Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least in Germany (and thus probably also in whole Europe) Walther has one competitor less.
Today's announcement on the Internet in Germany:
Sig Sauer in Eckernförde (Germany) files for bankruptcy. 125 employees lose their jobs.
It is not yet known whether Sig Sauer USA will be affected in any way as well.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I think a year or two ago, the USA subsidiary was spun into its own entity. So, I do not think it will effect anything here. I think I remember reading that from before.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I think a year or two ago, the USA subsidiary was spun into its own entity. So, I do not think it will effect anything here. I think I remember reading that from before.
That was my impression. They are two completely separate entities.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first reports on the Internet spoke of bankruptcy. Now the managing director Tim Castagne said that only the Eckernförde factory will be closed.
When exactly the location should be closed is still open. The only thing that is clear, according to Castagne, is that this should happen this year. The company is currently examining which orders can still be processed.
It is currently not possible to say whether Sig Sauer pistols will be built in Europe after Eckernförde is closed.
If so, the future will show whether the quality of the Sig Sauer pistols will suffer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
They have shot themselves in the foot. Attempting to cheat the German government was not a smart thing to do.

It's sad to see a European house with a very long tradition finally having to shut its gates, although the writing was already on the wall in 2015 when they divested themselves of many of their highly-skilled workforce and cut their staffing to the bone.

These people wander off into other branches of industry and can not be easily replaced. The production in Eckernförde will shut down before the end of this year.

I have a SIG and a SIG Sauer. They are the most accurate large calibre pistols I have ever used. If I want to do static target shooting at 25 meters the Walthers stay at home. Sorry Walther!

Balor

·
Registered
84 Posts
As long as they don't get bought up by Remington and ruined by Marlin... Yeah, I know. That's not likely to happen, but I couldn't help having the horrific though pop into mind when I saw something about a quality firearm manufacturer filing for bankruptcy.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Well, at the end of the day companies exist to make money. Sounds like they failed at that top level goal.

Maybe Walther will pick up some of that soon to be unemployed talent.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Maybe Walther will pick up some of that soon to be unemployed talent.
Wouldn’t that be just the bee’s knees? SIG has some great engineering behind their product, but if that talent were to go to Walther like you mentioned, that would be a huge bump for them. Would be extremely interested to see any influence on future Walther designs by the new talent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hope this doesn't affect the original Swiss SIG company. I love my original 1980's SIG 210-6.
It's test target has 4 shots in one ragged hole at 50 meters handheld, along with 2 nearby holes!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The 210 line is definitely something else!! Between the slid riding inside the rails, and the comfortable grip and crisp trigger. I stumble upon them on Gunbroker once in a while. Granted, these are the really newer ones that was probably just recently made. P210 Target I believe it was called. Just looks really nice, although I have fired one before, it has been many moons since.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A well known gun writer pal got two of the new American made 210’s to test.
I sent him mine to compare with the noobies and we will see if an article appears in the future. If my gun performed much better, will the article appear? I have been given zero feedback on any of the testing other than the obvious new improvements. No sharp edges, a modern safety.
I am very happy to have my 210 back looking like it never left! Yes, I shipped it in a Colt case. A cardboard sig box for a collectible pistol is way too fragile!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks, that is an interesting news flash! I have not heard anything here in America other than business as usual for Sigarms USA. Our love of the right to bear arms is too strong to shutdown gun sales of fine weapons. Especially now, that liberals are trying to buy pistols and seeing how tough it is in some states with gun control.
These latest riots were the first time in a long time that I loaded up all the mags for my scary looking gear. Seeing video of rioters attacking stopped cars on an elevated roadway necessitated the confidence that only some 31 rnd glock mags can give in a pistol package. I wouldn’t normally harm anyone for bashing my car, I think! But if the top was down on my 350 SLK or the door unlocked and someone got inside, all bets are off!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I hope this doesn't affect the original Swiss SIG company. I love my original 1980's SIG 210-6.
It's test target has 4 shots in one ragged hole at 50 meters handheld, along with 2 nearby holes!

The SIG P210 was not tested “at 50 meters handheld”. It was tested clamped in a machine - and this is clearly stated on the test target.

Nonetheless, that does not detract from its remarkable accuracy.

There is no current production of SIG or SIG Sauer pistols in Switzerland - or at least not that I am aware of.

Balor

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The SIG P210 was not tested “at 50 meters handheld”. It was tested clamped in a machine - and this is clearly stated on the test target.

Nonetheless, that does not detract from its remarkable accuracy.

There is no current production of SIG or SIG Sauer pistols in Switzerland - or at least not that I am aware of.

Balor
I believe you are correct. It looks like they are producing only military weapons these days.

That's too bad as the Swiss reputation for quality and meticulous craftsmanship is second to none.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts