Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this P99, and also got a Sidearmor kydex IWB holster for P99. I've carried leather before but never kydex. I'm thinking of switching from carrying 1911 to P99 but this gun is such a nice piece I'm wondering how much finish wear should I expect from Kydex. Also the holster is more rigid than I'm used to. Any one around here carry P99 in sidearmor?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The amount of finish wear you'll experience will vary with your usage.  The more you draw and holster the pistol the more wear you'll have.  Also with Kydex, you have to be careful to keep the holster's interior clean.  If you let dirt build up inside, it can work its way into the Kydex to form a light grit sandpaper.  Fortunately, you can hose out or wash a Kydex holster.  -You can't do that with leather.

Leather has its own perils because of the tanning acids used.  The acids can interact with the gun's finish, especially when you add body heat and or moisture (whether humidity or actual sweat).  Then again, I find leather more comfortable to wear against the body than Kydex which seems to trap heat better.

Basically holster use means wear.  There's no way around it if you are going to carry daily or practice regularly.  There's no such thing as the perfect rig which doesn't produce wear.

One of the things that seems to lessen wear with Kydex holsters is to spray a light coat of gun oil into the interior.  Wipe away the excess and just leave a light film.  I use Remsoil for that.  The interior is slightly slicker than when it is dry.  I feel it has minimized the wear.  However, you still have to clean out the holster every so often because you don't want to the dirt to settle into the oil.  Dirt in oil works as a lapping paste and that can produce wear as well. Like I said there's no perfect solution, but the light coat of Remsoil in a Kydex holster has worked for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i carry my P99 in a sidearmor IWB holster. it's a fantastic holster. i don't use the shirt tucker just the holster with a tee shirt. it conceals very nicely. i wash mine out every other day with warm soapy water. the only finish wear i have is right in front of the ejection port, but it's barely noticable. i'm sure you'll love it. if not i will buy it from you for my other walther P99.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The way I look at it is that if you wear your gun in a holster it just became a tool instead of a display piece. Use common sense and follow instructions like those given Ex. Don't be too disappointed if you notice some wear after lots of use. Call it 'added character'

Nice looking holster btw. It doesn't seem to have any active rentention though, right?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. There's no thumb snap or anything to retain the P99, but the holster appears to retain the gun well. There's a tensioner you can adjust with allen screw to make the clamshell close in tighter or looser. The gun feels very snug, almost a perfect setup for behind the back carry or 4oclock.

I have to say sidearmor makes the best Kydex holster I"ve seen, it's cleanly designed and no snag. The P99 is a nice gun though, and I already have a beater but old trusty 1911 that I dont' mind carrying but the P99 is just more compact and lighter.

By the way, how much smaller is the P99compact? I might just have to find a used one of that to carry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts