Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Should Walther have included suppressor height sights with it's new PDP"? We all know you should have co- witness sights if your choosing a red dot, or I guess it's your choice if you do or not. So should Walther have made the PDP model with suppressor height sights for those who would want a red dot, and just a plain slide for those who don't with regular sights? Should they have offered 2 versions? Red dot ready, and not?? Interested in hearing your opinions, and I hope everyone is doing well out there. Take care 馃憤

Super Moderator
IMO, nope. Many people are pretty particular about their sights...some would want the rears blacked out, while others might want a dot or maybe tritium etc. etc. And the front....same thing. Too many variables and too many opinions.

On my 4" I'm using a Shield RMS with Shield 'low mount' plate....this puts the optic low enough, I'm able to use stock height sights. And not just any ole sight....I happen to like SpeedSights. For me, this combo just can't be beat.

For my 5" I'm using a Sig Romeo1 Pro with a C&H 'thin' plate. This combo doesn't sit as low as my Shield, so I've installed a .315 tall front sight and I'm waiting on a rear sight .... it should arrive latter part of this week. I need to nail down what height the sights need to be then contact Speed Sights to see if they can make some 'tall' ones. 馃槀

Here's the 4".
Automotive lighting Toy Gas Gadget Fashion accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Machine gun

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Idk....I think Walther should have gave a look from the consumers perspective. If you buy the firearm it's say roughly $650.00, then a red dot, say $350.00 or more, then co- witness sights another $100.00 let's say. That's pretty pricey. I understand that if you want the best of anything it's going to cost you. I played in a band for over 15 years and God knows if you want to sound great you have to buy the best. ( Just an example ). I just thought maybe they could have offered a firearm optics ready, with co- witness sights and gave the consumer that wanted a red dot to save $100.00 plus dollars. If you didn't want a dot, then straight slide that's not pre-tapped. Just an opinion is all. You get a free optics plate, that's better then nothing I guess. Great gun nonetheless. I'm very happy with it, working on my Holosun, then co-witness sights lol.

Registered
Couple random thoughts...

By making the sights on the pistol "Glock Pattern" Walther was basically begging you to replace the sights anyways.

That said, I hate making any significant modifications to my pistols. Some feel different, but if I'm going to buy a pistol or rifle I want it to come the way I want from the factory (otherwise I may as well assemble it myself). I'd really like the option to get a PDP with suppressor height sights that make a true co-witness with an RMR.

My current favorite gun is the FNX-45 Tactical, largely because it comes from the factory already set up for everything. Cut for an RMR plate and has Trijicon sights that make a perfect co-witness with the red dot. I bought it and started shooting it. No tinkering required!

Idk....I think Walther should have gave a look from the consumers perspective. If you buy the firearm it's say roughly $650.00, then a red dot, say $350.00 or more, then co- witness sights another $100.00 let's say. That's pretty pricey. I understand that if you want the best of anything it's going to cost you. I played in a band for over 15 years and God knows if you want to sound great you have to buy the best. ( Just an example ). I just thought maybe they could have offered a firearm optics ready, with co- witness sights and gave the consumer that wanted a red dot to save $100.00 plus dollars. If you didn't want a dot, then straight slide that's not pre-tapped. Just an opinion is all. You get a free optics plate, that's better then nothing I guess. Great gun nonetheless. I'm very happy with it, working on my Holosun, then co-witness sights lol.
Gear doesn't define the sound as much as skill and technique does. I can make a $5,000 Gibson Custom guitar sound like absolute garbage. Meanwhile Slash or Joe Bonamassa can pick up a $100 pawn shop Strat copy and make it sing.

Similarly, Jerry Miculek can make a 100 yard shot with a J-frame revolver that has no rear sights to speak of.

It ain't always the gear so much as the user.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful pistol WOW, and I agree with the gear to a point. But sound is sound, yes the player is important first, but a Marshall isn't a older Peavy. Or a Great RANDALL. Lots of preference goes along with that as well as style. Point taken. Again... Beautiful pistol!!

Registered
Beautiful pistol WOW, and I agree with the gear to a point. But sound is sound, yes the player is important first, but a Marshall isn't a older Peavy. Or a Great RANDALL. Lots of preference goes along with that as well as style. Point taken. Again... Beautiful pistol!!
Good point about the gear. You can't escape the sound your gear gives.... or can you?

Tom Morello was quoted as saying "My take on gear is that it does not matter鈥攁t all鈥攅ver鈥攊n any circumstance.鈥 This is of course interesting because his Digitech Wah pedal is largely responsible for his iconic sound and RATM wouldn't be RATM without it. He then goes on to say RATM sounds like RATM because they made songs based on the gear they have. :unsure:

Joe Bonamassa however swears it doesn't matter if he is playing Gibson or Fender... he sounds like he sounds.

Couple interesting takes below

My view? If you're willing to use digital modeling you can make anything sound like anything :)

Edit: To get back on topic, the only gun I've ever replaced the sights on was my Beretta Pico... and that was only because the stock sights kept getting snagged on my holster and replacing them was exceptionally simple.

Replaced em with some XS big dots that were much more low profile

1 - 7 of 7 Posts