Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just now cleaned my CCP M2 in order to replace the rear sight with a new Walther rear sight. (I screwed up and damaged mine. Walther was great and sent me a new one asap) During cleaning I saw what I thought was a brass shaving in the slide on the breach side. I tried to remove it with a brush but it wouldn't move. I shone a light on it and discovered that a sliver of metal from the slide is separating from the the rest of the metal . I have pictures attached. Zoom in right above the second coil right above the red part of the striker spring. Has anyone seen this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yikes!!!! I have not seen anything like that before. Wonder if the heat treat failed?? I'd have been on the phone with Walther sooner than later. The second I'd have found that, they'd be hearing from me, I'd have it boxed up and sent to them for repair. That looks like material failure, not user error. How many rounds you put through it?? How long since last cleaning??

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
I just now cleaned my CCP M2 in order to replace the rear sight with a new Walther rear sight. (I screwed up and damaged mine. Walther was great and sent me a new one asap) During cleaning I saw what I thought was a brass shaving in the slide on the breach side. I tried to remove it with a brush but it wouldn't move. I shone a light on it and discovered that a sliver of metal from the slide is separating from the the rest of the metal . I have pictures attached. Zoom in right above the second coil right above the red part of the striker spring. Has anyone seen this?

Please read post #1 (7th bolded item down) in the link below. There you will find the issue and many follow-on posts discussing the issue.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
I think I would reach inside the striker channel and break that steel sliver off making sure to press it outward and away from the inside of the channel where the striker and spring runs. That way it wouldn't break off at just the wrong time. Did Umarex address this with the second generation pistol? 1917

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes!!!! I have not seen anything like that before. Wonder if the heat treat failed?? I'd have been on the phone with Walther sooner than later. The second I'd have found that, they'd be hearing from me, I'd have it boxed up and sent to them for repair. That looks like material failure, not user error. How many rounds you put through it?? How long since last cleaning??
It has about 500 rounds through it. I clean and lube after every range trip. It had been about 6 days since last cleaning.
I think I would reach inside the striker channel and break that steel sliver off making sure to press it outward and away from the inside of the channel where the striker and spring runs. That way it wouldn't break off at just the wrong time. Did Umarex address this with the second generation pistol? 1917
It is a gen 2. Depending on your ability to do so, but if you follow the gap to the left, you can see that there is separation or some kind of deterioration going pretty far down. I called Walther today but was on hold for more than an hour with no answer. I emailed support as well. I will try to call again tomorrow. This is my EDC and sending it in is not an option. At the moment I have no spare except a 1911. Coincidentally enough i am waiting on a recall/replacement to be shipped to my FFL on my other EDC. What luck huh? (Not a Walther btw)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has about 500 rounds through it. I clean and lube after every range trip. It had been about 6 days since last cleaning.

It is a gen 2. Depending on your ability to do so, but if you follow the gap to the left, you can see that there is separation or some kind of deterioration going pretty far down. I called Walther today but was on hold for more than an hour with no answer. I emailed support as well. I will try to call again tomorrow. This is my EDC and sending it in is not an option. At the moment I have no spare except a 1911. Coincidentally enough i am waiting on a recall/replacement to be shipped to my FFL on my other EDC. What luck huh? (Not a Walther btw)
UPDATE**** I decided to take a good look at this to decide whether the gun was safe to carry. I couldn't do much more then before but decided to shine a light down the firing pin/spring channel. The light shines through. What I have is a hole going from the pin channel into that stop groove. I have decided I will not carry the gun because firing it could be catastrophic. Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
WHOA!!!! The one picture shows better than the other, but either you're right and it is a hole going through showing that light, or it is the spot where the metal flaked off and it shows a really fine grain structure, meaning heat treat failed and that is where it failed mechanically. Good on you for going safe and not carrying it for now. I'd get it back to Walther and let them handle it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WHOA!!!! The one picture shows better than the other, but either you're right and it is a hole going through showing that light, or it is the spot where the metal flaked off and it shows a really fine grain structure, meaning heat treat failed and that is where it failed mechanically. Good on you for going safe and not carrying it for now. I'd get it back to Walther and let them handle it.
Its definitely a hole. I used a bore snake camera to look on the inside of the firing pin/spring channel. The pictures don't show how obvious it is. Talked to Walther today, and as of 4pm the slide is on it's way to Ft Smith. (They didn't pay for shipping, and estimate a slower than usual 10 day turnaround because of WuFlu) What is interesting, is the return form was labeled "Slide return form". At first I thought it was smart of them to save money on shipping by not shipping serialized parts (what is technically classified as a firearm) and avoiding increased costs, but then I remembered they aren't paying for shipping, I am. That suggests this happens often enough to warrant it's own form. Kind of worrying. I did ask about the Umarex/Walther argument and asked if there were "Real" Walthers and "Fake Umarex" Walthers, and they said no. One factory. Multiple distribution centers and importers. Bought a Baretta APX to carry until its return.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Its definitely a hole. I used a bore snake camera to look on the inside of the firing pin/spring channel. The pictures don't show how obvious it is. Talked to Walther today, and as of 4pm the slide is on it's way to Ft Smith. (They didn't pay for shipping, and estimate a slower than usual 10 day turnaround because of WuFlu) What is interesting, is the return form was labeled "Slide return form". At first I thought it was smart of them to save money on shipping by not shipping serialized parts (what is technically classified as a firearm) and avoiding increased costs, but then I remembered they aren't paying for shipping, I am. That suggests this happens often enough to warrant it's own form. Kind of worrying. I did ask about the Umarex/Walther argument and asked if there were "Real" Walthers and "Fake Umarex" Walthers, and they said no. One factory. Multiple distribution centers and importers. Bought a Baretta APX to carry until its return.
I responded above.....did you see it? The "cut" you see was present on virtually every CCP M1 manufactured and Walther's response was it was "normal" and caused no mechanical function issue. However, if you read through the thread I referenced you will find that Walther did replace a few slides still with the cut in them. We did have one member who experienced a slide failure with destruction due to that metal sliver you show in your photos. That sliver must be removed and the area smoothed down. Some M2's appear to have the same cut which believe it or not allows the ejector to function normally.....here's a video from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfz7gybzMLc

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Just spoke with CS and was informed the M2 is being milled exactly the same way the M1 was so that cut is on all CCP's.....M1 and M2.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Yes, this has been an issue since day one. A misalignment of milling to give clearance to something. There was much discussion regarding this years ago. Mr. Chandler joined and has come almost full circle in his knowledge of Walther pistols. The cut is just ugly, goes to the lack of care in the design and manufacture of the pistol but I don't think it has any negative effect on the function of the striker/striker spring as long as it does not break off and cause any roughness inside the striker channel. I would break it out of my pistol making sure that I pushed it outward and away from the channel. The pistol looks great, grips great, the polygonal barrel is accurate, the piston works fine....all of the screw ups are in the rear of the pistol. An Umarex pistol and not an Ulm model. 1917

Photo of similar from years ago by someone.

·
Registered
628 Posts
1917, that photo is painful to view! I had a shard of metal come off both of my CCP M1 9mm and M2 9mm pistols. I cleaned up any remaining sharp edges with a file and the pistols continued to function. Don't have those anymore, but I do have the M2 380 ACP model. The slide is supposedly 7075 aluminum with a steel striker housing insert and a steel pin at the back of the slide stop cutout. Here is a picture showing internal slide wear after 400 rounds. The ejector channel seam is still intact. Maybe it will take longer for the issue to show up with the lower energy of the 380 ACP.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Is there any reason in either pistol that the striker/striker spring channel could not be made a smaller diameter? It seems that the left side channel was cut for clearance of the ejector. (been a long time) Creating this clearance caused the milling to cut into the striker channel. Perhaps the ejector could only be fitted just so and the channel was necessary...? But why not reduce the diameter of the striker channel. It is a centerfire pistol. What does diameter have to do with anything. I'm sure a striker spring with enough energy could be easily devised. I see light trigger bar swag marks on the bottom rail of the slide similar to what I see on a P22. I'd still have to have a careful look at the abrupt edges of the firing pin block and how it interacts with the rear system housing rail. How do you like the .380 model? Any issues? Soft shooting, even easier slide to rack? 1917

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there any reason in either pistol that the striker/striker spring channel could not be made a smaller diameter? It seems that the left side channel was cut for clearance of the ejector. (been a long time) Creating this clearance caused the milling to cut into the striker channel. Perhaps the ejector could only be fitted just so and the channel was necessary...? But why not reduce the diameter of the striker channel. It is a centerfire pistol. What does diameter have to do with anything. I'm sure a striker spring with enough energy could be easily devised. I see light trigger bar swag marks on the bottom rail of the slide similar to what I see on a P22. I'd still have to have a careful look at the abrupt edges of the firing pin block and how it interacts with the rear system housing rail. How do you like the .380 model? Any issues? Soft shooting, even easier slide to rack? 1917
I have the .380 model as well and it is smooth to shoot. Very little recoil and the slide is easy to rack. I cannot compare it to the 9mm version with the steel slide, however.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Good idea about the smaller diameter striker channel.

For my situation I like the 380 model better than the 9 mm. More pleasant to operate and shoot. Still has the carryover design issues that were discussed and smoothing out the trigger is still a project, but so far this one has functioned with no issues using FMJ target ammo.

Here is a closeup of the rear system housing rail after 400 rounds.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
The reason the milling in the ejector channel is so aggressive is in the "design" and position of the striker within the sear block. The ejector location and design of the sear block allows no adjustment in positioning the ejector. In fact the ejector had to be angled so it is aligned with the casing head when it's extracted. If you look at the ejector in pj49's photo you can see the angle I describe. That angle requires a widening of the channel and the widening causes the cut.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a CCP M2 about two weeks ago. Finally got to the range last Thursday and fired 100 rounds of Armscor 115gr target ammo with no failures at all. After cleaning the gun I have found quite a fracture in the striker channel. I contacted Walther this morning and was asked to send the pictures in. I am currently waiting for a response.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts