Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently have gotten involved in USPSA shooting and after attending several matches I have noticed that I am the only one who carries a P99. I was curious how many of you shoot your P99, what caliber and which sport…USPSA, IDPA, etcetera…..Have you run across many others who also shoot P99's or are you the only one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't compete, as I've only had my p99 for a few months.. I got it for other reasons. But when I took the NRA basic pistol class, one of the instructors put 5 bullets in the same hole, only stretching it by about 20% if that. The gun is dead on accurate, though I don't know how that compares with a good 1911, etc.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was planning to use it in USPSA, but I found I have problems using the "proper" grip (see my other post on "Grip Problems"). I have an AS model -- so I have to contend with the DA first shot (which I don't mind). A QA model should be the equal of any Glock...which seem to be very popular in Production Division. I don't think there's anything inherently against the P99 -- it's probably more a product of the fact that there aren't many of them out there.

If I ever work out the grip issue, my P99 will be going into competition with me. For now, it's the Beretta and the Glock.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read your post about your grip problem…I use the style recommended by Sniper350…works well for me. I shoot an early ('98) and an '05 AS P99 in USPA. I have found that using the unique trigger configuration I have an advantage over Glocks or even the QA. I simply load a mag, and do not decock the weapon. This allows for a SA first shot. Albeit for practical carry I may want to keep the weapon in DA/SA mode, I have found when competing, using this trigger option to be to my advantage.

I have noticed one thing that I have to keep in mind. The earlier version shoots better with 124 grain or heavier bullets while the later versions, '04-05 like the 115 grain. I called Walther American and the tech told me the early Euro models were sighted in with the 124 gr. because that was more popular in Europe while later models favored the 115 gr. because that was the bullet of choice favored by Americans. Has anyone else heard about this? I have to use the # 4 while using 115 gr, bullets….

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello Jake

I had to rewrite my reply 2 times, when i did read more carefully your question. I dont know about sighting, but I heard that the early (pre 04) P99s come fitted with the heavier recoil spring (50 N) for use with 124 rounds ( i think euros prefer this round) and that you can always install a lighter (48 N) recoil spring for 115 rounds instead. Thanks that you mention that on the sighting. i still wanted to mentions this.

Regards

Hector

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've used mine in a variety of comps. From IDPA to IPSC to silhouette and just some fun shoots that my club puts on. I've used both 9mm and .40. Just depends on my mood or what we're shooting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I shoot IDPA with my .40 P99 AS in the Service Pistol category and a S&W 686 4" for revolver.  I shoot Master in both categories making me believe it is as good as they come.  I have also shot PPC with the P99 and it to serves me well there also.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I shoot IDPA. There is one other guy in my local chapter who has a .40 AS. Anything besides a Glock or a 1911 and you'll be the odd man out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use my P99 in 9mm for both SSP and ESP in IDPA. I use it in production for IPSC at some clubs, but not my main club because he likes to do some very loooong range pistol shots (35-50yard pistol shots), so that match I shoot with my 1911 in L-10 or a Glock 35 both of which give me the benifit of a longer barrel and major PF ammo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts