Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for Specs on the factory standard Front and Rear sights of the PPQ M2 9mm with 4 inch barrel.

I think I have read the front sights from Walther come in sizes #1 through #6, and want to know what size came standard, and what are the actual measurements or heights of these 6 front sights and the rear sight as well.

I'm consistently shooting low and a little to the left. I understand how to adjust windage on the rear polymer sight.

To adjust elevation the manual says to switch out the front sight, but having a hard time getting info on size/height of the sights that came standard, and what I need to change to.

Also, looking into getting 3rd party sights, such as from Speedlight or TruGlo. It seems most likely that they won't have the same exact front sight heights and rear sight heights.

So from my research it seems there is something called the Front to Rear Sight ratio.

What is the F/R ratio of the standard sights?

Knowing this I hope to be able to buy a 3rd party set of sights and match a Front Height and Rear Height that equals the same ratio.

Thanks for the info in advance!

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using sight picture #2, for some reason I can't shoot a tight shot group using any other sight picture.

I think that is why I'm shooting low, as Walther PPQ is setup for folks to use sight picture #3, so it follows if I use #2 them my POI would be lower.

That is why I want to switch out for a lower front sight so I can hit dead xenter using sight picture #2.

But really ultimately want something like TruGlo or Speedlights, but to pick an appropriate set of 3rd Party sights, need to know what my current sights are and how much lower on the front sights I need to go.

Thanks for the link, I performed several searches and could not find a previous thread that answered my queations

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'm using sight picture #2, for some reason I can't shoot a tight shot group using any other sight picture.

I think that is why I'm shooting low, as Walther PPQ is setup for folks to use sight picture #3, so it follows if I use #2 them my POI would be lower.

That is why I want to switch out for a lower front sight so I can hit dead xenter using sight picture #2.

But really ultimately want something like TruGlo or Speedlights, but to pick an appropriate set of 3rd Party sights, need to know what my current sights are and how much lower on the front sights I need to go.

Thanks for the link, I performed several searches and could not find a previous thread that answered my queations
Hello Klowman, Have you considered the Dawson Precision sights?

One of the nice things about Dawson Precision is you can get them set up pretty much any way you'd like. You can tune them to your requirements.

With many of the other commercial options available, you get what you get as far as POA/POI.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Looking for Specs on the factory standard Front and Rear sights of the PPQ M2 9mm with 4 inch barrel.

I think I have read the front sights from Walther come in sizes #1 through #6, and want to know what size came standard, and what are the actual measurements or heights of these 6 front sights and the rear sight as well.

Hello Klowman, and welcome to the Walther forum.

The standard front sight on the PPQ M2 9mm is #4 and the rear sight is #2 (the numbers can be seen on the respective sights).

For the specific measurements, I refer you to page 2 of the attached PDF from the Walther (Germany) website. Document revision: 11.09.2017. German language in the left-hand column, English in the right column. Note that the measurements given are for the steel front and rear sights. As I understand (from what I have read on this forum) the PPQs imported into the USA have plastic front and rear sights, but the original factory steel sights can be ordered as separate items. Elsewhere, the sights are steel. The plastic front sights are listed as a set of 6 (part-number: 2627248) and not as individual parts. The front to rear sight ratio is not specified, but there is no reason to doubt that this ratio is the same for steel and plastic sights. If you want to be absolutely certain, it might be best to stick to the combination of plastic front/rear OR steel front/rear and not, for example, change your plastic front sight for steel and use it with the plastic rear sight.

I'm consistently shooting low and a little to the left. I understand how to adjust windage on the rear polymer sight.
You make no mention of your level of shooting experience, but low left is a stage many of us have to go through. Ask an experienced shooter to shoot with your PPQ, using sight-picture #3, and compare the results with yours. There is, of course, nothing to stop you adjusting the rear sight and changing the front sight for a smaller one, to compensate for the low/left POI. You might then find that, as your trigger control/grip improve, your grouping will miraculously wander in a north-easterly direction.

I wasn't happy using sight-picture #3, so I changed the #4 front sight for a #3 to give me sight-picture #1 at 10 meters, where the circle aimed at is 5cm/2".

I have no experience of 3rd party sights, but you'll find numerous threads on them on this forum.

Here is the PDF from the Walther website:

Balor

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
You're going to run yourself ragged trying to find a set of sights or some combination that will give your sight picture 2. Without a doubt, the quickest, easiest answer is to install a set of SpeedSights. These sights will give you what you're looking for....line up the diamonds and the POI will be at the top/tip of the diamond on the front sight. THAT is sight picture 2.

Check out Mystro's thread https://www.waltherforums.com/forum...t-loaner-trial-exclusively-forum-members.html

·
Registered
336 Posts
I second the advise to use Dawson Precision, if you are looking to get the exact POA/POI that works for you. They are great people to work with and really make some great sights.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
The standard front sight on the PPQ M2 9mm is #4 and the rear sight is #2 (the numbers can be seen on the respective sights).
Balor, your pistol more than likely came with the steel factory sights, which the pistols in the US do not come with from the factory. The polymer #4 front sight is a different height than the steel #4 sight.

The #2 on the your steel rear sight signifies the length of the gap on the notch on the rear sight, with different steel rear sights having different gap lengths for the notch, with different numbers on the center of the rear sight. The number on the steel rear sight does not signify the height of it.

I'm not sure exact height of the polymer front and rear sights, but I believe the original P99 owner's manual stated the height of the rear sights. If someone with a 1st gen P99 with a manual can take a look, this may be helpful to you. The P99FAQ had these specifications, but unfortunately the site has been taken down.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Balor, your pistol more than likely came with the steel factory sights, which the pistols in the US do not come with from the factory.
Yes, it did — and I pointed out this difference in my post.

The polymer #4 front sight is a different height than the steel #4 sight.
That I don’t know, and for that very reason I advised the OP not to mix the plastic and steel sights.

The #2 on the your steel rear sight signifies the length of the gap on the notch on the rear sight, with different steel rear sights having different gap lengths for the notch, with different numbers on the center of the rear sight. The number on the steel rear sight does not signify the height of it.
.....not sure what exactly you mean here. See page 2 of the attached PDF: Rear Sight PS #2, 4.6mm. The number 2 on the sight has nothing to do with its height, which is 4.6mm.

To put it simply, if the OP is in the US (as I have assumed) and thus has plastic sights on his PPQ, the easiest thing for him to do would be to order the set of front sights (#1 - #6, part-number 2627248). He can then swap out the front sights at leisure until he gets the result he’s looking for.

Balor

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
.....not sure what exactly you mean here. See page 2 of the attached PDF: Rear Sight PS #2, 4.6mm. The number 2 on the sight has nothing to do with its height, which is 4.6mm.
It was my understanding that the 4.6mm signifies the width of the gap on the notch of the steel rear sight. The #1 steel rear sight should have a tighter gap on the notch. Hopefully someone out there with the factory PPS sights can verify this if they have a caliper handy.

With the different height front sights, there would be no need to make different height rear sights as well. What I was saying is that, from my understanding, the number on the rear sight has nothing to do with the height of it.

To put it simply, if the OP is in the US (as I have assumed) and thus has plastic sights on his PPQ, the easiest thing for him to do would be to order the set of front sights (#1 - #6, part-number 2627248). He can then swap out the front sights at leisure until he gets the result he’s looking for.
The OP stated that he may want to go with aftermarket sights. I'm assuming that this is the reason why he wants to know the height of the factory sights, as well as others that may suit his preferred sight picture and POA/POI.

Unfortunately, I don't have the measurements handy for him.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It was my understanding that the 4.6mm signifies the width of the gap on the notch of the steel rear sight. The #1 steel rear sight should have a tighter gap on the notch. Hopefully someone out there with the factory PPS sights can verify this if they have a caliper handy.
The Walther specs give 3.8mm for the #1 steel rear sight and 4.6mm for the #2 steel rear sight, but they don't make it clear whether the value refers to the height or the width of the notch. I've always assumed that they referred to the height.

I've never seen a #1 rear sight, but I have 3 different Walthers with the #2 (steel) rear sight. Out of interest, I got the caliper out and measured them as best I could. The width of the notch is 4.5mm and the height, which is (logically) the amount that the top of the sight stands proud of the slide is also exactly 4.5mm. If I set the caliper to 4.6mm I can see a tiny amount of air above the sight and the 4.6mm similarly seems a hair wider than the notch. This applies to the #2 steel rear sight on the PPQ, P99c and the PPS.

CORRECTION: I just realised, after taking the measurements, that my caliper is not zeroed. When closed, it shows 0.1mm under zero. This means that the 4.6mm would be the correct value, both for the height and the width of the notch.

All of this done in the interest of science, folks!!!

Balor

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback, sorry has taken me a while to respond but have been so busy.

I had also sent an email to Walther support, and they sent me 2 separate PDF files with PPQ M2 specs and part numbers. Will try to attach them to this post.

First off, I do have the polymer sights, and from the feedback in the email from Walther support, as well as a reply from one of the forum members, I learned that I should have the standard #4 front sight for a polymer.

I was able to confim this by reading the number stamped on top of the sight. I did not know this.

So, in the first PDF that Walther support sent, only specs/measurements were listed for the steel sights.

I asked again for the specs on the polymer sights and received the second PDF file, which also did not list out the specs, but did at least have the individual part numbers for polymer front sights #2 thru #5.

I asked again and received an email that did list out the specs for polymer front sights #1 through #4.

In response to the forum member who suggested buying the front sight kit and just swapping out until I find the one that works for me - that is about what I was going to do, but instead of sticking with the Walther polymer sights I wanted to switch to after market sights like Dawson or Tru Glo or Speedsights.

This is why I wanted to know the actual specs or measurements or heights, so I could order a set of after market sights and be able to specify the exact heights I want.

I was concerned that if I just let the vendor suggest their standard relplacement sights for standard Walther....that I would end up with a setup that would still require me to use Sight Picture #3 in order to have POI in center of the bullseye.

I want to use Sight Picture #2, so that my POA is dead center and should also be my POI.

So, I was thinking if I knew the exact height of the front sight, and height of rear sight, then I could calculate the so-called front to rear ratio and order an after market set of sights with the same front to rear ratio.

Anyhow, hopefully this thread can serve as a point of redference for anyone else seeking these specs, so will post what I have learned below.

From Walther Customer Support:

Polymer Front Sights
#1 4.14 mm No Info
#2 4.55 mm Part # 2627205
#3 4.70 mm Part # 2627205
#4 4.80 mm Part # 2627213
#5 No Info Part # 2627221
Kit #1 - #6 Part # 2627248

Polymer Rear Sight
No Info Part # 2627183

Steel Front Sights
#3 White Dot 3.5 mm Part # 2679906
#4 White Dot 3.8 mm Part # 2674386
#5 White Dot 4.1 mm Part # 2679949
#3 Phosphorus 3.5 mm Part # 2697971
#4 Phosphorus 3.8 mm Part # 2697963
#5 Phosphorus 4.1 mm Part # 2697980

Steel Rear Sights
#1 3.8 mm Part # 2697998
#2 4.6 mm Part # 2697955

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
You make no mention of your level of shooting experience, but low left is a stage many of us have to go through. Ask an experienced shooter to shoot with your PPQ, using sight-picture #3, and compare the results with yours. There is, of course, nothing to stop you adjusting the rear sight and changing the front sight for a smaller one, to compensate for the low/left POI. You might then find that, as your trigger control/grip improve, your grouping will miraculously wander in a north-easterly direction.

Balor

Ditto. Good advice.:cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
When I aim using Sight Picture #3, mostly my rounds hit center.

My point is I don't like using Sight Picture #3, I like using #2.

My shot group is not very tight using #3, but are mostly in the center.

Because I have always used Sight Picture #2 for evey other gun I have ever fired, I can consistently get a tight shot group with it, but not with Sight Picture #3.

Using Sight Picture #2, there is no question in my mind when I have the tops of the front and rear sights lined up and on the dead center crosshairs of where I want my shots....but I have a hard time aiming in consistently to the same spot using Sight Picture #3....I'm always guessing, or not sure, if I'm aiming at the same spot everytime...itb ust messes me up trying to "cover" the area of the target that I want as my POI.

Therefore, the shot groups are not tight.

As I understand it, the PPQ sights are designed for using Sight Picture #3.

So, when I use Sight Picture #2, which is a lower POA, it follows that the POI will also be lower.

Since I don't want to switch to Sight Picture #3, but use #2, then I think I need to get a lower front sight.

But, instead of just ordering the front sight kit from Walther and changing out until I find the right one, I want to use a 3rd party sight like from Dawson, TruGlo or Speedsights.

So, that is why I was so interested in the exact heights of the standard front and rear sights, so that I could pick a pair of 3rd party sights that would have the front to rear height difference that will give me a POI dead center, when I use Sight Picture 2.

·
Registered
602 Posts
When I aim using Sight Picture #3, mostly my rounds hit center.
That statement is at variance with what you stated in paragraph 3 of your original post, which was:

I'm consistently shooting low and a little to the left.
If you haven't already invested in 3rd party sights, I would stick to my previous suggestion that you try out lower Walther plastic front sights, either by ordering the set of 6, or simply by ordering two numbers lower than the default #4 front sight which you already have.

I don't know how much the Walther plastic front sights cost, either as a set or as individual items, but in any case they are likely to cost less than experimenting with third party sights and not getting the result you are looking for. If you thus find the correct Walther front sight which works for you, you can then either work out the front-to-rear sight ratio yourself, or send both sights off to a third party manufacturer and let them do the mathematics for you.

It goes without saying that the POI will vary somewhat depending on which ammunition you are using, even at the modest distances that defensive pistols are designed to be used at.

Balor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts