Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for my ignorance. Purchased a new Walther PPQ .45 last weekend. Haven't even shot it yet with live ammunition but today after watching some more YT video, I cocked it backed I pressed the trigger and heard a "snap" when I should have and I figured that the recoil spring came out of place. Now the slide doesn't want to come off because of that. Has anyone had this issue and can someone offer a remedy before I either take it to a gunsmith or I send back to Walther (under 30 day guarantee to that they can fix).

I went on YT and saw that a lot of folks had the same issue but more with a Glock above all else and not too much info with a Walther PPQ .45.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That snap you heard was the striker being released. Your recoil spring is okey dokey.

Download the manual here https://waltherarms.com/manuals/PPQ-M2-Manual-2796066-and-PPQ-M2-Navy-2815249.pdf

Field stripping starts on page 23.
Thanks for responding. The striker was already released since I pulled the tripper a few seconds earlier and I got the regular striker sound that comes with pulling the trigger. But when I pulled trigger shortly after again without ever pulling back the slide (which would reset the striker pin), there was a second "pop" that sounded off which caught me off guard since I never pulled the slide back again.

Because of the second odd sounding pop after I pulled the trigger, The take down catch is extremely hard to pull down as if something its blocking it from being pulled down on both sides which is preventing me from removing the slide. I have pulled the slide off and stripped the weapon in the past couple of days in order to become more familiar with my new weapon but now this doesn't want to come off.

·
Premium Member
13,732 Posts
Before you edited both post, in the first post you said you had previously removed the slide and stripped the weapon. In the second post you referred to a tripper. I'm at a complete loss as to what condition this pistol is in now or if after your previous stripping and reassembly the parts were installed/reassembled correct. For that reason, I'm out.

Take it to a gunsmith and pay him to fix it.

My gunsmith charges $50 an hour, $75 if I watch and $200 an hour if I've worked on it before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before you edited both post, in the first post you said you had previously removed the slide and stripped the weapon. In the second post you referred to a tripper. I'm at a complete loss as to what condition this pistol is in now or if after your previous stripping and reassembly the parts were installed/reassembled correct. For that reason, I'm out.

Take it to a gunsmith and pay him to fix it.

My gunsmith charges $50 an hour, $75 if I watch and $200 an hour if I've worked on it before.
Thanks for following up. Not that it's a big deal but I don't believe I ever edited either post.

I did strip the weapon previously earlier this week. Not sure why yesterday I was having such a hard time with it. I needed to purchase ammunition so I also decided to take the weapon with me to the store that handled the FFL. The gentleman behind the counter did struggle with it for a moment but eventually he got it off. He showed me a better was of removing the slide. A MUCH easier way on how to handle the weapon during removal. He had me try it as well in front of him. I felt a bit silly but again, this is all knew to me.

A gun smith was not needed after all and I will totally chalk this up to user error (my error) and not the weapon. Thanks for the tip with the gun smith as well. I didn't know what they charge so at least I'll have something to compare to if and when I need one.

I apologize for not knowing everything but I'm just trying to read up as much as I can on here and learn from others experiences - Thank you once again.

·
Premium Member
13,732 Posts
You're welcome.....glad you got er' fingered out. Now, the next thing you should do is get some lessons on how to properly hold/aim/fire/handle the weapon. It'll be money and time well spent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts