Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a Walther P1 and P5, both 80s production, that appear to shoot low for me. I’ve recently changed the rear sight on the P5 for a different height and brought up the point of impact. My question is, did the Germans teach a different hold for aiming their pistols? Or is just the factory sights on the guns I have? I don’t think it’s me, none of my other handguns shoot low like the P1 and P5.

Just curious.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What sight hold do you use, 6 o'clock or center hold? Does it shoot low with all ammo?

They never say what they use at the factory as a test load when they shoot the test targets, I always assumed its a standard ball 124 gr.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
If the Germans had a different aiming hold/technique it would affect all the Walther pistols you have because they would not have had different sighting methods for different guns. At least understanding the German need to be precise and have exactness in their products I do not think they would do one thing on pistol A and another on pistol B.

I think @HHPIN asked a good question about ammo. that could easily be the culprit if you are using different ammo with different pistols.

I recently installed a CT laser on my PPS M2. I foresighted it with a Sighmark laser before going to the range. Using a blank wall at 25 feet I I observed that with the proper alignment of the gun's sights that the top of the front sight was in the center of the projected red dot on the wall. The point of aim and point of impact corresponded perfectly. Then I put. target on the all and repeated the test. What I found was that when the red dot was on the center of the target the top of the front sight was too.

That makes me believe that the M2's sights are set for center aiming. But at 25 feet I cannot be certain. I adjusted the laser sight so its green dot overlayedthe foresight red dot. At the range using a bench rest I tested the sighting. I had never done that with any pistol before. At 25 feet I found that the point of impact was exactly where the green dot from the CT laser was, and that the top of the front sight was also. Does that mean the gun should be aimed on center? I do not know, but I think so.

Maybe you should do some shooting with the pistols using a bench rest at the range and trying different aim points. You willat least get a clue that way. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
HK', let someone else shoot your gun; see if POI changes.
Lasers are great for getting close, but the gun moves in recoil when the shot breaks.Rifles, not nearly so much, but handguns do weird stuff.

Have you tried benching it? Rest your forearms and the triggerguard, but not the butt...that will affect that recoil movement.
Moon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I’ve shot 115 grain Magtech, 124 grain MEN, and 124 grain Winchester NATO loads through the P1 so far. The P5 shot all those plus 124 grain standard pressure HST, until I switched the P5 rear sight to a taller one, it fixed my point of impact. My father had the same issue, shooting low with the P1 too. We’re used to a 6 o’clock hold, so I wasn’t sure if the Germans were training with a 12 o’clock or something like that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My P99, and HK P30 don’t appear to have this issue weirdly enough, nor does my Sig. My father has his own P1 (our serial numbers are consecutive, which is cool) that shoots low, I’m left to think that we just have sights that are off.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with the guns and I’m excited about starting my Walther collection.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
From the test targets with the Walthers, have to believe that they used POA/POI, rather than 6 o'clock.
Moon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the test targets with the Walthers, have to believe that they used POA/POI, rather than 6 o'clock.
Moon
I think my sights must just be off on the P1 and need a different height front sight. Even holding at 12 o’clock the POI is about 4 inches lower than POA at 10 yards.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It’s been all HKs and Glocks before I got into Walthers.

Hmm ...
Usually, such strange situations arise if the user has a fairly stable shooting skill and switches to a weapon with significantly different ergonomics. HK and Glock have a noticeably different balance due to the center of gravity shifted forward (relative to P38).
There is a simple sports way to understand who is “to blame”, You or the gun.
To do this, let the other person charge the mag alternately in random order with live and drill cartridges.
Of course, so that the shooter does not know which cartridge is next.
If, when firing a drill cartridge, is seen "nodding", then the shooter is "blame". This is a consequence of muscular compensation for recoil, too intense for a more maneuverable pistol.
It is good to use a laser for clarity.
This is treated by leisurely shooting several tens or hundreds of cartridges from a sporting position, with periodic monitoring of “nodding” in the manner described above.
In addition to many cartridges, no less patience and effort will be required.
This usually helps.

PS Do not find it difficult to report the result.
Be kind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts