Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
And let me regret my "garbage" post. I now have over 3,000 rounds through my PPQ and it has been absolutely flawless. I have not one single complaint about this pistol. Far and away the best trigger I ever had the pleasure to pull. Even better than the SA pull of the best SIGs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
And let me regret my "garbage" post. I now have over 3,000 rounds through my PPQ and it has been absolutely flawless. I have not one single complaint about this pistol. Far and away the best trigger I ever had the pleasure to pull. Even better than the SA pull of the best SIGs.
Thanks for the update! :) I thought your PPQ might have been giving you some problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The slide lock is very easy to hit because it sits back farther than most guns I own. Practice practice practice.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Update: Went to the range today. Made sure my thumb was nowhere near the slide release. Well after 75 rounds, my PPQ worked perfectly! I feel so much better now. Thanks everyone for their inputs. :)
Glad to hear its working and thanks for the update. I'll be hitting the range later today with the PPQ for the first time and after reading this I picked it up and noticed it is quite easy to make contact with the slide lock. I'll pay attention to this at the range.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a similar problem with my P99 QA. Turned out it was a simple matter of me letting the magazine follower get dirty enough to hang up and not engage the slide-stop. On the bright side, this was when I was intentionally not cleaning, just to see how much abuse she would take. The total round count was about 800 between cleanings, split between 4 mags. For a pistol that can group about 2" or less at 25 yards, this is pretty impressive, IMHO. Bottom line is, I trust the Walther with my life to do its job, as long as I do mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Slide failing to lock back

Did some searches but couldn't find anything regarding this. Do any of you have problems with your PPQ not locking the slide back on an empty mag? I'm curious if it's a result of my grip preventing the slide stop from engaging....

·
Registered
565 Posts
Did some searches but couldn't find anything regarding this. Do any of you have problems with your PPQ not locking the slide back on an empty mag? I'm curious if it's a result of my grip preventing the slide stop from engaging....
Search more ;). I had the same problem with my PPQ when new. About 300 rounds of 124 grain later, no longer an issue. Some folks talk about it being a grip issue, but for me it's been the opposite; I'm more likely to lock the slide back on a loaded mag due to grip + recoil.

That's my .02 £ (posting from Heathrow so you get pence).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guessing it's my thumbs, I'm also a lefty, dunno if that factors but my grip might be weird... I'll check it out next time I send a few downrange.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I really think that being left/right handed is irrelevant.

Sounds like a grip issue. Pay attention to how your fingers or hand are contacting the slide lock, not only during that final round but particularly during your 'pre-last round' shooting.

The PPQ is perfect, so it must be you :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same issue. I realized my thumbs were so high on the frame that they were holding the slide stop down. I made sure to keep my thumbs below the lever, and voila!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
All right, at the (logical) request of a forum member, we've merged a couple of threads on this topic and relegated the survivor to Sticky status. As somebody said somewhere, carry on ... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definitely holding down the slide catch while you're firing. I did the same thing today at the range and noticed its just the natural grip I have on the gun. My friend, who just bought his PPQ today after trying mine a few days ago btw, holds his thumbs in a different position, more curled down rather than straight out along the bottom edge of the slide, didn't have the same problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these guns.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Definitely holding down the slide catch while you're firing. I did the same thing today at the range and noticed its just the natural grip I have on the gun. My friend, who just bought his PPQ today after trying mine a few days ago btw, holds his thumbs in a different position, more curled down rather than straight out along the bottom edge of the slide, didn't have the same problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these guns.
Definitely is a strong and often incorrect word. I never had an issue with my P99 slide not locking back (and it has the PPQ style ambi slide release), but did for the first few hundred rounds with my PPQ - probably due to a recoil spring at the high end of tolerances in the 9mm PPQ, keeping the slide from going far enough back to lockup until it was broken in.

There seem to be multiple causes to this issue, but it's definitely not just one thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hands

As stated earlier, there is nothing wrong with PPQ. I had similar experience at range on first time fire also... It's hand position and slide release is very sensitive, reposition hands and issues goes away.

It will take some getting use to if you have big hands but weapon works fine it's technique.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I did this today did not let the slide lock back after an empty mag , and I have done the opposite , locked the slide in between rounds... I have to be more aware of my grip...I am positive that's what it is

21 - 40 of 46 Posts