Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a three year old Q5, that I use for IDPA shoots. It is showing slide finish wear, at the front, from all the draw practice and matches I participate in.
Is there any finish, I can have put on, that will hold up to Kydex holster wear?
I can have it done, during the winter off season.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven’t heard of any finish that won’t succumb to holster wear after some time, especially if you are doing some dryfire as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
That wear is a badge of honor, it shows that the pistol gets used and is no trophy queen.

Ceracoat or other surface finish would delay it a little bit but its going to wear in a few spots.

·
Premium Member
8,655 Posts
The question does come up frequently and sadly there is no good answer.

Spot finishes will not do a good job and not match. You could get the weapon creacoated if it really bothers you but you'd lose the markings...and eventually even creakote will wear.

Past that the wear won't hurt your weapon or its function so unless it really troubles you why not accept it as the price of competition.

Reactions: agksimon

·
Registered
499 Posts
Garrett makes kydex holsters lined with leather. I have a couple of them suitable for IDPA. May reduce wear, but I don't compete enough to give a really long-term evaluation. I do like the smooth, quiet, draw.

Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Kydex is pretty harsh on the slide finish, no matter what the finish is. I have had ceracoat type finishes not last very long due to the repeated holster work. The harder finishes, like ION bond, hold up much better. They cost more, but in my opinion are worth the cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts