Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought my first pistol, a p99as in 9mm and I've been loving it. The ergonomics are perfect, I love the balance, recoil control, and it's way more accurate than I expected. That being said, one time at the range recently I was attempting to activate the AS without ejecting a round by pulling the slide back 10mm as it states. Now I don't really have high expectations for this feature since it really only helps in target shooting anyways but I noticed that cocking the slide like this with a round in the chamber is VERY clunky. I believe this is because you're basically making the extractor toy around with the casing in this motion, so I get that it would be stiff. However, many times when doing this motion the slide will hang up just barely out of battery. The slide stop lever won't do anything, the decocker won't do anything, and the magazine is unaffected. (I initially thought this was coming from the round in the magazine fighting the one in the chamber but no. Same thing happens with no magazine). I can make the slide hang up this way just by racking it and slowly letting it return but ONLY with a round in the chamber. This all wouldn't be an issue except this hang up happened the other day when the gun cycled normally. I just slapped the back of the slide to return it to battery and it shot like normal, but it got me thinking about all this. I've seen some stuff in the forums but does anyone know WHY it happens? My best guess is it's just a consequence of the AS system but I'm not sure.

TLDR: slide hangs up out of battery when racking slowly with a round in the chamber... Why?
Thanks for any replies

·
Premium Member
13,621 Posts
Well, the moral to this story is to not rack it slowly. I'm not kidding. When you fire a round, the slide will be blown back, extracting and ejecting the empty case, then the recoil spring will start moving the slide back forward, pretty early in this movement, the single action sear will pop up and grab the front of the striker foot...holding the striker in place as the slide continues forward, stripping the top round out of the magazine and shoving it into the chamber....as the slide continues forward and gets to a point about 3/8" from all the way forward the barrel will start to cam or move up. While moving up, its forcing the rim of the case under the extractor and if there's enough momentum left, the slide will continue all the way forward into battery. Keep in mind that when the single action sear catches the striker, the momentum and the power contained in the recoil spring are carrying/forcing the slide forward, while at the same time, compressing the striker spring. That's important, as the slide is returning forward, it's compressing the striker spring....or said another way, the act of compressing the striker spring requires energy....this energy is being provided by the recoil spring.

A semi auto pistol was not designed to work in a slow leisurely manner. Slide momentum, velocity, energy are important to the proper operation of a semi auto pistol.

Can you rack the slide slowly? Sure you can, but you'll probably have to help it return to battery.

In addition, a semi pistol must be held firmly with a good/proper grip to ensure proper operation. If the pistol is not held firmly enough, its common for the slide to not return all the way to battery. There's nothing wrong with your pistol. Best thing you can do is go to the range and get some instruction on proper grip.

Now, if you want to put the trigger into AS mode, all you have to do is a full rack of the slide and the trigger will wind up all the way forward in AS position.

If you're in SA and you want to put the trigger into AS, then YES, you can move the slide to the rear slightly and the trigger will pop forward into the AS position. If you have a round in the chamber you'll more than likely have to push the slide back forward into battery. Again, this is normal.

You might also be interested in reading thru this Walther P99 Trigger Systems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the moral to this story is to not rack it slowly. I'm not kidding. When you fire a round, the slide will be blown back, extracting and ejecting the empty case, then the recoil spring will start moving the slide back forward, pretty early in this movement, the single action sear will pop up and grab the front of the striker foot...holding the striker in place as the slide continues forward, stripping the top round out of the magazine and shoving it into the chamber....as the slide continues forward and gets to a point about 3/8" from all the way forward the barrel will start to cam or move up. While moving up, its forcing the rim of the case under the extractor and if there's enough momentum left, the slide will continue all the way forward into battery. Keep in mind that when the single action sear catches the striker, the momentum and the power contained in the recoil spring are carrying/forcing the slide forward, while at the same time, compressing the striker spring. That's important, as the slide is returning forward, it's compressing the striker spring....or said another way, the act of compressing the striker spring requires energy....this energy is being provided by the recoil spring.

A semi auto pistol was not designed to work in a slow leisurely manner. Slide momentum, velocity, energy are important to the proper operation of a semi auto pistol.

Can you rack the slide slowly? Sure you can, but you'll probably have to help it return to battery.

In addition, a semi pistol must be held firmly with a good/proper grip to ensure proper operation. If the pistol is not held firmly enough, its common for the slide to not return all the way to battery. There's nothing wrong with your pistol. Best thing you can do is go to the range and get some instruction on proper grip.

Now, if you want to put the trigger into AS mode, all you have to do is a full rack of the slide and the trigger will wind up all the way forward in AS position.

If you're in SA and you want to put the trigger into AS, then YES, you can move the slide to the rear slightly and the trigger will pop forward into the AS position. If you have a round in the chamber you'll more than likely have to push the slide back forward into battery. Again, this is normal.

You might also be interested in reading thru this Walther P99 Trigger Systems.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the detail. I get the idea of needing to be firm and fast with a pistol. Lots of inertia and friction in these moving parts.

I might have posted this on the wrong category but like I said this is a p99as so a gen 2 pistol. Therefore when I'm trying to get the AS (basically single action) trigger, I have to cock it back without ejecting the live round... But yeah it's not really necessary to do so in a combat situation.

And don't worry, Im not limp wristing it lol

·
Premium Member
13,621 Posts
Read this link, it'll explain the three trigger modes of the P99AS. Walther P99 Trigger Systems

AS is not (basically single action). It is single action with a long pull. When you do a full rack of the slide you'll wind up in AS. If you want to put the trigger in SA (single action, short pull), you'll wind up there after every shot. If you want to use DA, just press the decocker button...that will release the striker (you'll hear a click) and the trigger will be in DA mode, meaning that as you pull the trigger, you're also compressing the striker spring. NOW, if you're in DA and want to put the trigger into AS, then you can move the slide rearward about 3/8", the single action sear will pop up in front of the striker, holding the striker while you force the slide back forward.

Read the link.

·
Premium Member
13,621 Posts
Here's a link discussing the PPQ trigger operation. The PPQ and P99 are essentially the same mechanisms, although the P99 has a decocker button that, when depressed, pushes the single action lever rearwards, releasing the striker which will be stopped prior to hitting the primer. Other n' that, the single action release is the same.

PPQ Trigger Issue Resolved Post 6 and 8

1 - 7 of 7 Posts