Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out pretty good...as moved out, seemed to start hitting high....my misses were consistently high. Obviously likely the shooter, but can anyone shed light on this?

Seemed to experience a flip at times -"hold the gun tighter sonny, perhaps??).

Felt good in my hand, but didn't like hitting high a fair amount. May have asked already , but this gun's trigger doesn't reset, does it?

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
May have asked already , but this gun's trigger doesn't reset, does it?
Yes, you have asked before, and we responded. I think you may be using a wrong term (reset).

This is a single action only trigger....if the trigger didn't reset, you couldn't fire the second shot.

The striker is fully cocked every time you fire the pistol or manually rack the slide. After firing a round the trigger will reset when you let it return forward 1/10"....'click'....that's it....it just reset.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've had about 20 9mms in the past decade. The PPQ 9mm does have some flip.

Most tell me to buy a different gun, but many here have purchased a
recoil spring kit for the Qs recoil.

I'll let everyone know how the Zahal DPM unit works for me.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yes, you have asked before, and we responded. I think you may be using a wrong term (reset).

This is a single action only trigger....if the trigger didn't reset, you couldn't fire the second shot.

The striker is fully cocked every time you fire the pistol or manually rack the slide. After firing a round the trigger will reset when you let it return forward 1/10"....'click'....that's it....it just reset.
Old Fart, you have the patience of a saint.

Balor

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A good grip will help mitigate muzzle rise. I watched a guy shooting a Magnum Research Desert Eagle .50 AE the other day .... he had very little muzzle rise.....but a big grin. Also watched him shooting one of my 5" 9mm Q's.....almost ZERO muzzle rise.

I shot one of my 5" 40 caliber Q's today......actually surprised myself with the group, using open sights.

Finished up with my Sig MPX.....using my newest ******* rifle rest.....awesome little pistol. This little gun makes me smile.

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
katie what sight picture are you using? The Q sight picture is generally sight picture III.

The best way to feel the reset on your Q is to release the trigger slowly after the shot until you get the feel of the reset. As I said before, you will feel it but if you go quickly it is more difficult.

As to muzzle flip if after a few hundred rounds you still feel this is an issue you might consider a SprinCo RSA. Alan makes a great recoil reduction system that will really decrease the muzzle flip but I'd suggest you send 3 to 5 hundred rounds down range before you decide to get one of his RSAs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sight picture

katie what sight picture are you using? The Q sight picture is generally sight picture III.

The best way to feel the reset on your Q is to release the trigger slowly after the shot until you get the feel of the reset. As I said before, you will feel it but if you go quickly it is more difficult.

As to muzzle flip if after a few hundred rounds you still feel this is an issue you might consider a SprinCo RSA. Alan makes a great recoil reduction system that will really decrease the muzzle flip but I'd suggest you send 3 to 5 hundred rounds down range before you decide to get one of his RSAs.

I use combat sight picture - sight picture just below middle of the bull eye- isn't sight picture III set higher on the target? I had wondered about whether I was using correct sight picture - further info appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts

This should clear that up....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

This should clear that up....

I am using sight picture 2...is that what you think for PPQ--obviously where you set sight picture will effect POI

Had high hopes for this gun, so if I am off somewhere, would like to know.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
You could be anticipating recoil, or it could be the second chart...which is me most of the time!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Grip issues can certainly affect accuracy and recoil control. One should not have to readjust grip between shots and be able to fire an entire magazine without doing do. Firm grip pressure is needed on both strong and support hand using the strong hand to pinch the pistol grip front to back into the back of the strong hand. A 360 all around grip will also help maintain accuracy and control. It is worth trying the other PPQ back straps to see if they impact shooting and one should not go by which one "feels best in the hand" but by results during live fire.

Trigger control is also very important and dry fire practice to the point where the pistol with sights aligned does not move off target through the striker release.

The link below by Grand Master shooter Shannon Smith on pistol grip may be helpful.

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
I am using sight picture 2...is that what you think for PPQ--obviously where you set sight picture will effect POI

Had high hopes for this gun, so if I am off somewhere, would like to know.

Many thanks
As I said katie try sight picture III. That is what they use when test firing the weapon at the factory.

This is a recent target with my Q45 shot one handed with a draw from my Wright Regulator holster rapid fire two and three round strings at ranges from 15 to 55 feet...using sight picture III....

I have a BT guide rod because SprinCo doesn't make an RSA for the Q45 yet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
One more thing I’ve noticed with many shooters are not insuring the sights are at eye level. It only needs to be a little off to through your aim off. Have someone watch you from the side a check the sight alignment with your eyes. Or, have some fun by placing 3 targets in a horizontal line. Shoot the target on the left with a carefully sighted 5 shot group holding the sight aligned above eye level. Do the same with the center target but hold the sight alignment at eye level. Last shoot the right target with the sight alignment below eye level. Note the vertical location of the group on each target. Which ever target best replicates the groupings of your previous targets should give you an idea of whether or not you have the gun sights at eye level.

If you don’t notice any difference at least you shot 15 rounds without thinking of anything but sight alignment. :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Page 19 in manual

Old Fart, you have the patience of a saint.

Balor

says " After firing you must allow the trigger to move fully forward before you can fire the next shot" Walther rep said - yes, this was confusing, and somehow was connected to staging the trigger.....so maybe I had a reason to ask the question after all.
I do appreciate the help given on this site to a 10 month shooter

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
After firing you must allow the trigger to move fully forward before you can fire the next shot" Walther rep said - yes,
Actually katie you'll find if you move the trigger forward slowly as we have mentioned before you will feel (and possibly hear) the reset. At that point the weapon is ready to fire. There will be further forward travel in the trigger past that point.

From a safety standpoint it is wise to let your finger travel fully forward past the reset point as that will diminish the chances of unintended double taps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sight picture III

As I said katie try sight picture III. That is what they use when test firing the weapon at the factory.

This is a recent target with my Q45 shot one handed with a draw from my Wright Regulator holster rapid fire two and three round strings at ranges from 15 to 55 feet...using sight picture III....

I have a BT guide rod because SprinCo doesn't make an RSA for the Q45 yet.

As only shooting 10 mos, maybe I am missing something...if I am hitting high, isn't sight picture III set higher on the target, and thus would hit higher? Sorry if I am missing something, and appreciate your help

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
Katie Joe....with only 10 months shooting, I'd suggest getting some professional assistance. Go to the range and take some lessons. They'll demonstrate a proper grip and discuss aiming and sight picture, trigger control and much more. It'll be money well spent.

In addition, let the pro shoot your pistol to see how the POA/POI works for him. PPQ's are set up to use a combat sight picture....sight picture 3.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have done as you suggest

Katie Joe....with only 10 months shooting, I'd suggest getting some professional assistance. Go to the range and take some lessons. They'll demonstrate a proper grip and discuss aiming and sight picture, trigger control and much more. It'll be money well spent.

In addition, let the pro shoot your pistol to see how the POA/POI works for him. PPQ's are set up to use a combat sight picture....sight picture 3.

Taken several lessons, getting instruction on all you mention. Feel pretty comfortable, and have improved fairly quickly....not at all as good as you much more experienced guys of course, but instructors pretty impressed.

I do use combat sight picture....just didn't realize it was referred to as sight picture 3.
Letting the pro shoot my PPQ sounds like a good idea. thanks for everything.

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
Yep, check your test target that came with your pistol.

This target is from a PPQ 5" 9mm at 15 meters (49 feet). Sight picture 3 was used.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes have someone else shoot your gun preferably a range officer or experienced shooter...if still shooting high why not put on a taller front sight. Another option try different ammo before changing it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts