Walther Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did perform a search, but could not find exactly the questions I have, maybe I didn't search hard enough, but apologies if these are repeats (I'm sure they are.)

I have long enjoyed the looks of the P99, and finally got to put 50 rnds through a .40 P99 AS yesterday at the range.

After 3 shots I was spot on, it fits my hand perfectly, and aiming seems very natural.

It was a range rental gun, which I shot because I am considering getting one in 9MM, seeing as it would be cheaper to shoot, and have higher mag caps. Shooting it brought me a few questions to ask...

1st: With the AS model, is it always a double-action trigger pull on the first shot? Is there any way to make it single for the entirety of the magazine? I've read many articles about the QA/DAO/AS models, but I still don't entirely understand the differences.

2nd: It failed to feed properly 3 times, which could have been due to it being a range gun and not being cleaned. The slide closed on the round and I had to pull the slide back to get it to chamber properly.

3rd: What should I pay for a 9MM AS NIB? Should I consider the QA or DAO? Would they be cheaper/more expensive? The range I fired at didn't have a 9MM in stock, but searched and said they could have one for 589$.

Thanks in advance,
Mahalaleel

·
Registered
328 Posts
The AS can be carried as a single action (how I carry mine). Just chamber a round and it's cocked with trigger forward. You now have the option of carrying single action forward trigger OR you can carefully move the trigger to the rear and carry in a more traditional single action with the trigger rearward.

To go back to a double action long heavy pull use the de cocker.

As far a failures, could be an ammo issue if it was reloads, could be a filthy gun or other causes.

$589.00 is about right on the P99. You may find it on the net for less but that's around average.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Obviously you're a person of discerning taste! :)
1) Nope, your choice of double or single. If you have one in the chamber it is single action by default, if not, well, you're going to need to pull the slide anyway. If you don't like the initial single action after putting one in the chamber, just decock it and it will be double action.

2) Your question here was...?

3) Haven't bee following pricing for them. I prefer the P99c...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Obviously you're a person of discerning taste! :)
1) Nope, your choice of double or single. If you have one in the chamber it is single action by default, if not, well, you're going to need to pull the slide anyway. If you don't like the initial single action after putting one in the chamber, just decock it and it will be double action.

2) Your question here was...?

3) Haven't bee following pricing for them. I prefer the P99c...
Haha yeah...Sorry about question 2!

2) Are these failures common! Hah. re-reading is your friend...

Thanks for the great answers! I believe I now fully understand the QA/SA/DAO systems!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Haha yeah...Sorry about question 2!

2) Are these failures common! Hah. re-reading is your friend...

Thanks for the great answers! I believe I now fully understand the QA/SA/DAO systems!
Not from the reports I have seen. I have one with issues but generally most folks are very happy and report that they will eat anything...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had read that they were very reliable, which was why I was surprised with the failures to feed. I also read that the 9MM reported fewer problems than the .40. Is there any truth to that statement?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
So far my "new to me" P99 has eaten everything I have put in the clip - we are about 500 rounds. No problems yet.

Mine is a 9m/m.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'll be getting a 9MM AS in the near future then...

:)

Is there anything I should specify when I ask the dealer to order it, seeing as they found one they could order, but had none in stock?

I see posts about the eagle over the N, is that significant for any reason, or any other little things I should mention?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes, there is: unless your state laws demand a ten round limit in the magazine, be sure he orders the version (there are different stock numbers) with the hi-cap magazines.

I speak from experience and am the [not] proud owner of two of the wretched limited magazines. It was either that or wait another six weeks for the right pistol. Naturally I started shopping for hi-cap magazines immediately, but the right word at the time of ordering can save you this problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's exactly what I'm looking for as far as advice, thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I speak from experience and am the [not] proud owner of two of the wretched limited magazines. It was either that or wait another six weeks for the right pistol. Naturally I started shopping for hi-cap magazines immediately, but the right word at the time of ordering can save you this problem.
Or you could just buy the P99c compact version. It's the ones the real studs get. (Joking, joking, don't hurt me!) Not only that but since the max cap for a mag is 10 rounds, you don't have to worry about mag high versus low capacity! :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
All 9mm are made in Germany and will have the Eagle/N proof marks...the ones that don't would be some .40s that SW may have have a hand in producing...some .40s are all German made but you have to look for the proof marks.

I have both the full size and the compact. If I had to have only ONE I would choose the compact. Then you could use the standard 10 rd finger extension mags, the full size limited 10 rd mags or the full size hi-caps...just get a grip extension and you can have the best of both worlds...

But I like the full size too so I have one of each...and then some.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't held a compact, but (not to offend anyone's baby) I don't particularly like the looks of it. I've seen it with the grip extension and it looked fine, but I figure I may as well go for full size :).

That being said, my 9mm P99AS with hi-cap mags is on its way to the store!

·
Registered
923 Posts
For an all German gun look for the eagle over N on the frame, slide and barrel.

I have a .40 AS as I wanted something with a little more oomph. My compact is a 9mm. It has a good amount of kick, so I couldn't imagine the compact in .40. but, to each his own.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/32922
In stock and ready to go to your ffl when they get around to shipping it in a week or so :D
So, I looked at that exact link, and it doesn't specify that it IS an AS, although it does seem to specify when it's a QA or DAO, is that link to an AS? Also, local range already ordered it for the higher price of 589$, and I wouldn't want to offend them. Would a FFL charge to receive the package? Is shipping of a comparable amount? Are there disadvantages to getting the gun online?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Couple ways you know it is. The part number WAP77010 is for the AS trigger. The Single / Double action trigger is also the same. FFL transfer costs are usually from $10.00 (very low) to $35.00 (steep), $25.00 is about normal around here. There is also often a charge for a background check of around $5.00, though this may also be true for a local dealers sale, policies vary. Also, some dealers will refuse to transfer in any new merchandise for brands that they sell. Also with the local dealer you may get taxed when the online version will only tax you if it's in the same state.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts