Walther Forums banner

Silencerd or Not - Who likes the PPKs and PPK/Ss silenced?

• Walther PPK Stainless Steel (silenced)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walther PPK Blued (silenced)

• Walther PPK/S Stainless Steel (silenced)

• Walther PPK/S 2 Tone (silenced)

• None of the above, I hate silencers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we were able to silence our weapons, which I wish we were able to, who would want to. I picked Walther PPK/S Stainless Steel (silenced). Hope ya'll like the choices.

·
Registered
713 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (PPK/S Guy @ Nov. 23 2005,20:24)]If we were able to silence our weapons, which I wish we were able to, who would want to. I picked Walther PPK/S Stainless Steel (silenced). Hope ya'll like the choices.

Your water pistol doesn't make noise anyway. If you want a silencer shoot thru a 2 liter plastic pop bottle

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Reading this thread, I couldn't help myself and had to post this:

I know it's a rimfire and not a centerfire, but it's still real sweet. I'd love to get a .32 can for my centerfire PP, but haven't been able to locate one.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Ah, to each his own I guess. Of course, organizations ranging from the Mossad to the CIA (and its forerunner the OSS) would beg to disagree with you.

I trust you've never even fired one. Suppressed .22's are by far the most common suppressed weapons out there, not only for their all but silent operation but also their lower cost of ownership and use.

Virtually every manufacturer of suppressor makes at least one, if not several, types of .22 cans and/or integrally suppressed pistols/rifles.

The following companies are considered to be at the top of the suppressor market. Check out their rimfire products. You may recognize some of the host pistols:

www.advanced-armament.com
www.awcsystech.com
www.gem-tech.com
www.swrmfg.com

Not sure where you are coming from with that remark.

And one more thing, it's perfectly legal to own a suppressor (or machine gun, short barrelled weapon, or any other weapon or destructive device) in over 30 states, assuming you're not a convicted felon or have a history of mental illness. A nice summary of the legalities of owning Class III items can be found here:

http://www.advanced-armament.com/owners.asp

indeed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My point is why do you want a silencer for such a quiet gun. I have fired a .22 from a Ruger 10/22 and it wasn't loud at all. I dissagree with you, I think that .22s aren't the most common things suppressed. I'd have to go with MP5s or M4A1s.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Thanks for the post JG. Interesting stuff.

PPK/S Guy, I don't see how the color would matter...

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
That was my whole point - just to provide some information on the thread. Nothing more.

Agreed that a .22 out of a carbine is pretty quiet outdoors; however, try shooting a pistol .22 indoors or even outdoors without hearing protection - pretty loud. Within a few feet of the pistol, you'll get a db reading of well over 140, and since the db scale is logarithmic, and every 3db increase equates to the sound being half again as loud, that's quite a racket. With a good can attached (and most modern ones are really good), it's as quiet, if not more so, than an air pistol, and a lot more powerful and capable.

There's a whole bunch of good info available on this topic. Best book is Al Paulson's "Silencer - History and Performance." Both Volumes 1 and 2 are a treasure trove of info on this topic. You don't need to be an engineer to understand it all (although I am), but it does read a bit more on the intellectual side than the latest from Clancy, for example.

As for the $200 tax, agreed we shouldn't have to pay it, but that's equal to a decent dinner with the wife, and while I love her dearly, I'll gladly skip a few to have toys like this.

And with regards to commonality of calibers that are suppressed, there are by far more .22 cans out there than any other caliber simply due to cost and usefulness. Most 9mm fodder is supersonic, so you still get the ballistic crack from the weapon. That's why something like the HK MP5SD is being phased out, since it is heavily ported to keep the rounds sub-sonic. Great for sound performance, but lousy for ballistic performance.

.45 ACP is a much better (but much harder) round for suppression, since it can stay subsonic yet remain very effective. Most 9mm ammo must be above 1,200 fps to ensure proper expansion, and once you get past 1,100 fps, you run into that ballistic crack issue again.

But don't believe me (hell, I don't care one way or the other quite frankly). Read and learn from the people who work with this stuff on a daily basis - Paulson, Engel, Dater, et. al.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MLB @ Nov. 25 2005,20:23)]Thanks for the post JG.  Interesting stuff.

PPK/S Guy, I don't see how the color would matter...  
I think the color would matter because differant people like differant colors of guns. Thank you for the post JG, it was very helpful.

·
Registered
33 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (PPK/S Guy @ Nov. 25 2005,10:43)]My point is why do you want a silencer for such a quiet gun. I have fired a .22 from a Ruger 10/22 and it wasn't loud at all. I dissagree with you, I think that .22s aren't the most common things suppressed. I'd have to go with MP5s or M4A1s.
Err... to be "silent" ?!

.22's are just about the only thing that a suppressor (née "silencer") can mask ALL of the sound of. Despite what TV and movies will have you believe, a suppressed shot from ANY caliber weapon does not sound like a car antenna being whisked through the air. It sounds like a large pneumatic stapler firing, or perhaps a single pulse from a jackhammer. The idea is not merely to reduce the sound and muzzle flash, but to make it sound like anything, but a weapon discharging.

Even .45's will make a very noticeable sound- just not of the type that your average security guard will say "Hey- that sounded just like a gunshot!".

I'm not sure of whether the .22 is the most common handgun cartridge used with a suppressor, but it was/is extremely popular with assassins, spies, and contract killers. There have been so many pistol cartridges designed for use with suppressors though- the Russians were great with it during the Cold War.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Good points Kraut. Agree with them all.

I have a .45 can as well, and while the rounds are subsonic, even with a good cooling medium, they are substantially louder than the .22 reports.

Typical noise signatures for the .22 are around 115db, give or take a few, whereas the .45 sound levels are around 130db, again give or take a few. Not even in the same ballpark. Of course, a .45 is a lot more effective, but for simple plinking at the range (or out back), you just can't beat a .22 can. Most enjoyable Class III item I own by far, and the cheapest one as well.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
713 Posts
Iam a cheap guy I just use CCI CB caps in long rifle out of my AR-7 sounds like a pellet gun but enough power close up to give you a deadly head ache. Only thing won't cycle action but then again that noise. From a 4" rev sound like a cap gun. Ive also had fun with the 2 liter pop bottles with a 22 and a 45 .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts