Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help. I am considering another purchase and I need some advice by some of you who have experience with both Sig's and P99's. I have two '99's. Love 'em and shoot them for USPSA. I would like a compact to match and carry for CCW. I am pretty superstitious about getting familiar with one gun and sticking with it that is why I am leaning towards the compact. I am not LE, basically a recreational shoot and self-defense.

I was considering a Sig 226. I know of Sig's reputation but I have never fired one. I don't need to buy both so who out there can help me with some comparisons between the two. Honest assessments without putting down either please.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Buddy of mine has a Sig P229. Its a .40 cal and is a smooth shooting gun. I really like the sights on the Sig, they're nice and tight, and the singe action on the gun is really, really crisp.

BUT, The gun is a little fat for my tastes. And, as smooth as it is, I think I like the cycle on the P99 a bit better (also in .40), even though the recoil is a bit more severe because it is a lighter weapon. I think your hand is a bit higher on the P99 than it is on the Sig too. If you're going to carry the gun, I think that makes the decision right there (fatter and heavier on the Sig).

They are both fine weapons. The Sig has a lot of "levers" on the side. You have your mag release there too, right among all the levers (slide stop lever, decocker, and takedown). The P99 has only the slide stop, and if you're getting an AS, you'll have the decocking plate on the top of the slide. It's very minimal and narrow, I like it.

Sorry to jump around, points keep popping into my mind. I think I'm slightly more accurate with the Sig, but because the sights are tighter. However, acquisition on the P99 surpasses the Sig and I can shoot faster. The drop in accuracy is almost negligible in self defense situations.

Finally, I think that if you're familiar with your walthers, then the P99 compact will feel natural. You can even use the same magazines! Just don't fall into my situation. All I own are walthers!!!

-stunks

·
Registered
53 Posts
i've thought about gettin a sig as well and probably will at some point but from all the ones i've handled, the grip just isn't as comfortable when compared to the p99s, probably why i bought that first

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have  P99 in 9mm and a SIG P228, which is a compact 9mm.

SIG makes excellent weapons, and markets the P228 as a compact (actually, it's the compact version of the P226 you're looking at). You will never have a reliability problem with the SIG, but there are easier pistols to conceal than the P228.  If you want a concealable SIG, you might want to consider their P239.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Kramer is right on...if you want to conceal, the P226 is not the one to choose. I have a P228 -- it's about the same size as my P99. It's a very good weapon and extremely reliable. I like the ergonomics and the controls, particularly the decocking lever placement and action.

But I use my P99 for carry.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I shoot the Walther better than any other gun. It fits my hand so well like it was designed around me.
I've owned sigs in the past, and while they are fine weapons I just can't shoot them well. They have a high bore access.
The Walther is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like most Sigs more than my Walther P99 AS. I have fired the 220, 226, 228, and 239. My favorite was the 220 (it fit my hand very well) and my least favorite was the 228 (the grip is a little too short for my hand). But all of them had that excellent Sig trigger. I almost purchased a 239 instead of the P99 but they are almost the same size and weight and the P99 has such an advantage in the capacity department. Overall I might say that metal Sigs are more refined than the P99, but the P99 is more innovative,

·
Registered
130 Posts
You cannot go wrong with either system. Both are well made, well engineered, and effective. That said, it falls to personal preference for a given task.

For CCW, I prefer the Walther. It holds a large ammo count and conceals nicely in an IWB holster. The SIG226 is too thick in the grip. The P228 is better, though I feel that the P225 is the best full size 9mm for concealment. In my opinion, the P225 and the Walther are highly comparable in ergonomics and practical comfort. The Walther holds almost twice as much ammo though.

You can't go wrong with either manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a chance to grope a few Sig's and 99's today while visiting in another town. Maybe I am somewhat preconditioned but the Walther felt much more natural in my grasp. The Sig was too beefy (226). I have average size hands and I am sure I could find one to fit but I think the 228 and the 99 are comparable. Both trigger pulls seemed the same, albeit this was dry firing. Next I will have to fire a Sig. The only con against a Sig that I have come across was with some models propensity to rust.? P99's can warp and some have had mag problems. Such is life... I could use the Sig for IDPA or USPSA but I am really looking for a compact to carry. I am still favoring the 99. Comments have been a great help, any more would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have shot both of those guns many times, and I'll have to say that the P226 has nothing on the P99 in terms of concealed carry purposes. The P226 is far too large and heavy compared to the P99. The friend of mine who I borrowed the P226 from is planning on getting a Sig P230 or P99 Compact for concealed carry.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I had a 228 and a 225 before I switched to the P99. The 228 which has a grip similar to the 226 is way too fat in my hand and I had trouble shooting accurately. The 225 is thinner and I did better with it, but nothing compared to how well I shoot the P99 QA. I think the Sig is well engineered for reliability, but they are too wide. I do like the contour of the Sig trigger, that is one thing I wish could be transferred to the P99. And also the Sigs are well balanced, just too chunky for me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I shot many rounds through my friend's Sig Pro .40 cal but I didn't like all the levers hanging off of it...my personal preference. Sig makes great guns and that friend only had less than 10 failure to fire or feed when using crap ammo. That gun was rather wide/thick.

The Sig was the first handgun I ever shot, I rented a few Glocks, but after holding and shooting a P99...well check the signature. P99 is also more customizable out of the box than any other pistol except the new Berretta PX4 Storm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 2 P99-9 and 40 and a Sig Pro 40/357Sig. All are great guns. If cost is a factor; you'd be better off with Sig Pro as they seem to be lower cost. Either way your good to go as both are fine weapons.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For CCW, check out the P228 and P229 if you want high capacity, but if it's a slimmer SIG, you may have to look at the single column mag pistol like P225 (if you can find one) or P239. If weight is an issue for Carry, then get the Walther P99 or P99C (more concealable).
Among combat pistols, SIGs are second to none when it comes to Out of the box accuracy. Of all the pistols that I owned, only the SIG (I owned a SIG P239) and HK P7 were the ones that I didn't have to tinker with. I haven't owned a P99 though I just bought a P99C a couple of days ago, but due to waiting period, I have yet to shoot it. However, I've shot the P99 as a rental. Its grip is great and it's accurate, but I get better accuracy with SIG. You'll do well with either brand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts