Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Back Again after Humorous/Elbow Replacement Surgery~

I'm Baacccckkk!

I hope. Many of you know that I was forced out of shooting back in October when I blew out my right elbow and humorous.

Dangest thing. A 2010 elbow replacement seemed to have gone drastically wrong when I got excrutiating pain. A visit to the surgeon, and a scheduled replacement surgery went for nothing. When the surgeon opened up my arm, there was literally no solid bone from the elbow to about two inches below the shoulder. Just green-gray ****. All he could do was clean it out, close it back up, and send me to the Tulane Sports Medicine center in New Orleans.

Now, where the humorous should be, it's nothing but metal appliances, braces, screws, cables, etc. all the way to the shoulder on the right arm.

I have gotten permission now to start shooting my .22's now. I have to lay off of anything bigger for a while yet. And I had just purchased a brand new Walther Creed 9mm and fired it twice at the range. Bummer.

I'm posting a picture, but it's not as pretty as it feels, for sure. It posted upside-down. I didn't upload it that way. Sorry.

Wish me lots of luck. I start shooting again on Thursday, 1/24/19.

Attachments

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Registered
10,583 Posts

There, arm reattached properly. I'll send the bill shortly. Dr. 1917 Dang Mudbug, that sounds like a weird thing to have happen. I'm glad they can install steel parts. Man of steel now. Hope it works out well from this point on. Enjoy your shooting. A .22 shouldn't hurt too much and then again there are always rifles that don't recoil any amt in .22. 1917

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I hope this doesn’t come out wrong...I’ve had some reconstruction as well...but that is effing awesome! Really glad to hear you’re on the mend. Do ALL your physical therapy!

This is the first thing that came to mind:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
Mudbug, what did the Drs think caused that? I know a lot of women deal with bone loss and osteoporosis. My wife gets something from time to time and her older sister is taking some very expensive pills to help her bones. If you have other bones that are getting thin you probably need to take it easy. No parachuting, etc. I jumped off the barn roof when I was about 6 with a towel around my neck. Thought I'd fly like Superman.....worked well too...for about a second. 1917

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Mudbug, what did the Drs think caused that? I know a lot of women deal with bone loss and osteoporosis. My wife gets something from time to time and her older sister is taking some very expensive pills to help her bones. If you have other bones that are getting thin you probably need to take it easy. No parachuting, etc. I jumped off the barn roof when I was about 6 with a towel around my neck. Thought I'd fly like Superman.....worked well too...for about a second. 1917
Yeah exceptin' when you was about 6 "Superman" was still called Ye Olde Superbe Gentle Manne. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope this doesn’t come out wrong...I’ve had some reconstruction as well...but that is effing awesome! Really glad to hear you’re on the mend. Do ALL your physical therapy!

This is the first thing that came to mind:
Now THAT might be interesting! LOL!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear you’re “back in action”.

I was, however, feeling a little left out!

Child’s play compared to what you guys went through though!
I know darnod well that it didn't feel much like childs play while you were trying to recover. That a Knee?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mudbug, what did the Drs think caused that? 1917
in 2010 I had the right elbow replaced. That followed four hip replacements a few years previous to that. I have three different types of Arthritis, RA being the worst.

About three weeks after the surgery, I had climbed up on a step ladder in my back yard to repair a Purple Martin birdhouse roof that I had cranked down. It was just about this time of year, and the birds were due back any day. Otherwise, I would have waited another month or so before doing anything like that.

One of my four poles had gone through a pretty tough winter, and it's roof had started coming loose. Anyway, the repair was easy enough, and a little paint finished the job in about 15 minutes. I was trying to be real careful, making sure of my balance, level ladder footing, etc.

All went well until it came time for me to come off the ladder for the last time. Thinking that I was up on the first step, I simply stepped back to get off. I was up on the second step. No ground where it was supposed to be. When I landed, the right elbow...the one with the new elbow replacement hit on the ground before everything else. I had just had the staples taken out the day before. The newly healed incision split wide open. It was a very warm day here in South Louisiana, and I was in a short sleeve shirt. I could see the metal apparatus stuff, bleeding like crazy and full of dirt and grass.

An emergency trip to the hospital and the O.R. and a couple of hours of washing, cleaning, etc. later and it was all sewed up again. I had not damaged the replacement apparatus, so it was left intact.

My Infectious Disease doctor this time said that I must had had a bacteria there that did not get cleaned out. It attacked the bone over the years, finally dissolving to mush.

Guess what? She thinks that the bacteria is still there. After the surgery and recovery, one of the six biopsies that they took during surgery began to grow after about three or four weeks. Real slow growth, but definitely something living in there. So I went back to Tulane Hospital again and had a PICC line (IV) installed, and for six weeks, I administered a real strong antibiotic twice a day. After the six week period, the PICC line was removed, and I will be taking Amoxicillin 875mg for the rest of my life. The doctor says that she thinks that I will never completely kill it, and it is probably the one that caused the problem to begin with this time.

Actually, I have had very little pain, as long as I take the Tramadol that I have been taking since 2002. So far, it's been the best of all the replacements to recover.

I have shot both of my .22's on three successive Thursday afternoons with my geezer shooting group. I went to Tulane today, in New Orleans. The surgeon still does not want me shooting my 38 Special nor my Walther Creed 9mm yet. Another month at least.

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just a broken ankle and broken leg (tibia). Rehab and healing wasn’t fun but I’m all good now! My knees are a different story. I skied 20-35 days a year from when i was a kid to when I was about 40. I loved moguls. My knees aren’t happy about those years.

I know darnod well that it didn't feel much like childs play while you were trying to recover. That a Knee?

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
Dang Mudbug, that sounds like a lot of stuff to take care of. Be careful and make sure your body gets some healing time. My wife's sister did a similar thing a few months ago. She was out decorating for a party in Lex., KY. Trimming some small vines over a small archway. Backing down the ladder she did the exact same thing....but broke her hip, wrist, and some ribs. She is 73. No one saw her and husband and friends were inside watching a football game and couldn't hear her screaming. She had to drag herself 100' to the front door and hit on it with her pruning shears. I did the same thing when I was about 12. Painting next door neighbors house, missed a step and slung latex paint all over the yard and landed on my head. Nothing hurt of course and I washed down the paint with the hose. I still get up a ladder, walk the roof with a backpack blower.....I shouldn't, I know. Take care of yourself. 1917

·
Registered
93 Posts
I played hard court sports most of my life. My right shoulder (from tennis) and hips have paid the price. Not wanting to give up exercise I have found lap swimming to be perfect for weight control and increased endurance, without any pain. 3x a week, swimming non-stop for 30 minutes, does the trick.

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
Got up on the roof and walked around with a backpack blower on....I was thinking about this thread, and watching my step. Perhaps 70 is too old to be up a ladder and on the roof. I survived this trip though. 1917

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got up on the roof and walked around with a backpack blower on....I was thinking about this thread, and watching my step. Perhaps 70 is too old to be up a ladder and on the roof. I survived this trip though. 1917
I have almost the same issue facing me. A big wind storm last week bent my homemade HDTV antenna to about 45 degrees above the rotor. It has to come down, and getting on the roof is the only way to accomplish is.

but it will be about two months before I feel safe enough to do that. Just have to stick to satellite TV and NetFlix, I guess.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hope you heal well.
My wife broke her right humerus. After surgery she didn't gain use of her right hand for 6 months.
Physical therapy wasn't helping for the first 6 months.
A second surgery was done to check if the radial nerve was being compressed.
After the 2nd surgery and many more months of P/T she gained partial use of her right hand.
It took over 2 yrs for her to get most of her mobility back and about 80% grip strength.

Now, years later arm is doing well but low on stamina. Arm and grip strength is OK but not 100%

Attachments

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
I have almost the same issue facing me. A big wind storm last week bent my homemade HDTV antenna to about 45 degrees above the rotor. It has to come down, and getting on the roof is the only way to accomplish is.

but it will be about two months before I feel safe enough to do that. Just have to stick to satellite TV and NetFlix, I guess.
Stay of the roof Mudbug....I have good bones and am pretty spry....but, our balance isn't what is once was, nor eyesight, and I dang sure don't bounce as well. Take care of that arm.....there are some youngsters around that can fix the antenna. 1917

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hope you heal well.
My wife broke her right humerus. After surgery she didn't gain use of her right hand for 6 months.
Physical therapy wasn't helping for the first 6 months.
A second surgery was done to check if the radial nerve was being compressed.
After the 2nd surgery and many more months of P/T she gained partial use of her right hand.
It took over 2 yrs for her to get most of her mobility back and about 80% grip strength.

Now, years later arm is doing well but low on stamina. Arm and grip strength is OK but not 100%
That's really tough! My surgeon was concerned that something like that was going to happen to me, since he was putting n a LOT of equipment, and any one of them could have interfered with one of the many nerves that could cause complete immobility. I got real lucky. The arm feels pretty good, and PT is going good too. I can feel the arm's muscles regaining their strength.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with you, 1911. Staying off the roof. I have trouble walkng across the back yard without stumbling these days. When the weather warms up, I'll get my grandson and SIL to doo the roof work fo rme.

I asked my doctor last Wednesday if I could start shooting my Walther Creed 9mm. He hesitated, but agreed to let me try it out. I had to promise to give it a fair test.

I loaded the magazine with the 15 rounds, and blazzed away. After about 10 or 11 rounds, I began to really feel the aching on both ends of the rep;alcement hardware. So I just put the CREED away. That was Saturday.

When I went to Phy. Ther. this morning (Monday), I really felt the effects. The arm was much weaker than usual and ached a lot during the pulling and pushing around of the gym equipment.

So the Creed stays in it's case for a couple of months before I try it again.

I hardly feel the P22 or the SW VICTORY 22.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.