Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

guys,

First of all I know how to assemble and disassemble the P99. So no yelling or name calling please... I already feel angry at myself  .

Anyways, what happenned = I was assembling the gun back after cleaning when suddenly the slide wouldn't go all the way back and it would not go forward neither so IT GOT STUCK!!! I tried yerking it back and forth with a hope to get it out and re-insert but no luck.... Looks like the guide rod didn't rest fully on the supposed spot... what can I do? is it still fixable or is it done for???

Do I need to replace the recoild spring rod? If I do, where can I find one, Haven't found a site that sells spare parts of it....

thanks,

·
Registered
310 Posts
How far back on the pistol is the slide? Can you post a picture?

This is probably obvious, but did you try using the take-down lever while you tried to move the slide forward or back?

I'm sitting here trying looking at mine, trying to figure out what could be binding. I don't see how the recoil rod could do it...that might keep it from going back but not from coming back off.

Maybe some of the "old hands" will be able to shed some light on the problem.

Good luck!
Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's an image of it... It can't move forward or back even when holding down the release lever.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Have you tried decocking the gun to disassemble it and start over?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I tried decocking it but the decoking button won't come down.

It won't move out or back even with the disassembly lever down.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
What happens when you pull the trigger?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I pull the trigger? it moves but you don't feel that trigger pull, it just feels like a disangaged trigger.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
On the back of the slide, what condition does the cocking indicator show? -Cocked or Uncocked?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't show, as you can see the slide is not fully back... The slide would not go any further back or forth

·
Registered
471 Posts
Comparing your picture to my P99, the slide is positioned right at the slide release where the barrel lug would push the slide release down and then once in place snap back up into place. I'm going to guess the internal part of your slide release is stuck.

If it were mine, (from what it looks like in your picture) I'd pull down on the slide release as much as possible and at the same time try a "little" harder to push (or lightly tap) it home... The angle on the slide lock is in that direction and looks to me it would go on easier than off, if it was stuck...

·
Registered
55 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stzd8 @ Mar. 05 2005,7:32)]
i have a similar problem evry time i remove or install slide of my ki year .40 cal. i have to "milk" it on and off. i have to wiggle and jiggle AND pull or push the slide while rapid firing the trigger. i think it might be the two things sticking up on the trigger bar but i am not sure

·
Registered
310 Posts
stzd8 -

This is really puzzling me. So much so, that I got out my Walther and took another look. I took off the slide and aligned it at the same point your picture shows, then looked at the internals to see what might be binding. It just shouldn't be happening!

I took some pics of the slide and frame in those relative positions. It's too big to post here, so I put them on a page on my web site. Go here: http://users.adelphia.net/~jimdick/waltherinternal.html and you can see the two shots. The only thing I can "feel" is that it looks like it got stuck just about the point that the barrel comes back into contact with the take down lever. I can feel it catch in that position when I put mine back together. Maybe something there or in the trigger assembly is catching. Alex's comment about rapid firing the trigger might point to that.

I'll be very interested to hear what finally works for you.

Hope this helps!
Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man,

I kept pulling the trigger and tried to pull the slide back and push forward to see if it moved, but nothing. I gotta feeling the recoil rod has something to do with it. Does the release lever supposed to be hard to pull down?

This sucks, I just got it one day...Didn't even fired the damn thing and it craps out. I can't believe nobody had same problem. By the way, please do not try to replicate my problem with your guns, I do not want anybody to experience this

·
Registered
38 Posts
the take down lever is hard to pull down. you might get someone to pull down on them while you try to force the slide off. last resort, take it to your local gun smith. he'll get it off.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Is there any chance that the slide is on slight angle? I noticed when I was putting mine on that a couple of times I had it "cocked" slightly so that the right side was too high and not riding in the groove properly. If you look at yours from the back, is it level on both sides?

Looking at mine when it was apart, I just can't see anything that the recoil rod could get caught on that would prevent motion in both directions. It might keep you from putting it on, but not from getting it back off again.

Have you tried pushing down on the barrel as you try to move the slide forward?

WHen you say "release lever", do you mean the takedown catch for disassembly? Mine still moves easily even when the slide is only part way on.

I feel your pain....I just got my P99 and it would kill me not to be able to shoot it!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This can happen if you put the recoil assembly in backwards. If you have done that, you should be able to disassemble with some effort, using something to push in on the recoil rod from the front opening in the slide.

Send a note to Lunde, I think he has dealt with this before

Good luck, and seek assistance from a gun smith if you cannot get it fixed.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
471 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This can happen if you put the recoil assembly in backwards
I never thought about that!

I just tried to put it on my P99 backwards and I couldn't get the RA to fit on the slide... Still it's a good thought...

You can tell if it's backwards stzd8 by looking at the end of the slide/barrel. The correct end is flat. The wrong end has what looks like a "hole" in the end of it...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are right is backwarks, the recoil rod that is facing the front slide has the little hole in the middle. I am so mad at myself.

But I have tried pulling the lever the hardest it won't budge and even pushing the barrel down. Barrel won't push down.

How do I get in touch with Lundes?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts