Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a set of TruGlo TFX Pro sights (yes, the ones with the orange ring) for my p99as. I removed the front and rear factory sights in the past and I assume the front is a simple screw in deal, but I've read the tru glo has an interference fit (press in) rear sight. Seeing as the slide on the p99as is angled, does anyone have a recommendation for a sight pusher for this? Has anyone just used a generic "straight sides" pusher successfully? I have no idea how tight these sights are gonna be so if anyone has had them before and knows If appreciate any advice.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Try this thread: Factory Night Sight Installation
While it talks about the Walther factory night sights the same holds for the TFX Pros (read post 21 for details)
In fact if you do a search you'll find I've posted about mounting TFX and TFX Pros on my P99 and P99c using a P500 sight pusher.

This is a set of TFX but it is basically the same install as the TFX Pros. Feel free to pm me if you have questions after reading the link I posted above. I've mounted lots of these sets.
Yes the P 500 is rather "robust"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try this thread: Factory Night Sight Installation
While it talks about the Walther factory night sights the same holds for the TFX Pros (read post 21 for details)
In fact if you do a search you'll find I've posted about mounting TFX and TFX Pros on my P99 and P99c using a P500 sight pusher.
View attachment 93199

View attachment 93200

View attachment 93202

View attachment 93203
This is a set of TFX but it is basically the same install as the TFX Pros. Feel free to pm me if you have questions after reading the link I posted above. I've mounted lots of these sets.
Awesome, thank you for the info. Looks like you were able to use straight vertical blocks to hold the slide, which is exactly what I was hoping to see.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Yes but it is easier if you can lock the slide into the pusher. The P500 has a hold down clamp that really helps.
While this tool is a bit expensive for a one time use it is well worth the expense if you are going to mount more than one set of sights over the span of your life. :)

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
>While this tool is a bit expensive for a one time use it is well worth the expense if you are going to mount more than one set of sights over the span of your life<<
Like many sight pushers, they're just ok. I have one sitting around I haven't used in years..

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Like many sight pushers, they're just ok. I have one sitting around I haven't used in years..
I use mine about 4 to 6 times a year.

As to just "OK" they are robust, well designed and do exactly what they are designed to do it with a minimum amount of fuss

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use mine about 4 to 6 times a year.

As to just "OK" they are robust, well designed and do exactly what they are designed to do it with a minimum amount of fuss
Hey olsoul, while you're back here, I got the tru glo set in the mail today, and should get the pusher tomorrow. Do you leave the windage plunger in the slide or go ahead and take it and the spring out? I can't see a reason to leave it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had ordered a cheapo 30$ Sylvan sight pusher before I saw yall reply, but thankfully it turns out it's heavy as hell and very durable. Cast iron frame and grade 12 steel bolts with aluminum blocks. A couple sheets of cotton and some turning with my 19mm wrench and the rear sight went on, easy as pie. I'm extremely happy with the sight picture too. Thanks for the advice everyone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got to the range. My tru glos are shooting consistently low, not just with me but with a guy who shoots Walthers in competitions, and this was on a bench. Went to a gunsmith and while the sights are installed level and correctly, the rear is shorter than the front, causing the POI to be quite low. (like 4 inches low at 6 yards, sight picture 3). I bought them third party so there's that, but I'll give Tru glo a call anyways on monday. Unlucky

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Wow! That's a first.
As others have had the same experience with your weapon I think a call to Tru Glo is definitely in order. I think I've mounted about 6 or 7 sets of TFX and TFX Pros on P99 (if you include my P99c) and all have kept the Walther POA/POI. I'm assuming your front sight is properly installed, that is the only thing that comes to mind as it is almost impossible to improperly mount the rear sight unless you filed it.

Please keep us posted...This is a poser.
I just had a thought...are you sure it is the proper sight?

Reactions: Al3x97

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! That's a first.
As others have had the same experience with your weapon I think a call to Tru Glo is definitely in order. I think I've mounted about 6 or 7 sets of TFX and TFX Pros on P99 (if you include my P99c) and all have kept the Walther POA/POI. I'm assuming your front sight is properly installed, that is the only thing that comes to mind as it is almost impossible to improperly mount the rear sight unless you filed it.

Please keep us posted...This is a poser.
I just had a thought...are you sure it is the proper sight?
Well... I called Tru glo. Spoke to a man on the phone who asked how I was holding it, sight picture, range, poi etc. I told him:

-held on a bench
-sight picture 3 (combat)
-5 or 6 yards
-3 or 4 inches low

His response was that "all Tru glo sights have been made for 25 yd combat range for the past 20 years. If you go out and shoot it with 25 yds between you and the target that bullet should go directly where the front sight dot is".

I told him that sounded fairly far out for a pistol and he agreed, and said there's nothing I can do for shorter ranges except "compensate for the drop". There are no height variants of the sight. Gotta say, not what I was hoping to hear at all, and with Olsoul's groupings at what I believe was less than 25 yds, I'm a bit perplexed. Not sure what EDC self defense situation would require aiming at a threat 25 yards away...

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
This is the TFX Pro sight zero target for my Q45, 35 feet, GECO 230 gr fmj 10 rounds one handed (no bench) using sight picture III which Tru Glu recommends...maybe we unconsciously compensate. I don't understand.

My P99 sight zero gave me the same result I just can't find the image.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the TFX Pro sight zero target for my Q45, 35 feet, GECO 230 gr fmj 10 rounds one handed (no bench) using sight picture III which Tru Glu recommends...maybe we unconsciously compensate. I don't understand.
View attachment 93375
Nice group. I think I'll have to return my sights sadly. I love the picture but I can't compensate like that for close range, and I think filing the front down would just make it worse. I can drill the target over and over with the factory setup, with front sight # I just hate the plastic and how weak they are. Any recommendations for a straight up stock position replacement?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got to the range. My tru glos are shooting consistently low, not just with me but with a guy who shoots Walthers in competitions, and this was on a bench. Went to a gunsmith and while the sights are installed level and correctly, the rear is shorter than the front, causing the POI to be quite low. (like 4 inches low at 6 yards, sight picture 3). I bought them third party so there's that, but I'll give Tru glo a call anyways on monday. Unlucky
Lol, normally I shoot high with TFO's since TruGlow won't pull their heads out of where the sun dont shine and add a little to the top of the front sights. its easier to line up flat sight posts than circular dots. with the dots lined up the front post is a little low which is how it should be. No reason they couldn't add however many mm of metal to the top to make both an option. Anyway good luck with that

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is EXACTLY why I stay away from TruGlo. the 25 yard distance is one thing but this photo here is it. why cant they just add the mm or 2 of metal to the top of the front post to bring it up to the green line? The "my way or the highway" mentality is just stupid, could give people the option to use posts or dots with minimal effort

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I tried reinstalling the sights as perfectly as possible, spent a way too much time checking their level, and after a busy workweek I finally got to the range today. I cut the low poi in half, now they shoot 1.5 inches low instead of 3. I spent 40 rounds and probably field stripped the thing 10 times to adjust the sights as best I could and no luck. And at 25 yards they are even farther off so yeah.. no. After enough frustration, I pressed them out and put the factory sights back on (front post no 3), then painted the bullseye, over and over. I'm sad the tru glos didn't work out, but I'm reminded once again how well this gun shoots and how accurate it is, which does make me happy....

Now if only I can find some nice sights to replace the stock ones (with the no 3 front post height)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts