Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I recently bought a P30 and am surprised to find that their size and weight are pretty much the same. However, P99’s grip is smaller and has a lower bore axle than P30.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
You'd be even more surprised to see what little difference there is in size between a P99c and a 5th gen Glock 19.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I tried a P30 out a while ago and initially was impressed. However, the higher bore axis really started to bother me. Not sure why they needed to configure it that way. Also, while H&K does do paddles, they're very short (you can replace them with longer ones but the process struck me as a PITA - why not just put them on that way at the factory like Walther did after the Gen 1 P99s?).

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
You'd be even more surprised to see what little difference there is in size between a P99c and a 5th gen Glock 19.
But the ergos of the Glock suck in comparison even though they eat just a about everything you feed them. I keep mine locked up while my P99c rides my hip as I type. If want to go 15+1 then my mag with grip extension is nearby.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I tried a P30 out a while ago and initially was impressed. However, the higher bore axis really started to bother me. Not sure why they needed to configure it that way.
Because the hammer/strut/guts of the SA/SA take up more room. What IS amazing about the P30 is that it does all that and is fairly light. I really don't notice the bore axis thing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe what I should’ve said is that P99’s grip allows me to hold the pistol much higher up than P30. It is like having a lower bore axis to my hand.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I own both and the problem with the P99 is that it can only be carried safely in the double action mode and that does not sit well with me. The HKP30s can be carried cocked and locked or thumb cocked on the draw, your choice.

The P99 has a much weaker ignition system as well. I tested it by using an empty case with a deliberately seated high primer and it failed 3 times in a row. This is because unlike the P30 the P99 is not at full cock but at partial cock (called a pre-loaded ignition system) like the Glock which is only 67 per cent cocked. I do not know what percentage the P99 is cocked at but it must be about the same because it failed just like 3 Gocks I tested. So what does this mean to the average Joe? It means keep your Glock or P99 only lightly lubed with a good low temperature lube. Either of which could cause the Glock or P99 to give faulty ignition and never use hand loads in either gun. On the other hand the bone crushing ignition system of the H&K P30s has no such problem.

I might add my P99 also has way too tight a chamber. Some of my hand-load's would not even fit into the chamber but with the H&K, no problem. I would say the P99 Chamber should always be kept very clean as to ensure reliable feeding with factory ammo and never use hand loads for self defense in it.

My choice for carry is either the HK P30S or the HKP30SK hands down. The HKP30SK is even smaller than the Glock 19 and much smaller than the P99

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
So your handloads being garbage means the gun sucks?
Now Now just because his hand loads may be out of spec...they aren't garbage for him :)

But I'm not entirely sure he understands the trigger system...:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Now Now just because his hand loads may be out of spec...they aren't garbage for him :)

But I'm not entirely sure he understands the trigger system...:)
I understand it perfectly unless my P99 system is different than yours. My gun can be used in double action for the first shot or single action.

There is a 3rd option that is really weird and I do not know if Walther intentionally made it this way or if it was just the unexpected result of their design.

The 3rd system is that if you decock it and then pull the slide back slightly you put it in the 3rd mode of operation. This mode has the trigger fully forward but it is NOT in the double action mode but rather it is in a type of single action mode with a very long effortless initial stroke of the trigger. As you pull the trigger there is almost no resistance until the trigger gets to the single action position and you then have the normal single action pull. It is not safe to carry the gun in this mode nor in the normal single action mode either. The pistol is only safe to carry in the double action mode.

By the way my P99 was one of the first production models made 20 years ago.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So your handloads being garbage means the gun sucks?
I was probably hand loading before you were ever born. My first handload was made in 1968.

I have had problems with Walther chambers being too tight in the much worshiped P88 as well. For years I wanted one because of all the gun writer ballyhoo on how fabulously accurate it supposedly was. The reality was that after I finally bought one many years later it was no more accurate than my Browning High Powers but unlike my High Powers the chamber was even tighter than my P99 and brother we are talking tight as an undersized glove on the hand.

If given a choice for reliability I trust my High Powers. The Walther P88 and P99 are ok if as I said before you keep the chamber clean and use good quality factory ammo.

I might add if you want nightmares try loading lead bullets in either Walther pistol as you will be in for a real headache unless you have been loading lead bullets for many years and know all the tricks to get them to chamber reliably. I seldom shoot jacketed bullets out of any of my handguns because of the cost and no my lead bullets are not less accurate or less reliable than jacketed bullets because as I have said I have been doing this since 1968.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

I recently bought a P30 and am surprised to find that their size and weight are pretty much the same. However, P99’s grip is smaller and has a lower bore axle than P30.

I have both and to me the P 99 is much closer in weight and size to the Glock 19 with the HK P 30 being closer in weight and size to the Glock 17.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
But the ergos of the Glock suck in comparison even though they eat just a about everything you feed them. I keep mine locked up while my P99c rides my hip as I type. If want to go 15+1 then my mag with grip extension is nearby.

The ergos on the Glock are designed for shooting it and not fondling it. I use to complain bitterly about Glocks ergos until I realized the broad grip which feels like a 2x4 actually dissipates recoil by spreading it out and the low bore axis gives less muzzle flip. However, since I like to fondle my pistols I am not that sold on Glocks. They are a pistol for war or the apocalypse though and if I could only have one I would take the Glock 17.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

I think the P 99 is also capable of eating anything you want to feed it just as the Glock.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

P99 and P30 are almost identical in size and weight according to mine.

The P 99 weighs in at 24 ounces and the HK P 30 weighs in at 26+ ounces. The P 30 is a heavier pistol. Trust me I packed one all over New Orleans, with my head on a swivel cause the Big Easy is crime ridden, when my niece got married there. It is a heavy pistol. I will settle for the P 99 is in between the P 30 and the Glock 19!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I was probably hand loading before you were ever born. My first handload was made in 1968.

I have had problems with Walther chambers being too tight in the much worshiped P88 as well. For years I wanted one because of all the gun writer ballyhoo on how fabulously accurate it supposedly was. The reality was that after I finally bought one many years later it was no more accurate than my Browning High Powers but unlike my High Powers the chamber was even tighter than my P99 and brother we are talking tight as an undersized glove on the hand.

If given a choice for reliability I trust my High Powers. The Walther P88 and P99 are ok if as I said before you keep the chamber clean and use good quality factory ammo.

I might add if you want nightmares try loading lead bullets in either Walther pistol as you will be in for a real headache unless you have been loading lead bullets for many years and know all the tricks to get them to chamber reliably. I seldom shoot jacketed bullets out of any of my handguns because of the cost and no my lead bullets are not less accurate or less reliable than jacketed bullets because as I have said I have been doing this since 1968.

Aha another grumpy old guy. I was issued my first 1911 in 1964 and cannot tell you when I started reloading off and on. First press was a turret and my favorite cartridge to reload was the old 45 long colt with its thin walled case. Have not tried any reloads in the Walthers yet as I have been shooting other pistol for a while.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts