Walther Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
My father has a Shield 40. Has a manual safety, even though it is rather diminutive. It's positive in manipulation, slight click in either direction. Slim and packs a punch. Reliable, no frills.
I carry a 9mm Shield everyday and would not unless it had the manual safety. You can purchase the same pistol with no safety. But why would you? Don't want the safety on, just press it down and off and leave it that way....which is what I do if I'm heading into a sketchy area....say New Orleans French Quarter streets. I don't carry my P99AS simply because I don't trust even the decocked position when I'm crawling around on a job site or driving a Bobcat or tractor. Besides that....it is just too pretty for edc. That old Shield, paid $225 new, gets dirty or scratched....I don't care. It has been 100% reliable but the rear sight needs to be adjusted just a bit. Groups left of point of aim about three inches. Still good for minute of perp. 1917

·
Registered
9 Posts
... I don't carry my P99AS simply because I don't trust even the decocked position when I'm crawling around on a job site or driving a Bobcat or tractor. Besides that....it is just too pretty for edc...
I’m looking for a semi with zero-spring loading behind chambered primers and the P99AS came up as very safe option, curious what you do not trust about it.

The PPK seems about as safe as you can get with this criteria.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
1917, I think that is what led him to get his shield. He paid about he same including tax and transfer. If it gets beat up, so be it, it is a tool designed for a purpose. Didn't break the bank, and they make thousands of them and he can get another one if he needs to. His is just dang reliable. Goes bang every time. He didn't mention needing to diddle his sights, so his might be ok for what he shoots.

I like your take on the safety thing. Don't want it on, don't put it on. I like that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Called Walther again and got customer service; did not catch his name but very courteous and professional. Thinks most of my malfunctions are from limp wristing. Hopefully one-time decocker failure is a fluke from not having the small lever all the way down. (maybe? I am pretty careful...) Definitely call back if it happens again. It is possible my thumb inadvertently depressed the mag release button during recoil to cause the slide to lock back with one round still in the magazine.

He did clearly say, "this is a 1931 design that is hard to shoot for some people; especially someone new. It is not designed for hollow points so all hollow points must be tested out. Buy a box of 20 and shoot six to be sure." He recommended Remington, Winchester, and Hornady. I have the exact specs written down at home; can post specifics later.

Basically it's a classic firearm; can be reliable and accurate but its not for everyone. Also said, "better eat your Wheaties before you rack that slide with the 20lb spring!"
I got lucky and found Winchester range ammo and Hornady HP at my local shop this morning after the call.
For first time owner EDC recommended the PK380 or the CCP M2.

Overall, I love the gun. Will be cautious with HP and continue safety and range training with instructor as well as a few trips on my own.
I do see something more modern in the future. Will most likely rent a Sig P365 at the range. Who knows...
I really appreciate everyone's feedback; thanks guys! It's a process...always learning!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got an email from Walther this morning and they want the ppk FedEx’d to them so they can check it out!
will post the results whenever they send it back.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts