Walther Forums banner

Sight installation tutorial

20K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  sotexas 
#1 ·
Searcher, way back when men were men I did a tutorial on how to install after-market sights. In this case Mepros but I also did it for Big Dots as well. I would think that would be of interest to the general membership? Rich

#3 ·
Dont mean to hijack your thread, kraigster, but i saw your tutorial the other day and want to say thanks for posting this. I got Mepro coming in the mail to me here later this week and will have the IPad with your tutorial close by. :)

#4 · (Edited)
My pleasure. That thread and install was done geez quite a long while go and the Mepros are still sitting nice and snug and look professionally installed if I do say so myself (I won't tell you about the things that I screwed up over the years LOL). Not to digress but about a year ago I took up the bass guitar and found that I enjoy working on them almost as much as playing. I've learned to wire, use a router, solder, stain, adjust truss rods, all those good things. Folks ask how did you learn how to do because historically I have never been that handy, and I tell them that working on wood is far easier than working with metal, e.g.,guns (especially when there are cheap Chinese imported guitars to hone your skills on). You usually have a second chance with wood, with metal, you better be careful. Screw it up and you are !@#$ out of luck. A good tutorial is worth it's weight in gold.

If you have the link, you might want to include it to make it easier for folks to find. And it would save me time too.

Now if I can only teach Searcher how to do stuff. The man has 10 thumbs. :)

#5 ·
It would be my pleasure to repost that old thread. I do believe i bookmarked it (but not sure if it was on my Ipad, phone, home or work computer...sigh, technology)

I hear ya on the woodworking. Been my passion and pasttime (other than fishing of course) for the past 14 years. I started off with bigger stuff but it looked like a 3rd grader did it. Now i am sticking to scroll sawing. My only regret is i didnt start scrolling 14 years ago. :) Like you (probably) i tend to research and read the snot out of "foreign" subjects before i dive in and get after it: hence, your post.

I do have a sort of dumb question for you though since you did it and I have never attempted this. Did you Loctite in the rear sights? I forget if you did or not. I thought about a dab to ensure they didnt move. But since i am inexplicably to the left in 200 rounds :confused: i thought about cheating the sights to juuuuuust the right of center. But i didnt want to go to the range and have an epic "uh oh" moment on Friday :rolleyes:

#7 ·
There is no need to apply Loctite the rear sight if you installed it correctly. Friction alone should keep it tight forever. And that is true of virtually any rear sight for a semi-auto. Anyone who relies on Loctite to hold a rear sight in place in a dovetail either bought a sight that was over-cut by the factory, or trimmed too much off at home. It is an amateur job at best.

#6 ·
Oh. Um...errr, my mistake Kraigster. It was someone else with the tutorial....but i did have you bookmarked due to review of the DPM guiderod. Thats why i recognized the user name. Since my first time field stripping after getting home from the LGS, i noticed a slight bend in mine. Thought that was odd. Figured it better get replaced if the rods were a common, negative trend.

Ill quit hijacking now. Lol. My bad.

#9 · (Edited)
Reactions: yellowperchman
#8 ·
No problem Yellowperch. Yes, the DPM is another one I did. There is nothing functionally wrong with the DPM. I found it to be perfectly reliable in a variety of handguns but as far as the PPS 9mm (my test platform), bottom line, I did not experience a significant reduction in muzzle flip or my ability to get back on target. I did find an improvement however using it in an M&P full size .45.

#10 ·
Not sure why I can't find the tutorial, but got the job done nonetheless.

I have been wanting a PPS for my DC ever since I got my wife hers, but just could never find one at a good price.

Finally scored a deal a few weeks ago, almost new with only 100 rounds down the pipe. This one was mint. I ordered a set of Meprolight sights and installed them. Tested the setup this morning at the range and it worked perfectly.

Just some notes for the next person doing this.

If you carefully look at the slide from the rear, you will note a depression just to the right of the rear sight. The depression prevents marring the slide surface when removing/installing the rear sigh. The sight is removed from left to right, looking down the slide just like you do at the range.

I had difficulty going from left to right so tried it the other way. Yes, the sight comes off, but leaves a little mark where the tension spring scrapes against the slide surface. I figured out the purpose of the indentation on the right side too late.

Front sight does need to be filed down a bit so that it will sit flat and flush with the slide as mentioned in other posts.

I really like the size and performance of the PPS. Looks like my Glock will be retired to the safe for a while.

#17 ·
Just installed a set of Mepros on my PPS m2. Removing the old sight was straight forward, drift it to the right side. Installation was a bit more difficult, but nothing major.
Tapped it back in with a brass punch & small brass hammer, with light strokes. Haven't gotten to check alignment yet, weather too cold for me, LOL. Later....
Love the PPS so far, shoots well, no issues with Fed. factory or my own reloads. Didn't miss a beat. :)

#18 ·
Hello I'm new here, but not new to forums at all. This looks like a place-holder for an instruction, but I see no link to a video, or written tutorial. Searching for posts from user "kraigster414" and the word "install" finds zero results... not even this post. Am I missing something obvious?

#26 ·
I agree that the Trijicons are great. My favorites are Truglo TFX Pro which are $129+ and I have on my house gun, my PPQ with my TLR 1s,etc. BUT for the money, I think the Meprolights are the best deal. I would get a sight pusher even if I was doing this once. It will pay for itself after one installation (or one scratch from not having one.) Unless the shop you buy sights from will put them on for you. (Many will, just ask.)

#27 ·
I just installed the TruGlo Tritium Pro on my M2. $69 on Amazon Prime. I've never done sights on any gun before. I was daunted because sight pushers for Walther seem to be hard to find, and none of the local smiths I called had one and weren't interested.

So I decided to see what would happen if I just did it with a punch. It was the easiest gun mod I think I've ever made, other than Talon grip wrap. :D Used the brass hammer and a brass punch and easily knocked the OEM rear sight out. Used the nylon head on the hammer and knocked the new sight in, then used a brass punch to keep it going once it was fully in the channel. Completely drama-free. Glad I did this. All you really need is a bench vice to hold the slide steady, and a good punch/hammer set (about 20 bucks on Amazon if you don't already have one.)

Cheers!

#28 ·
I just installed the TruGlo Tritium Pro on my M2. $69 on Amazon Prime. I've never done sights on any gun before. I was daunted because sight pushers for Walther seem to be hard to find, and none of the local smiths I called had one and weren't interested.

So I decided to see what would happen if I just did it with a punch. It was the easiest gun mod I think I've ever made, other than Talon grip wrap. :D Used the brass hammer and a brass punch and easily knocked the OEM rear sight out. Used the nylon head on the hammer and knocked the new sight in, then used a brass punch to keep it going once it was fully in the channel. Completely drama-free. Glad I did this. All you really need is a bench vice to hold the slide steady, and a good punch/hammer set (about 20 bucks on Amazon if you don't already have one.)

Cheers!
I use the TFX Pro Day/Night sights on all of my guns. Glad you had an easy time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.