Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I failed to mention in my "First Impressions" post that several times the slide failed to lock back when the mags were empty. Advice?

BTW, I tried to save ya'll the trouble of a reply and searched the forum first but nothing obvious returned based on the search criteria entered.:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
MLB.... he's got a 9mm.......

I would try to manipulte the Slide stop lever spring with a mag inserted, to see if that is the problem.... I could see the spring being "stuck" or stiff... maybe it just needs a drop of oil on it

·
Registered
118 Posts
Could also be a high thumb grip.

I like to place my stong hand thumb over the support hand thumb. With both thumb tips pointing up. On some weapons my high grip can interfere with the slide stop being pushed up on the last round.

I was sure there was something wrong with my magazines springs I replaced them all and it did not fix anything. Then I realized what was the problem.

To rule out user error try shooting one handed and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I second the thumbs. My friend has a HK USP in 9mm and 45 and does that. He didn't do that until he started gripping the weapon properly. If you can truely rule out the thumb issue then call Walther and send that weapon with magzines back for a look.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well you folks are correct; last evening's range session verified that whenever my "thumb's up," slide lock doesn't occur. Based on the shape of the P99 grip though, I am having problems positioning my right thumb (I'm right-handed) anyplace other than close to the slide stop. The 99 has the smallest grip of the pistols I'm used to shooting so trying to find real estate for my hands is a learning process! Thanks again.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't know if its something you'd want to consider but alot of competition shooters remove the locks from their guns for that reason. I've considered doing it before.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I think the 1st generation P99 had a big advantage over the 2nd generation in this regard.... look at the pic and see for yourself how they look compared to the newer P99's (pics from Lunde's page)
I think with the 1st generation it will be less likely to "ride" the slide stop lever

·
Registered
69 Posts
Slide Stop!

I wish I had such a problem!

The PPK/S-1 doesn't have an external slide stop. I wish it did!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Unless you have an empty magazine handy, getting the ppk/s to lock back is a little tricky.

Whenever I hand a firearm to someone, I like to do it with the slide open. As you mentioned, it's hard to do with a ppk/s. I drop the magazine, clear the firearm, and while holding the slide back, reach my finger in the breach and lift up on the slide lock bar.

Of course, if your grip on the slide falters, you may have a sore finger...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts