Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I am new here.  I have a French Manurhin PP in 7.65 and I love is so much I want to get the real deal, but in a 22LR.

I will be getting an AWC silencer soon so I wanted to know how well those 22LR Walthers adapt to the task.  More specifically, will I need a new barrel or can the existing one be threaded and function well with a flush thread protector if I am shooting without the silencer?  Also, how well would a typical Walther PP function with subsonic 22LR ammo?

I am also thinking I would do better with a shorter version of the PP (is it PPK or PPK/S), in 22LR, so the overall lenth of the pistols with the supressor is not obnoxiously long.  Can anyone comment?

Last, but not least, would a supressor block the sights on a PP?

Great forum.  Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
First off- Do you know it's illegal to own a supressor unless you have a Class III FFL? Even then I'm not so sure. Much less to carry it in CCW from?

Second- Not only would the exterior of the muzzle have to threaded, I would think the slide would have to be milled out to make room for the threaded sleeve going around it.

I'm all for CCW but exlaining this thing to a cop when he/she asks to see your gun might require some very fancy dance steps.

Finally- The PP, PPK, PPK/S all have fixed (and not floating) bbls. so supporting the muzzle of the bbl. souldn't be a problem when the supressor is removed.

I'd like to know who is gonna do the work fitting all this together and make it reliable.

BTW- No offence but there is no sunch thing as a "silencer", the gun will still make noise, wheather it be from the round's gun powder being fired or the noise from the action recipricating.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not necessary to have a class III FFL. All you need is to have an ATF form and fingerprint cards, along with your local police dept's chief signing off that he did a background check on you. The form has to be submitted along with a check for $200 for the tax stamp. Once you get this thing approved, the "silencer" (or whatever class III device you got approved for) is yours.

I don't intend to carry the supressor with me except to and from the range, and if I did, I would need to have a copy of all the paperwork for it with me. Besides, there is nothing prohibiting me from carrying my registered and fully legal supressor with me.

The question about the barrel is more about the slide. If there is more air between the front slide hole and a thread protector that is the same diameter as the barrel, there will still be a small groove where the protector meets the barrel. Would this be OK for functionality?

My question should be cleared up: has anyone actually silenced their Walther PP in 22LR and how did they do it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The question is, even if I stop hating that plastic result of poor engineering, where do I get the one that works well enough with standard velocity ammo? I have seen my share of those and I have given up hope to get one that works reliably with 50% of the ammo.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've seen Walther PPK's for sale in .22 with the barrel set up for a silencer. Check gunsamerica, I believe Bob Adams (in Albuquerque NM) has one of these up for sale.

As the barrel is pressed in to the receiver, barrel swapping is a little complex. However, I've often toyed with the idea of using a threaded PP barrel on a PPK frame, to avoid having to alter the slide in any way.

Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (limeyinaz @ Mar. 27 2005,12:18)]I've seen Walther PPK's for sale in .22 with the barrel set up for a silencer. Check gunsamerica, I believe Bob Adams (in Albuquerque NM) has one of these up for sale.

As the barrel is pressed in to the receiver, barrel swapping is a little complex. However, I've often toyed with the idea of using a threaded PP barrel on a PPK frame, to avoid having to alter the slide in any way.

Good luck with your quest.
Uh, $2000? No offense, but that is crazy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Having dealt with AWC on many occasions, for both suppressors and releated gunsmithing, I would inquire with them about barrel threading your PP.

The PP series of pistols takes to suppressors well and there are many examples out there. Replacement of the standard recoil spring with a reduced rate spring will allow for standard velocity ammunition. Barrel replacement is easily done by a competent gunsmith.

Good luck with your project and one more word of advice; get a threaded barrel protector.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I own an AAC Pilot for my Walther P22 and I also own a Walther PP in .22 caliber that I just had threaded for my Pilot.

It's definitely a nice setup (but prices for PP .22 mags? Ouch!)

I actually just had my Walther G22 threaded for the Pilot, but I won't get that back till next week, so I can't comment on its performance.

As someone else suggested, wherever you get your suppressor from, you'll most likely want to have them or their gunsmith thread your barrel for your to ensure proper alignment. This isn't like threading on a flash suppressor. If the setup is off in just the least bit, not good, especially a Class III item.

Apparently, AAC uses Noveske Rifleworks in OR for their threading. I can highly recommend his work if your can manufacturer comes back with no support for you on this. His website is here: http://www.jnrifleworks.com/

BTW, they had to thread the barrel then add an adapter similar to the one used to suppress the P22 pistols. I can use the PP without the can, but there is a large piece that now extends from the barrel, and I must keep it on there since with it removed, the threads on the barrel itself get in the way of the slide. I guess I could have also asked for a smooth cover for the threads on the outside of the barrel, but I didn't know what to expect until I got the pistol back.

Send me an email address, and I'll send you a few pictures of it.

Oh, expect to wait a few months for this to be done, what with the AWB expiring and all that.

Overall I'd do it again. Very slick setup, and much higher quality feel than the P22, but you already knew that....

-Jeff Gilbertson

·
Registered
58 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ikorman @ Mar. 25 2005,5:36)]The question is, even if I stop hating that plastic result of poor engineering, where do I get the one that works well enough with standard velocity ammo?  I have seen my share of those and I have given up hope to get one that works reliably with 50% of the ammo.
I own 2 P22s. One is flawless, the other will ONLY work with CCI Mini Mags (without the can).  

A Gemtech can on the contrary P22 causes it to perform just fine will anything down to a .22 short.  Go figure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's not necessary to have a class III FFL. All you need is to have an ATF form and fingerprint cards, along with your local police dept's chief signing off that he did a background check on you. The form has to be submitted along with a check for $200 for the tax stamp. Once you get this thing approved, the "silencer" (or whatever class III device you got approved for) is yours.

I don't intend to carry the supressor with me except to and from the range, and if I did, I would need to have a copy of all the paperwork for it with me. Besides, there is nothing prohibiting me from carrying my registered and fully legal supressor with me.

The question about the barrel is more about the slide. If there is more air between the front slide hole and a thread protector that is the same diameter as the barrel, there will still be a small groove where the protector meets the barrel. Would this be OK for functionality?

My question should be cleared up: has anyone actually silenced their Walther PP in 22LR and how did they do it?
I just found an adapter for 1/2x28 can. I have pistol and can. Adapter in the mail.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just found an adapter for 1/2x28 can. I have pistol and can. Adapter in the mail.
I don't have a PP gun with a can but do have a Browning Buckmark with one. No, can't see the sights for the can. I put a red dot sight on it, for which I'm not fond of, but you gotta do what you gotta do. They're fun so long as you understand they won't "silence" the gun, just make it very quiet. No TV or movie "whish." About like dropping a medium-size book on a hardwood floor. The P 22 is already set up for a silencer, which is far more compatible to one's wallet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts