Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is my slide end cap wiggles down enough to keep the slide from going full close. Has anyone ever see or hear of this? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The pressure from the striker spring holds the plastic end piece of the striker assembly against the end cap, which stops the cap from sliding down. That is how you remove the cap, to push down on the end of the striker assembly so it can slide down.

Have you inspected the striker for damage? What about the end cap?

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Perhaps a good picture or two, or more..some in a macro setting, might help us to identify exactly what is wrong.

Have you had the striker out of it? It's possible you didn't get the cap seated all the way in.
As obscene mentioned, the end of the striker assy hold the cap in place. Unless something is broken, or mis-aligned, I'd say the cap isn't seated far enough up, or else the striker housing itself is broken.

Take some good pics, well lit, and if you feel comfortable, disassemble the striker carefully and show some shots of it as well.

Also, what's the date code on it? It's on the right side of the gun, there's a DE, a small symbol of an eagle over the letter N, then a second set of letters, BB, BC, BD. Also, how many rounds and did you purchase it new?
Any mods?

Surely it's an easy fix, unless something is seriously wrong, in which case we'll be able to determine from the pics, and if that's the case, you need to call Fort Smith and get a shipping label and get 'er sent in for a fix-up.

'Luck! :)

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Does your slide plate look like the one on the left on this picture?:

Does the slide plate and the back of the frame look like this on your pistol?:

Have you taken the slide plate off before, and installed it back in position? If so, did you slide the slide plate up until it "clicked"? If you take the slide plate off, and reinstall it, does it "click"?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't taken anything apart as of yet. It has just slid down. My end cap matches those in the pictures. I have wanted to take it apart to really give her a good cleaning.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I haven't taken anything apart as of yet. It has just slid down. My end cap matches those in the pictures. I have wanted to take it apart to really give her a good cleaning.
As a side note, keeping your striker channel and striker clean and dry is critical to proper function. If it is a self defense gun then I highly suggest you learn how to remove the striker and clean it as well as removing the extractor and cleaning it thoroughly too. Both are extremely easy on a PPQ. You can very, very lightly oil the areas with signs of wear on the extractor as long as it is clean, but the striker and striker channel need to be clean and dry only, no oil or lube at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't taken the slide apart. I have just done normal cleaning. Everything looks fine. Guess I will try and disassemble and take pictures.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
RB,
It really sounds as if the slide end cap hadn't been properly seated. after field stripping your Q, with a small punch carefully depress the striker assembly by pushing the pin above and to the right of the end cap. Pull the end cap down and then the whole striker assembly will be able to be removed from the slide. You'll see a circular depression on the inside of the end cap, this is where the striker assembly seats and helps hold the end cap in place.

When you replace the assembley it helps to depress the pin again and slide the end cap completely into the frame of the slide making sure it is properly alined with the slide itself. After completing this use your thumb to try to move the end cap. If you have properly seated the end cap it won't move at all.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: Adrenolin and pani

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Take the slide plate off the pistol and take a look at the back of it, as well as the rear of the striker assembly that mates to it.

Pictures of both would definitely be helpful.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Walther PPQ .40 cal. Recently my slide would not return to the firing position. Missed by approx half inch. Examined and couldn't remove the slide. Called Walther service and they had me return the gun. Just got it back, said slide end cap was not all the way in position. They replaced it and returned to me. I have fired 2000 rounds before this occurred. Have never removed the end cap. Now I'm a little paranoid. Any thoughts. Was it just a random failure. I will check now as part of the cleaning process. By the way I was very satisfied with the response time, etc. only bad thing was shipping cost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts