Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, A couple of weeks ago I sent my P-99 to S&W for service. It had locked up with a round in the chamber. I just got it back from S&W with a blank sheet of paper. I have no idea if they worked on the gun, or even looked at it. I tried to call them and the only person who might know anything was gone for the day. If this is S&W's new service policy, I'm selling this one. I also noticed that after removing the slide for cleaning, the gun has to be recocked before firing. In other words, the double action trigger pull will not fire the weapon. Is this normal? I'll keep you posted.

Bill

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
That doesn't sound normal. As much as I dislike S&W, my service experience has usually been excellent. A few years ago I purchased a new 9mm Sigma and the firing pin would not ignite the primers. I send it in and it came back with a very smooth trigger and ultra++ reliable. I would hate to see their service be as bad as you described. I think you need to try to ask for service managament and I am sure they will bend over backwards. As you describe, your pistol now has no double action, double strike capabality. I would be worried about safety, and would not fire it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've never had to send in my P99.
I did send in my P22 for warranty work (Walrep, S&W), back in Jan '03, and I had excellent assistance on the phone, FedEx picked up the pistol 30 mins after the call, and S&W provided their account #. I rcvd the P22 back (door to door) in ~6 days, with a clear description of all that was repaired or tested.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bill,
This sounds bad. I hope Walther makes good on it for you. I spoke to a tech named "Larry" when I called about a broken mag floorplate (See post under Bug or Feature). They shipped me out three new ones without question. Great service!
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on P-99 service. I called John @ S&W(didn't return my call). Sent an e-mail to Kate @ S&W. She checked with John and said that the gun was in factory spec. Apparently, someone did check it out. I'll be taking it to the range Monday so I'll find out if it functions O.K. I hope it works and I also hope I never have to send anything to S&W for service again.

There are competent gunsmiths in my area so I think unless it suffers major damage, I'll just pay to have it worked on. I won't say S &W service is bad, but in my experience, it sure ain't great. I'm leaning more and more to the dark side(Glock). There's at least one Glock service rep @ gun shows in my area.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The malfunction you originally described (gun locked up) is a classic symptom of chambering a round which the bullet length or ogive is prematurely engaging the rifling. This happen to me with first generation Speer Gold Dot when I first noticed it. P99 throats are tight and short and you must check ammo in it before using. S&W probably just managed to get the round out and were correct in saying that it was in spec. Problem is with the short throat. I physically check every new round in the chamber to verify that it'll fully chamber before firing.

Tim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agreed.

However, I found my P99 to feed quite well and the problem occured with a P88C. I have a thread someplace on here related to P88 problems.

The overall (OAL) length of the bullet was out of spec. -- Gunshow reloads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts