Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend seems to have a terrible problem with being able to control the recoil from my 9mm P99. She's about 5'7 and 120 pounds, with a very small frame. Its so bad that she cant fire more than 3 standard velocity rounds without limp wristing it. She doesnt have a problem with the +P rounds, oddly enough, as they're probably so powerful that there is no way to limp wrist the gun.

I know women smaller than her can shoot 9mm fairly well with no problems. Her technique seems to be ok, and she's using both hands. Any advice on how to help her out?

·
Registered
471 Posts
There really are many variables to be considered... The first one that comes to my mind is that the P99 just does not fit her... Don't freak out yet, like I said, there are many possibilities...

After renting and borrowing many firearms, my wife settled on a Sig P228. I never figured her for that one.

The second thing that comes to my well scared and dented head is "hold" and "stance". How is she holding the gun. Many people have a problem with hold and stance. I'd like to have a dollar for the number of people I've seen that hold the pistol completely wrong, like the weak hand thumb over the top of the other one... Also make sure the pistol is deep into the web of her hand... Many people try to hold the pistol way too low on the grip...
Also check stance. If you've ever noticed, most people tend to lean backwards when shooting.
 You would be amazed at how proper stance can effect recoil... Lean in to the gun, spread your feet about shoulder width, with a somewhat sideways stance, weak foot forward, and let the recoil go through your arms (with strong arm elbow slightly bent), through your torso, and into the ground through your back foot. Might even bend the forward knee just a little... (I know, a picture would speak a lot more clearly, sorry about that!) It's better to exaggerate the stance at first to prove to yourself it works, then you can refine it and smooth it out to where it flat looks and feels great!...

Ok, I'm brain dead now... It's a lot easier to show than to type!

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hal8000 @ April 04 2005,10:39)]I'd like to have a dollar for the number of people I've seen that hold the pistol completely wrong, like the weak hand thumb over the top of the other one...
I gotta go against you on this one, Hal. The "right" grip is the one that works for you. I happen to be a "weak thumb on top of strong thumb" guy. Why? Because when I tried it the other way, it felt completely wrong and I couldn't hit the target! I know there's lots of expert opinion on the correct grip, but it all comes down to the individual. I'd say my way is working:

(That's 20 rds from 10 yds into a 2" square)

I do agree that grip and stance might be this lady's problem. My wife is 5'2" and she handles the recoil from my 9mm's just fine. I would definitely start from a "traditional" grip and stance -- but if they aren't working, help her find something that's comfortable for her. My wife did that and she went from missing the target completely to blowing a hole through the center. It's not Rob Leatham text-book, but it works!

Jim

·
Registered
539 Posts
I posted a lengthy reply last night but then my DNS service went out and I couldn't actually submit it

I think the problem is between the ears. Many women underestimate their own strength and need to be reminded of it. You see this all the time in gyms where women are using ludicriously light weights because they have forgotten how to really put some effort into it. I saw this with my wife too. Before taking her out to shoot my .40 I made sure we practiced technique at home. I would test the strength of her stance/grip by grabbing the pistol and trying to move it back/forth. When we got to the range I loaded 1 bullet at a time and had her shoot in standard Isoceles. She put 90% of the rounds through the paper at 7 yards, I was pleased.

I think with the right support and encouragement your wife can find the strength she needs to control that 9mm. My wife is 5'2" with a normal build. She loves cop shows. Maybe that's why she did so well

·
Registered
471 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"weak thumb on top of strong thumb"
Yeah, your right Navy87Guy, I miss spoke... Thanks for catching that!

What I was trying to say was, your weak thumb over the "web" of the strong hand... Hmm, still not quit right.... The weak thumb being in the position to be hit by the slide... Maybe that's better...

Please don't tell me that you shoot it that way, because that can be dangerous...

"I never speak with error, because my words come from the world reference and my thoughts come from the world of abstraction" Kahlil Gibran

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ah...I understand now.
No, my support thumb comes no where near the slide. The pad of my thumb sits right on the knuckle of my firing-hand thumb. I've never had any kind of problem with getting tangled in the slide. I've tried the "standard" grip with both thumbs pointing forward (strong hand on top) but I just can't do it. It really messes up my groups and my aim-- and it's just plain uncomfortable!

Stopping Power -- that target was 20 rounds from my new Steyr M9 from 10 yds. It's a handy little weapon -- it's actually giving my P99 a run for its money on accuracy. When you consider the $250 price tag, it's quite a bargain! Still, all things considered, I still like my walther better.

Jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
All of the original M and S models (9, .40 and .357) have been discontinued. Steyr is now making the A1 model in 9, .357 and .40. It has a redesigned grip, they eliminated the manual safety and added a standard Picatinny rail. It runs around $480-$500 right now.

For the money, the Steyr M9 is hard to touch. As much as I love my P99, I paid more than twice as much and it's not twice as accurate, reliable or comfortable as the M9. (Not that I would trade my P99...I still love it!) If you are ever in the market for a great value in 9mm, I'd highly recommend the Steyr. You can also check out the Steyr Club for more if you're interested (www.steyrclub.com).

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts