Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that you can buy a silencer for your p99? Is it legal? Who makes them? What alterations, if any, are necessary for the thing to work?

·
Registered
65 Posts
IIRC, you need to buy the threaded barrel and replace the stock one with it. The end protrudes from the slide and there are threads (and a thread protector, for when you're not using the suppressor) for attaching one.

From what I understand, the "best" suppressor for the P99 is made by hand and rather expensive, in addition to having a long waiting list.

Legality varies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was actually looking at silencers this weekend at a local gun shop. Where can I find a threaded barrel?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm pretty sure Walther makes them, though you'd probably have to go through Earl's to get one...I'd just as soon not, but it's up to you. ;-)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I talked to Earl's a few days ago about the treaded barrel. It's pricey for the Walther but it aparently dramatically improves the accuracy of the gun. I don't know about for you, but here there's a fair bit of paperwork, gotta get the local police chief to sign off and pass a background check to get a scilencer, and then, there's a $200 transfer tax for each one so odds are if you can get a silencer you're gonna spend the cash on it cause it'll cost you $200 on top of whichever one you get.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (toeball @ June 27 2005,18:50)]but it aparently dramatically improves the accuracy of the gun. I don't know about for you, but here there's a fair bit of paperwork, gotta get the local police chief to sign off and pass a background check to get a scilencer, and then, there's a $200 transfer tax for each one so odds are if you can get a silencer you're gonna spend the cash on it cause it'll cost you $200 on top of whichever one you get.
Bull$#*% from Earl. I have 4 threaded barrels for the P99 and none of them shoot any better than the stock barrel. Good grief it is only about .5 inch longer than the stock barrel.

Have you seen the threaded barrel section in the FAQ?
P99 Threaded Barrels

Or my section on the threaded barrels:
Walther P99 Threaded Barrel History

I also have two suppressors for my P99s, a AWC Titanium Abraxas and a TROS Diplomat II.

Yes, it's a lot of hastle to get a suppressor, but if your local law enforcement chief will sign you off, go for it.

See http://www.trosusa.com for more on the TROS line of suppressors.

James

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you shoot your gun without the suppresor on leaving the threaded barrel?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yes, you can shoot the P99 with the threaded barrel, with no suppressor attached.

James

·
Registered
7 Posts
Supposedley, here in Texas, its just a little bit more paper work, a little wait time, and a $200 fed. tax, but the guy at the gun shop said if I can buy a gun, theres a real good chance I can get a silencer, just taks a little time and $$$

oh, and now, I didnt think to look at the FAQ page...oops

·
Registered
7 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ June 28 2005,14:03)]Sure would be nice to have a silenced home defense weapon. Kill the bastard but keep your hearing intact.
and not make a huge deal scaring all the neighbors at 3-4am

·
Registered
9 Posts
is there a silencer for the P22 as well
do you need a threaded barrel ?

Are the Legal in the US ?

I live in Holland we are not allowed to have one (can't even get one)

A .22 with a silencer is great for shooting in the garden. or in the basement

·
Registered
232 Posts
I plink in the back yard using Aguila Super Colibri. It's a primer only round and I use a phone book or a Grainger catalog as a bullet stop. Using a Savage bolt action for it. I've got an AKT-98 (real AK-74 chambered in .22LR) but they don't have enough power to cycle it. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=AMM-066

1 - 14 of 14 Posts