Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been searching around for different sights for the 99 and although there aren't too many options out there I did find something interesting that I wanted to get some insight on.

The reason I'm interested in replacing the sights is that although the 3 dot is pretty much the standard I find myself having issues getting the front centered quickly. especially on darker targets where its difficult to gauge the empty space between the sides of the front sight because the target blends with the color of the sight. I was trying to se if there was a wider front sight that I would know it was aligned if there was no light on either side when I look through the rear but that doesn't seem to exist. Then I was looking at the walther america sight and saw the ao big dot sights.

has anyone installed this style of sight? Also do you have any pics of it on the p99? what's your opinion on improving target acquisition and accuracy?

Here's a site that has a bit more info than the walther site if anyone is interested:
XS Sight Systems - Handgun Sights - 24/7 Express

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've have never used them though I've considered them once or twice (not for a Walther), but had Heinie "straight 8" sights (again not on a Walther), which are similar in the way you line up/stack the sight, and hated them. I ended up replacing the Heinie's with Williams Fire Sights (fiber optics)

From what I've heard/read about the big dots, you either love them or you hate them, don't often see many "middle ground" opinions on them.

Best bet would be to find someone local who has them or see if any of the local ranges have them on a rental gun and try them out for yourself if at all possible.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have them on a P99c. I like them very much. They work very fast in picking up your target. Also good for old eyes. The company has the same sights with a standard size dot. Worth looking into.:cool:

Common Sense...The Rarest Of All Senses

·
Registered
417 Posts
gotta pic of them on the compact? that is my EDC and was looking at the big dots. have fired before and once you get used to dotting the 'I' then it is quite easy to pick up the front sight. would like to see how they look in the day and in a room in the dark if you could.............your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to take 2 pics of your BD sights! thanx

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I've got Heinie Straight Eights on my Glock 19 and I love them. The Big Dots will be similar. You can even get those sights with a smaller front dot for greater accuracy at distance.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gotta pic of them on the compact? that is my EDC and was looking at the big dots. have fired before and once you get used to dotting the 'I' then it is quite easy to pick up the front sight. would like to see how they look in the day and in a room in the dark if you could.............your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to take 2 pics of your BD sights! thanx
Second. pics please when you can.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the Big Dots on my full-size P99. I like them and find them to be as accurate as the standard sights.

It took me a while to get accustomed to the Big Dots. Once you get used to them, you can pick up the sights very quickly. YMMV.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My one experience with Big Dot sights was on a S&W Gunsite 1911. It also had a U type notch for the rear sight. I couldn't hold a decent group at 15 yds and neither could the new owner of the pistol. Sure it would hit a man sized target at that range, but we both found it difficult to utilize the U notch rear sight in addition to the big giant dot and come up with acceptable accuracy except at close distances. Yes, you would pick up the sight very quickly. But I would not be confident at even moderate distances with that pistol.

Maybe it was just that particular gun, I don't know. But I have a SW Gunsite pistol myself with unmodified Novak sights, gold bead up front. That gun is very accurate.

One thing I've found I do like, however, is the concept of a black rear sight and a night sight or dot up front. Draws your attention to the front sight in low light situations and there aren't two other glowing dots to sort out when you're bringing the weapon up on target.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
My one experience with Big Dot sights was on a S&W Gunsite 1911. It also had a U type notch for the rear sight. I couldn't hold a decent group at 15 yds and neither could the new owner of the pistol. Sure it would hit a man sized target at that range, but we both found it difficult to utilize the U notch rear sight in addition to the big giant dot and come up with acceptable accuracy except at close distances. Yes, you would pick up the sight very quickly. But I would not be confident at even moderate distances with that pistol.

Maybe it was just that particular gun, I don't know. But I have a SW Gunsite pistol myself with unmodified Novak sights, gold bead up front. That gun is very accurate.

One thing I've found I do like, however, is the concept of a black rear sight and a night sight or dot up front. Draws your attention to the front sight in low light situations and there aren't two other glowing dots to sort out when you're bringing the weapon up on target.
I'm really fond of my Heinie Slant Pro QWIK straight eight sights. They have a wider than normal rear notch so that you can see lots of daylight on both sides of the front sight. In the daytime they look like black target sights. The tritium dots are NOT outlined in white paint so nothing distracts from putting the front sight where it belongs. In low light conditions the front sight dot is bigger than the rear sight dot so you know which one is your front sight and there is no wondering if you have three dots lined up properly, since you only have the two dots. They line up vertically very nicely. All in all, it's a very nice set up.

I too used to use only a tritium front sight with a regular rear sight. The Heines are way better!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I had the Standard Dot on my Glock 27. To be fair, even the Standard Dot sights are NOT target sights, they are combat sights.

The purpose of both the Standard and Big Dots are to be quick on target combat sights.

While I do think they are quicker to put on target than 3 dot sights, I just couldn't get used to them. I think that was because, for me, all of my other guns had 3 dot sights. I ended up getting rid of the gun, not because of the sights, though. I won't be putting them on another of my guns. They're not bad sights, just not for me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another option if it was available

I also found these

SureSight

I think I like the concept even more than the big dot and it looks like these might lend themselves to much better accuracy since you align the point of the triangle with the impact point. Unfortunately they are not currently available for Walthers which leads me to wonder:

Is there a different model/manufacturer whose sights might be able to be adapted to fit a p99? Especially one of the big 3 (i.e. Glock, m&p, springfield)

Anybody tried these suresights? What'd you think?

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
I wanted to try the SureSights on one of my Walther PPS's but they aren't made for the PPS. :(

I already have XS Big Dots on my G19 and on my other PPS. I've found the front-sight acqusition of the Big Dots to be unparalleled for defensive use, as the front sight is huge and easily the first thing your eye settles on; the shallow V of the rear sights serves to guide your eye to the dot. Note, however, that it's point-of-aim defensive shooting you'll be setting youself up for with XS Big Dots, as the front sight is so big it absolutely requires you to cover your target with the front sight at defensive distances. This also means that if you switch to this sighting system there's a learning curve for anything outside of the usual defensive (a la 10-15 yards) ranges.

I can hit 4" steel at 50 yards with the Big Dots ... but to do it I shift from point-of-aim to 6-o'clock hold. I change aiming at about the 20 yard distance on my PPS and about 25 yards with my G19. (This makes both of these distances rather hairy, as the switch point is about where neither form of aiming works particularly well.) Finding the sweet spot for your firearm will take some practice, so expect to expend some ammunition to do it. But realize doing it is also non-essential. These ARE defensive sights ... and for that, they're plenty acurate because there's such a thing as 'good enough'. (We don't need minute of angle, here; these sights are designed for minute of bad guy... )

Surreal

P.S. I volunteer at a range fairly often, so it's no big deal for me to practice a lot and at a variety of distances. Hence plinking at distances I'd deem inappropriate for a set of defensive sights -- just to see what I can and can't do. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I also found these

SureSight

I think I like the concept even more than the big dot and it looks like these might lend themselves to much better accuracy since you align the point of the triangle with the impact point. Unfortunately they are not currently available for Walthers which leads me to wonder:

Is there a different model/manufacturer whose sights might be able to be adapted to fit a p99? Especially one of the big 3 (i.e. Glock, m&p, springfield)

Anybody tried these suresights? What'd you think?

Steyrs come with very similar sights to these and I've shot my friend's. Nice sights, but its not like I notice any real significant accuracy advantage. Acquisition is fast though

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wanted to try the SureSights on one of my Walther PPS's but they aren't made for the PPS. :(

I already have XS Big Dots on my G19 and on my other PPS. I've found the front-sight acqusition of the Big Dots to be unparalleled for defensive use, as the front sight is huge and easily the first thing your eye settles on; the shallow V of the rear sights serves to guide your eye to the dot. Note, however, that it's point-of-aim defensive shooting you'll be setting youself up for with XS Big Dots, as the front sight is so big it absolutely requires you to cover your target with the front sight at defensive distances. This also means that if you switch to this sighting system there's a learning curve for anything outside of the usual defensive (a la 10-15 yards) ranges.

I can hit 4" steel at 50 yards with the Big Dots ... but to do it I shift from point-of-aim to 6-o'clock hold. I change aiming at about the 20 yard distance on my PPS and about 25 yards with my G19. (This makes both of these distances rather hairy, as the switch point is about where neither form of aiming works particularly well.) Finding the sweet spot for your firearm will take some practice, so expect to expend some ammunition to do it. But realize doing it is also non-essential. These ARE defensive sights ... and for that, they're plenty acurate because there's such a thing as 'good enough'. (We don't need minute of angle, here; these sights are designed for minute of bad guy... )

Surreal

P.S. I volunteer at a range fairly often, so it's no big deal for me to practice a lot and at a variety of distances. Hence plinking at distances I'd deem inappropriate for a set of defensive sights -- just to see what I can and can't do. :)
Wouldnt aiming 6 o'clock at distance cause a low hit? I dont get it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Love em

I have big dots on my Kahr PM9 and couldn't be happier. That being said, if you are looking to chew the center out of a target at 25 yards big dots are not the answer. If you want a close range combat sight they are great.

I have posted regarding these sights on the S&W, Colt, and Kahr forums and have come the conclusion that there is no middle ground. People either love or hate them.

I love them!

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Wouldnt aiming 6 o'clock at distance cause a low hit? I dont get it
It depends on how the pistol was sighted in. If sighted in at 25 yards, anything past 25 yards, the bullet will hit high, and higher the farther out you go. This of course does not reflect the effects of gravity or energy/velocity of the bullet. Obviously, at a certain point the bullet will drop but not enough at 50 yards to negate the original sighting of the pistol. This explanation is somewhat simplistic but I think everyone gets the idea.

A practical example would be to take a laser, such as the Surefire X400, one that attaches below the barrel, and sight it in at 10 yards. Then shoot at a target 25 yards away. The bullet will hit high at the farther target, perhaps by as much as three or four inches. Once again, I'm not sure if those numbers are perfectly accurate, but you get the picture.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
A practical example would be to take a laser, such as the Surefire X400, one that attaches below the barrel, and sight it in at 10 yards. Then shoot at a target 25 yards away. The bullet will hit high at the farther target, perhaps by as much as three or four inches. Once again, I'm not sure if those numbers are perfectly accurate, but you get the picture.
OOPS! With the laser being below the bore, the bullets will hit lower at 25 yards than they do at 10 yards.

I knew I was going to muff that up by using an example that didn't match up with the sights being above the bore. :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts