Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! So I recently made a pistol purchase... sat down to buy a 92FS when I saw a CPO Sig p226 9mm for 570.00. I snabbed it up because I can hardly find them in 9mm. Anyway, I took it home, cleaned it, lubed it, fired a 100 rounds through it and started noticing some "flaking". I posted in the Sig forum but can't seem to get much of a response and was hoping you gentlemen could give me your advice. It is a CPO so I understand its a frankengun, but I don't think you should be able to flake off finish with your nail. It has a 1 year warranty and I've contacted Sig about the issue. They've asked me to ship it to them and they will examine/evaluate.

PS... the gun shot like a dream and the SA pull was unbelievable.... DA was a bit of a reach for me.

Album — Postimage.org

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have seen that before, too. People will piece together a gun with sourced parts. While intended for said pistol, the finishes might not match. (ie some stainless, some carbon steel, some alloy) so they will send it off for a single matching finish, and like Mike Anderson said, Cerakote will do the trick. But it will also wear at stress points like sharp edges much more quickly. I am contemplating having my FrankenMauser Cerakote treated, but am curious as to how it will hold up. Guess I could always get it touched up...

But I digress. Please let us know what Sig says. They also have great customer service, when you can reach them in their hours. Hahah. Can’t tell you how many times I got to doing something and thought “Crap I need to call them” only to be like ten minutes too late.

When I did get in touch, though, they were spot on. Fast as fast can be in turnaround times.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hadn't noticed your pics before. Judging by what I see, I'd be extremely comfortable saying that the pistol has been Cerakote'd by someone. After 100 rounds though, it shouldn't be breaking down like that. Whoever did the Cerakote didn't take the time to clean the pistol completely, otherwise it would be sticking onto the metal much better. Cerakoting is basically a spray and bake process. If you don't clean it very well, it won't adhere well. IMHO.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I saw your post at the Beretta Forum on this same subject. It seems now that Sig agreed to take it back (from your post over there). But, someone on that forum did a good job of explaining why they thought this was happening to ya.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I posted this on a few forums just in case I didn't get much feedback. Thanks all of the information. I hate it happened for any reason, but Sig contacted me today and told me they would be replacing the frame. I'm really pleased with their customer service!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Yeah man. Like I said, great customer service. I had a magazine failing in a new P320, and it seemed to be a known problem. They sent me a return label for the errant one, and shipped out a new one post haste. Not even a question, just handled it. Great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts