Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals, first time poster here. Just bought a PPQ M2 and love all the usual things: ergonomics, trigger reliability, etc. However after my first 100 rounds this afternoon my POI was about 3 inches below POA at 10 yds. I had expressly gotten the LE steel XS front sight and wasn't sure if I was holding with the wrong sight picture or what. I tried several. If I need to get a replacement lower front sight, I can't find it on Walther site and it's sold out on XS's. What to do?
Mack

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Could be so many things....

- Yiu could be anticipating recoil and pushing downward.

- You may have used the wrong front site.

- Or your aim alignment is wrong.

Which XS do you have? If you are using a 6 o’clock hold, I believe the XS use combat aim where you are supposed to cover the target center. If that’s the case you are aiming low..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using the XS that came on the pistol new (LE version with night sight). I've tried all 3 holds. This XS has a rear sight with a U shaped cut out, not the usual "shallow V" you see on their website. I know polymer front sights can be had in a set with various heights, but I can't find anything similar for this situation. Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I’m assuming you are talking about a 9mm PPQ. If you are shooting 115gr bullets they will naturally shoot low 147gr will shoot high so 127 is about right. This is true for all calibers, lighter bullets will shoot lower than heavier bullets. However 3” low seems a little much. Before you change the sights make sure you have the sights at eye level many shooters tend to allow the sights to drop below eye level. Sorry but I’m have no experience with XS sights, factory sights use sight picture 3. I have SpeedSights on my PPQ M2 SC and they use position 2.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Answer to Riddle

Thanks to all. After another 150 rounds today, I think I found the problem. With the new F8 XS sights, you don't put the dot of the "i" right on top of the lower mark. It should be at the top of the "U" cut in the rear sight. Equivalent to a quite high dot on the i! Never seen anything like this, but this technique works all day right on target.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was having that problem with mine after having installed a 10-8 rear U sight.... even after changing out the front blade to 1 step shorter one purchased from Walther direct.

Long story short as soon as I blacked out the front blade's white dot my eyeball naturally put rear & front blade together, correctly. The thing is VERY accurate now.

Anything I have from now on that isn't a night sight (Trit or Phos) will be blacked out via sharpie or paint.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was having that problem with mine after having installed a 10-8 rear U sight.... even after changing out the front blade to 1 step shorter one purchased from Walther direct.

Long story short as soon as I blacked out the front blade's white dot my eyeball naturally put rear & front blade together, correctly. The thing is VERY accurate now.

Anything I have from now on that isn't a night sight (Trit or Phos) will be blacked out via sharpie or paint.
Thanks for your response, that's a great idea! Thank you for your service.
Mack

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for your response, that's a great idea! Thank you for your service.
Mack
You're welcome!

The thing about it is it's zero cost to try (via sharpie) & if it doesn't work or you don't like it you simply take an alcohol swab to it & you'll get your white dot back.

Back story: I was told to do this by a senior instructor while recently taking a multi day handgun class (he has all his sights set up in this manner).

Best of luck / happy shooting.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks to all. After another 150 rounds today, I think I found the problem. With the new F8 XS sights, you don't put the dot of the "i" right on top of the lower mark. It should be at the top of the "U" cut in the rear sight. Equivalent to a quite high dot on the i! Never seen anything like this, but this technique works all day right on target.

Not having those sights, hard to follow your description....are you saying to simply line up top of F/R sight blades as shown in their product page, https://www.xssights.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=F8 Night Sights ?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I’m assuming you are talking about a 9mm PPQ. If you are shooting 115gr bullets they will naturally shoot low 147gr will shoot high so 127 is about right. This is true for all calibers, lighter bullets will shoot lower than heavier bullets. However 3” low seems a little much. Before you change the sights make sure you have the sights at eye level many shooters tend to allow the sights to drop below eye level. Sorry but I’m have no experience with XS sights, factory sights use sight picture 3. I have SpeedSights on my PPQ M2 SC and they use position 2.
115, 124, 147....never noticed much of any difference....they all fire flat for me at distances up to 75ft. The heavier loads seem to shoot tighter groups.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not having those sights, hard to follow your description....are you saying to simply line up top of F/R sight blades as shown in their product page, https://www.xssights.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=F8 Night Sights ?
Exactly. I hadn't seen that product page (and it wasn't included in the plastic envelope for the XS sights that came with the new PPQ). I was assuming you "dotted the i" like for all the other XS sights I'd seen. They have a wide, low shallow V configuration of the rear sight and you set the dot right at the bottom of the V.

·
Registered
156 Posts
115, 124, 147....never noticed much of any difference....they all fire flat for me at distances up to 75ft. The heavier loads seem to shoot tighter groups.
You might find this article interesting.

choosing-bullet-weight

I would bet that the reason you don’t see a lot of difference is that you have pretty good control of the gun. Another thing to know is that the bullet never shoots flat. It is always rising until gravity takes over and it begins to drop. The muzzle is about an inch below the sight. We adjust the sight (or aim) to intersect the bullet path at a particular distance, most gun manufacturers design this distance to be 25 yards. The point of impact will be lower than design less than 25 yards. The amount might be minor, depending on the location of the barrel to the sight.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You might find this article interesting.

choosing-bullet-weight

I would bet that the reason you don’t see a lot of difference is that you have pretty good control of the gun. Another thing to know is that the bullet never shoots flat. It is always rising until gravity takes over and it begins to drop. The muzzle is about an inch below the sight. We adjust the sight (or aim) to intersect the bullet path at a particular distance, most gun manufacturers design this distance to be 25 yards. The point of impact will be lower than design less than 25 yards. The amount might be minor, depending on the location of the barrel to the sight.

Gravity takes over as soon as not supported by the barrel. Can't rise above bore axis without another force acting upon it.:cool:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not the best choice of words to describe that the bullet travels in an arc (trajectory) as a result of the bore axis being lower than the sights. The sight line remains constant while the barrel is angled upward to intersect the sight line at a specified distance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts