Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked my calendar and Shot Show 2015 is right around the corner. I would like to see a PPQ Compact or an update/refresh of the PPS and/or the P99c. Otherwise I am probably going to get a G26.
If you are attending the show post some pics here. I'd love to see what the Walther exhibit. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Walther and SHOT show are the epitome of character building. Hopes and dreams are dashed once a year to teach us how to be better human beings.

For the sake of my personal growth, I would like to see:

P99 with 5in slide (settle for a PPQ M1 5in)
P99 AS Defense Kit
P99 AS in .45 ACP
PPS in .380 ACP
PPS with AS trigger

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to see the CCP Gen 2.
I totally agree with you. Reviews of the CCP were promising. It really peaked my interest. I'd like to see a Quick Action trigger on that gun like the PPQ and no physical safety...But I guess I am talking about a completely different gun...the PPQ Compact that I am imagining.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
PPS in .380 makes zero sense.
Perhaps someone with arthritic wrists might disagree? Or new shooters? Or those who are recoil sensitive for whatever reason? The reduced recoil and easy to rack slide of a locked breach 380 would be welcome to some for a variety of reasons.

Despite the close dimension in case length (17mm vs. 19mm), .380 muzzle energy is usually under 200 ft lbs., whereas most 9mm is over 300 ft lbs. A fairly substantial difference. While ideally you want maximum energy, some folks may not be able to handle the higher energy caliber, even something most might consider tame.

Might not be for you, but 'zero sense'?

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Would the .380 cartridge be enough to cycle the slide of a PPS, in addition to being able to feed a new load on the return trip?

I would think the spring would have to have a lesser rate, as well as a lighter slide. And that will increase recoil, wouldn't it?
Capacity wouldn't have any improvement over the 9mm, and I think that with a Limbsaver grip sleeve or the like, the recoil wouldn't be much if any more than with the Kurz cartridge.
And then there's the strength needed to rack the slide. The PPS isn't the easiest gun to load, between the skinny slide and
the force needed, someone with weak hands, bad wrists, or arthritis or carpal tunnel, it may be a job in itself to rack it, even with a reduced spring as might be needed for a .380 version.

My wife has a Small & Worthless Bodyguard 380....the thing sucks, to be honest. I know it's nowhere close to a fair compare, but it's hard to aim, the sights suck, the trigger sucks, breaking it down sucks even more, and the recoil sucks.
It's pretty bad when she can shoot my .40 PPS as good or better than the .380 pistol.
But we're comparing bananas to watermelons here, so I'll stop.

Of course, there is the PK380...but if the hype of the CCP lives up to itself, I'd probably just go that route.

Personally, I'd love to see some real world measurement and comparisons of the PK380 and CCP recoil in a measurable and graphical readout, along with muzzle flip and energy, and perhaps even some chrono readings, while we're at it.

Bueller?

Bueller...? :D

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Sounds great in theory... but when you actually have to satisfy the costs of development and manufacturing, catering to a small subset really doesn't make "sense". ;)
Ah, business sense? I can't argue you that point, as I have no data. I concede that the market may not exist to make it worthwhile. Although, Glock seems to think so with the G42 :eek:.

Not that copying Glock is necessarily the way to success or even survival.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Would the .380 cartridge be enough to cycle the slide of a PPS, in addition to being able to feed a new load on the return trip?
Of course, there is the PK380...but if the hype of the CCP lives up to itself, I'd probably just go that route... :D
In order to keep the same slide, a much weaker recoil spring would indeed be needed.

I bought the missus a PK380 for Christmas, only had it to the range once. Anecdotally, racking the slide seems to take only half the force of my P99s, and perceived recoil is next to nothing. It just doesn't feel like the quality of Ulm... If it holds up, and she gains enough confidence for it to double as a nightstand and carry weapon, it is all good. It only took me 20 years to get her to try shooting, now she loves her 22, but hasn't been willing to graduate to a higher power caliber.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I think Walther has FAR too many handguns on the market. Pick several then refine them! Get rid of that safe backstrap on the PPS!! Get someone else to make the PPK, PPK/S series. Figure out what you really want to be in the full size guns!!!

Too many variants mean lower profits. What they used to make in the P99AS was perfect!!!

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
M_E_, I do agree with you. Walther has, what..4 or 5 CC-friendly handguns? PPS, P99c, PPK/S, and now the CCP that is new, and prone to "controversy" and is a long-term unknown.

The PPQ is near enough to perfect as it is, and if Walther did feel the need to make it available with a safety, at least have it as an option, so those of us who have trained to carry and use it without will not have to learn new habits. As I also feel that a safety in 75% of the time is nothing more than a feel good switch. A rifle, or a dedicated military firearm, yes..hell yes, needs a safety. Anyway...

We also would love to see a factory 5" Classic offered. This is almost so obvious that it's painful.

I can't care any less about the PPS backstrap...it won't break if one doesn't fool around with it, and a good amount of folk use a rubber grip sleeve anyway, so...

The P99c...nothing i can add, except to send about 200,000 of them to America ASAP. I'd like to own one in .40 even though I've all but ran away from the round. More of a "just to have it in my safe" thing, though it WOULD get used for target practice and occasional carry.

The PPX: How about one with a paddle release, and make both styles in .45 Auto to boot? Would be the first choice for my home defense handgun(s) in the setup. Hell, I could learn to love the button as long as it came in .45. Throw on night sights, an extended mag, and call it the Defense Kit, and shut up and take my money. :)

The P99. Perfect. I'll take two...one of each caliber. I need them yesterday. :D

The PPK, PPK/S. I want one that's made like it was back in "the day". You know, the real ones, not the watered down, S&W infected things they sell today. I also want mine in .32. You can take the .380 and do unspeakable things with it. I'm being kind here, too.

Have fun! :D

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Prediction: no new Walther handguns at the Shot Show. ;)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Limited Edition steel framed P.38

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Are they too stupid to read blueprints and mechanical drawings?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think Walther has FAR too many handguns on the market. Pick several then refine them! .... Figure out what you really want to be in the full size guns!!!

Too many variants mean lower profits.
I totally agree. IMO, that's what started Sig and Kimber on their downward trajectory.

Stick with what you know and do best. Keep quality high. Don't cater to silly marketing "ideas".

1 - 20 of 143 Posts