Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda a serious/dumb post but does anyone ever or have you ever slept with a gun under your pillow? I haven’t but curious if anyone else has.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Used to. But since I've got the wife desensitized towards the presence of guns, and then some, LOL, it's sitting on the nightstand now.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
no, gun has always been on the night table.

Reactions: PoppyAOK

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Ive given this a lot of thought. I routinely have a gun on a piece of furniture next to the bed, but it is in plain sight. I have often wondered if someone gets in without me waking up, and really gets the drop on me, they might see the gun before I wake up. Pretty far fetched, but I have thought about keeping a gun out of sight, under the pillow instead. However, what would it be? A 1911? Cocked and locked? A DA revolver or auto? I get these thoughts about grabbing the gun while sleeping, and doing what I do instinctively: thumbing off the safety and pulling the trigger, or DA revolver, just squeezing..... SO, now I'm thinking single action revolver. I do not think anyone would ever set off an uncocked SA revolver, so it would be the ultimate SAFE firearm under the pillow. Haven't made the commitment to change armaments yet.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
No. Next to the bed but not under the pillow. That sounnds really uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Lord no. If I felt at anytime that I needed to, I would either move or make better life decisions. I can’t imagine anyone being that paranoid.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I used to keep my PPS (decocked of course) under my "piller".

It does help if you have a nice thick memory foam Serta pillow, too ;)

My asshole dogs will get an intruder long before I ever got my fingers on the PPS, so now it gives my lamp and phone company at night on the nightstand LOL.

Well, one asshole dog, and two lazy farting boxers who or may not actually bit a stranger. Have they before....hmmm.

Yes. The new dog is hell on wheels. Nobody, but nobody gets in without his being a level 4 alarm over the matter.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I considered sleeping with a gun under my pillow, decided it was more prudent to divorce my ex-wife.

BaDum.....Tshhhhh.

No really, take my wife.....PLEASE!

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Ok, I have to add to my simple reply that I do not do it after reading that some people do, did, or are thinking about it.

Reasons not to do it:

Safety, especially with a striker fired pistol with no manual safety.

Accessibility, no one sleeps without moving somewhat while sleeping. Positioning the gun under a pillow does not mean it will not move.If the position of the grip changes you might not get a good grip on the gun if you need it

Wasted motion, if your head is on the pillow it is pressing down on the gun. You will have to lift your head to access it then move your arm and hand to grip it. if you position the gin on a night table it will exactly where you put and oriented as you want it if you need it.

I sleep on my sides. If I am on my right side all I have to do is extend my arm and reach for the gun on the table. The gun is positioned so that it will be immediately graspable. If I sleep on my left side all I have tp do is roll onto my back and reach with my right hand and then the gun can be grasped easily. If I am one is a singe motion the other is a double motion, but the gun never moves, and it not impinged by my head on the pillow.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I have been known to fall asleep with my gun still in my holster on my hip but never under my pillow. Normally my carry gun is hot in its holster on the night stand and my Q is not chambered in my safe beneath it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive given this a lot of thought. I routinely have a gun on a piece of furniture next to the bed, but it is in plain sight. I have often wondered if someone gets in without me waking up, and really gets the drop on me, they might see the gun before I wake up. P

For some, I think is a very valid concern and I'm glad you brought it up.

I'm currently in a pretty small apartment where you could literally break thru the sliding glass patio door and be in my bedroom in about 6 large steps.

I've often wondered if my 45 on the nightstand or shotgun sitting by the door would be more of a liability than a benefit in such a scenario.

I'm a fairly light sleeper and my dog almost always joins me in bed so it seems unlikely they'd get the drop on me...

But if 2 or 3 people did a forceful home invasion (say perhaps, somehow, they found out I had a gun safe or other valuable property and it was targeted) it doesn't seem entirely outside the realm of possibility what one could grab the shotgun by the bedroom door and use it against me.

Under the pillow seems impossible for me. I toss and turn and always seek out the colder side of the pillow so there is no way a gun is going to stay in place.

I'm strongly considering getting one of those bedside holsters that tucks into the bedframe/boxspring/mattress. Seems like a more discrete way to keep a weapon nearby and in a status that would allow a consistent draw.

·
Registered
629 Posts
"Tell me James, do you still sleep with a gun under your pillow"? Tomorrow Never Dies.

Reactions: 23738

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hahaha, Archer.

I love how accurate they are at portraying firearms in the series, Lugers are illustrated with amazing detail.

Yet the DEagles are always shown decocked before firing.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Bear in mind, for this topic, that Charlie Manson and his crew routinely broke into people's homes in CA and the residents were often never aware that the Manson family had done so, even standing over some of them while they slept. A well trained person can enter and move about a house rather quietly, and I'm not sure that with me snoring over all all the squeaky floor boards that might be tripped, that I would hear every attempted break in. Maybe the rest of you sleep with one eye open, and I'd like to be that vigilant, but reality is a different story.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
We have a large territorial/protective dog that barks when someone comes near our home, sleeps on the landing of the stairs, and there's a security gate at the top of the stairs. The top floor is a long "L" shaped balcony overlooking the lower living area (that is lit well enough to identify faces at night), with firearms ready to go in the rooms on both ends of the balcony.

My home is a dangerous gauntlet for an intruder, with the odds stacked in my favor, just how I like it.

Reactions: Mamba

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My large territorial Rottweiler passed away several years ago at the age of 12. Now it's just me and the gun(s). At times, he used to snore louder than me.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts