating.
I'd like go know the difference. 1917

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Hey Mudbug, sorry to hear you have been feeling poorly. Hope you are back to your old self pronto.

Slide not locking back after the last round;

Here is how it works.

The slide must be moved far enough rearward in order for the slide hold open arm to engage the little slot on the left side of the slide. Since the slide is moving very fast, a little built in over travel is designed into the system to allow the arm time to jump up there. Does the arm move up and down smoothly, pistol assembled...you should be able to flick it up and down and it should move freely. Hold the slide all the way to the rear....press the arm down, let it pop back up...repeat thirty times....working smoothly? So, the first test is to fully insert and lock in several unloaded magazines into an unloaded pistol and then retract the slide. Does the arm securely catch the slide every time? If not...stop and figure out why. Is the stop arm damaged at the top, has the slide catch notch become damaged? This of course does not duplicate how fast things must work when firing.

As we all know on the P22 the pull down button engages the stop arm pressing it upward but only after the last round is removed from the magazine. Make sure your magazines are clean.....on the inside and the follower is moving all the way up freely. You can remove the slide, insert an empty magazine and watch the button press the arm up. This should all work very smoothly because when you are firing the slide is moving extremely fast and the stop arm must be positioned immediately in order to catch it.

The most common problem is weak ammo not blowing the slide rearward enough.

Weak ammo, dry, poorly lubricated dirty pistol, dirty magazine - all can cause this problem. Limp wristing, thumb dragging on the slide or resting on the stop arm can also cause it. If everything seems in order I would stretch one of the magazine springs to see if that speeds up the operation of the magazine. If it does....call Ft Smith for some new ones....under warranty. What have I left out?

Did you put in an O ring. That will stop the slide from moving quite as far rearward making all of the above more critical. I've not had any issues here though in 40,000 rounds but it could effect your pistol if the O ring is not lubricated or is too thick. I have seen stop arms become rounded a bit at the top, rear edge which could make it slip off the hardened pin.

The QD recoil spring fits perfectly in a Q slide if you enlarge the guide rod hole. It appears to me to be exactly the same spring used in all earlier pistols. A month ago I fired 2,000 rounds through a drilled out slide with a new QD recoil spring and had no issues. I have it on good authority that Ft Smith has done similar. The length of the recoil spring and washer play no part in this....remember, when the take down lever is pulled down the slide must be pulled even more rearward in order for the grooves to clear the frame rails. So, when the slide is fully pressed rearward against the take down stop....the assembly is still not fully compressed. I'll put some pictures up if it will help. 1917

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it not lock back using different magazines? Does it lock back if you manually rack the slide with an empty mag? I use the Galloway captured spring with no issues.
The failure to lock back happens about 70-80% of the time. I have three magazines, and it happens with all three. Two came with the gun and one was ordered online.

Yes, it will always lock back if I do it manually.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drilling out what?!? I have done no drilling at all on the gun.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Mudbug, sorry to hear you have been feeling poorly. Hope you are back to your old self pronto.

Slide not locking back after the last round;

Here is how it works.

The slide must be moved far enough rearward in order for the slide hold open arm to engage the little slot on the left side of the slide. Since the slide is moving very fast, a little built in over travel is designed into the system to allow the arm time to jump up there. Does the arm move up and down smoothly, pistol assembled...you should be able to flick it up and down and it should move freely. Hold the slide all the way to the rear....press the arm down, let it pop back up...repeat thirty times....working smoothly? So, the first test is to fully insert and lock in several unloaded magazines into an unloaded pistol and then retract the slide. Does the arm securely catch the slide every time? If not...stop and figure out why. Is the stop arm damaged at the top, has the slide catch notch become damaged? This of course does not duplicate how fast things must work when firing.

As we all know on the P22 the pull down button engages the stop arm pressing it upward but only after the last round is removed from the magazine. Make sure your magazines are clean.....on the inside and the follower is moving all the way up freely. You can remove the slide, insert an empty magazine and watch the button press the arm up. This should all work very smoothly because when you are firing the slide is moving extremely fast and the stop arm must be positioned immediately in order to catch it.

The most common problem is weak ammo not blowing the slide rearward enough.

Weak ammo, dry, poorly lubricated dirty pistol, dirty magazine - all can cause this problem. Limp wristing, thumb dragging on the slide or resting on the stop arm can also cause it. If everything seems in order I would stretch one of the magazine springs to see if that speeds up the operation of the magazine. If it does....call Ft Smith for some new ones....under warranty. What have I left out?

Did you put in an O ring. That will stop the slide from moving quite as far rearward making all of the above more critical. I've not had any issues here though in 40,000 rounds but it could effect your pistol if the O ring is not lubricated or is too thick. I have seen stop arms become rounded a bit at the top, rear edge which could make it slip off the hardened pin.

The QD recoil spring fits perfectly in a Q slide if you enlarge the guide rod hole. It appears to me to be exactly the same spring used in all earlier pistols. A month ago I fired 2,000 rounds through a drilled out slide with a new QD recoil spring and had no issues. I have it on good authority that Ft Smith has done similar. The length of the recoil spring and washer play no part in this....remember, when the take down lever is pulled down the slide must be pulled even more rearward in order for the grooves to clear the frame rails. So, when the slide is fully pressed rearward against the take down stop....the assembly is still not fully compressed. I'll put some pictures up if it will help. 1917
Thanks, 1911! A lot here to look into and think about. I give it all a look-see in the next few days. I am betting on just plain trashy innards. I clean the gun, but could be more diligent about it.

I have not drilled out the guide rod hole. My memory is pretty bad, but I know I have done no power drilling of any kind to that gun. I never read anyplace about having to do that when I used the captured guide spring assembly.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...fitted-qd-captive-recoil-spring-assembly.html

Here you go, I did a thread on it. Shown is the new stock captive guide rod in a QD model. Ft Smith sent me one to try in a Q slide. After careful measurement I determined that all I needed to do was drill the guide rod hole out slightly to 1/4" so that the new recoil system would fit. Works perfectly...fired 2,000 rounds one afternoon through the modified pistol...No problems. Well, thumbs did get sore loading mags.

I expect your slide is just not being blown back far enough. Firm grip and CCI Mini Mags or Rem Goldens. If that doesn't do it. Remove that slide and clean the pistol. Wish you were near by, I'd be glad to give it a going over for you. I've never had this issue though unless using weak ammo. 1917

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
If clean, lubed, and good ammo is being used why not stretch one magazine spring about 1/2" and test that. This should be simple. 1917

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
A fellow purchased some of the family land next to my farm. He lives in Houma, I bet he would be glad to bring your pistol over for me to have a look at when I'm down at the farm. He could then bring it back. You can also call Ft Smith and tell them you have tried everything including min mags and the slide won't catch. 1917

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here you go, I did a thread on it. Shown is the new stock captive guide rod in a QD model. Ft Smith sent me one to try in a Q slide. After careful measurement I determined that all I needed to do was drill the guide rod hole out slightly to 1/4" so that the new recoil system would fit. Works perfectly...fired 2,000 rounds one afternoon through the modified pistol...No problems. Well, thumbs did get sore loading mags.

I expect your slide is just not being blown back far enough. Firm grip and CCI Mini Mags or Rem Goldens. If that doesn't do it. Remove that slide and clean the pistol. Wish you were near by, I'd be glad to give it a going over for you. I've never had this issue though unless using weak ammo. 1917
At a few months away from 70 years old, I find that my memory is getting weaker by the month. I simply do not remember drilling out the guide rod hole so it would work, but I must have done it, if it's the only way that it would have fired with that new spring and rod.

But it does fire, and very smoothly.

After I first installed the new spring, the gun fired pretty well, but failed to catch at the last round now and then. It seems to have gotten worse recently. So I suspect that I am going to have to just take the entire thing apart and give it a very good cleaning. It is nearly two years old now (come the anniversary of the Black Friday 2016 sale at Academy sports locally).

Joe

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
Mud....sounds like CRS is sneaking up on you. Hey, it happens. I'm way ahead of you, as I have all three......yes, the dreaded three C's. CRS, CHS and CSS. In ******* terminology, (and that's the only terminology I know) CRS is Can't Remember Shi*, CHS is Can't Hear Shi* and CSS is Can't See Shi*. Yes, its 8ell gettin' old.

Okay, now where'd I put my false teeth?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts