Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For no particular reason except I had the money and it was for sale, a Sig P230 in 7.65 followed me home from a gunshow.
I've looked at these for some time, and this one was new in the box, reputedly an overrun for the Japanese police.
It has a manual safety and a decocker; the manual of arms is pure Walther; the slide stop is internal and is combined with an ejector. The trigger bar on the other side also looks familiar. Takedown uses a port side lever.
The decocker is in the frame, unlike the lever and drum in the Walther. It is likely more durable, and the manual goes to great length about not manually decocking it.

Haven't fired it yet; this evening will do it.
Suspect that the .380 version is softer shooting than the equivalent PP; there appears to be more mass to the slide. In .32, this should be a sweetheart.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, range run, 100% function with my 883' reloads and Fiocchi factory. Shot very straight at 21 and 50 feet; great single action trigger, long/heavy double action.
Despite relatively light weight (aluminum frame), recoil was very pleasant and had no sting.
Mag does have a heel release, but speedy mag changes apparently aren't an European concern. Also, the decocker occupies the space where a button mag release would go.

Reflecting an old conversation here, the semi-rimmed .32 cases appear to headspace on the chamber shelf and the breech face.
Pleased with the purchase.

The original title is based on the gun's similarity to a Walther; if the PP series were designed in the latter part of the 20th century, this is what they would look like.
Moon

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
My son took delivery of a SIG Sauer P232 made in 2000 on Saturday, it is chambered in .380 ACP and is one of the few guns that his new police department allows as a back-up gun. The gun is indeed traditionally made and of high quality. He got his pre-owned off gun broker with three factory mags, Hogue grips only and no box. The gun has been fired very little and was well cared for.

When compared to his girlfriends Glock 42, it is noticeably bigger and considerably heavier.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Interesting find. I’ve not shot the 7.62 and didn’t know they even came with a manual safety. I have 2 P232s in .380, one SS and the other light weight aluminum that I mentioned in a previous post that my wife carried as her purse gun. 17oz unloaded. I assure you even the .380 recoil is light. The substantial grip I think helps to absorb a lot of the felt recoil and when she was shooting it last weekend the muzzle flip was notably negligible as I stood behind her observing.

You’re right, the P230/232 was SIG’s answer to the Walther PP. Beautiful lines, graceful curves. They’re solid guns that I’ve read only good things about though the P232 addressed an AD issue (if the gun was dropped I believe). I’d have to go back and refresh my memory.

Curious the recommendation to not use the decocker.

When disassembling, be careful about the ejector. It’s only held to the frame with a small metal pin. I usually keep my thumb on it when doing a regular cleaning but it will pop off if you’re not careful.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
HMC, congrats, but photos or it didn’t happen :p

I finally got a LNIB P230 in .32 last month, which completes the caliber trifecta. I need to get a family photo posted; all three are pristine examples of a fine SIG.

Reactions: ronin11

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Uh, I didn’t know there was such a beast. If so, then you just ruined my day :eek:

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Well, if Tanfoglio doesn’t own one, then I will continue to believe that no such beast is lurking out there. Ditto for the P232 version in .22. That said, I would have to buy one if I ever happened across such a unicorn.

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, Doc, you misunderstood my earlier post...the only way the want you to decock is with the decocker.
The manual safety is an oddball, according to the dealer. It was specified for a Japanese police contract, and they wanted a belt and suspenders. The safety only works with the hammer down; no cocked and locked.
There is a spring-loaded firing pin block, to address any dropsafe issue.
And I gotta learn how to post pics. Sigh.
Moon

·
Registered
12 Posts
I converted my Japanese spec to normal hammer and no frame safety. I actually enjoy it now. I also added some original P230 factory walnut grips. The only way to tell how this started life is the notch in the slide and the dot in the frame (was red)

I had the slide refinished by CCR in their "CPII Dusk" finish. A blackened nickel ceramic.

·
Registered
362 Posts
PGT those are some handsome SIGs. I fitted my stainless with black aluminum Hogues. Now I want the wood grips on the dark alloy one. Those are really nice.

@Moon: ya know its been 38 years since I was “Doc”. :) I think I can still hit a vein if it came down to it. Lol..

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Assumed the 'DS' was 'Doctor of Surgery.' I'll cease and desist if you wish! :D
Great pics of everyone's pistols.
No problem with the manual safety; don't use the guns for anything serious, and the safety is unique to the Nipponese Police model.
But the safety does prevent the installation of those nifty wooden grips.....
Moon

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I had given a P232 to my son as a back up gun. Dallas PD does not allow a lot of guns unless an officer is past probation.

There were a lot of officers qualifying with their back up guns and Micki with the P232 did best of all, better then the guys with the G26'es.
Don't bash the Glock 26, though. It is what he will carry when he is past probation but he really likes the P232 that I had given him when he graduated academy and he will keep it.

On a side note, I just bought a 4th gen G19 from him with 3 mags for $350 that he got from a fellow LEO to help him out to buy a duty shotgun instead of checking a different neglected gun out every day.

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PzGren, are you telling me that your son has to carry an issued gun each day, rather than having his own duty weapon? That seems like a crazy way to run a railroad.
G26s are fat, stubby buggers, but they shoot well; a G43 would be easier to hide as a backup.

Not surprised he shot a good score with the Sig; good ergos, good sights, decent trigger. Caliber?

Huge sympathy for harness bulls; the amount of crap they have to carry has to be tiresome.

Thanks for your son's service in public safety.
Moon

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Dallas PD allows only a short list of duty weapons and for officers in the first year that list is much shorter, even. They have to go to AR school and be certified before they can carry their personally bought AR on duty, the waiting list for certification is about four years. They have to buy a Colt or Daniel Defense from what I remember. They can get a Remington 870 Police anytime but it has to be the Police model and unmodified, four rounds.

The problem with Dallas PD is obviously not only a financial problem but a management problem.

When my son is finally Glock certified he will carry a G17 and a G26 as a back up weapon. With the high probability of getting involved in a firefight, he has to think tactical and the G26 uses the same mags as the G17, the G43 doesn't.

I usually carry a G23/9 or a G26 and even dressed witha T-shirt, the G26 is not visibly printing in a Vanguard Raven holster. I only have this since a few week so I cannot tell how well it will hold up in the long run but it is comfortable and conceals very well.

"Not surprised he shot a good score with the Sig; good ergos, good sights, decent trigger. Caliber?"

Halfmoon,

it is a .380 ACP. He carries a SIG Sauer P229 DAK in 9mm and was best in academy with it, too. He outshot also all trainers and is a competent handgunner, which is no wonder. I hauled him and his brother to the gun range from an early age and we put over 100,000 rounds through one S&W 22A alone together. Last week end we shot my Feinwerkbau 300S in my back yard on small reactive steel targets at about 20 yards. It was fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts