Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Walther P99 AS 40 a few days ago. I just realized that the pistol’s slide will not automatically lock to the rear when I rack it with an empty magazine.

I didn’t think twice about checking it before I bought it because I’m so used to all handguns automatically locking with an empty magazine.

The owner had been carrying it for four years and it appears to be well taken care of.

Do you guys think it’s a magazine issue?

Sorry if this question/issue has been posted before.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Here is a good test for you to try.

Remove the slide, and insert an empty mag in the pistol frame and see if it raises the slide stop lever as it should. Try it with every mag you have.
If the lever moves up then it's not a mag issue. Also inspect the notch in the slide that the slide stop engages. Is the rear of the notch nice and square? Will the slide lock back if you manually lock it back using the stop lever?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ll give this a try in a little bit and report my findings.

Remove the slide, and insert an empty mag in the pistol frame and see if it raises the slide stop lever as it should. Try it with every mag you have.
If the lever moves up then it's not a mag issue. Also inspect the notch in the slide that the slide stop engages. Is the rear of the notch nice and square? Will the slide lock back if you manually lock it back using the stop lever?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only have one magazine with me and that’s the one I’m carrying. I emptied it. Removed the slide. Inserted the empty magazine. It bumps the slide stop up but not enough. I can push it further up with my thumb. I suppose it’s a spring issue of the magazine, then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just tried racking the slide with 5 different empty mags and it wouldn’t lock back. I guess I’ll be shipping it to walther 😞

Owner said the gun locks when the last round is fired, but didn’t say whether it would do it on empty mag.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Well I just tried racking the slide with 5 different empty mags and it wouldn’t lock back.
Check the tab on the slide release lever that the shelf on the follower pushes up. Make sure it is still there and that it isn't bent or cracked.

Were these 5 mags, factory mags, or aftermarket? If they were the factory mags, were they the 10rd, 11rd, or 12rd mags?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They were factory magazines. I shipped it off this morning.

Well I just tried racking the slide with 5 different empty mags and it wouldn’t lock back.
Check the tab on the slide release lever that the shelf on the follower pushes up. Make sure it is still there and that it isn't bent or cracked.

Were these 5 mags, factory mags, or aftermarket? If they were the factory mags, were they the 10rd, 11rd, or 12rd mags?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I seem to recall there was a page that explained the different color followers in the magazine. Orange, Black, and Blue.
The difference, other than color, was an improved tab on the follower, to lift the slide stop.
I think the Blue follower is the latest design.
So I suggest you get a new magazine. The SW99 will work, as well as a PPQ magazine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts