Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you think of this...?

"Like the H&K USP, it has also been designed to be less expensive to produce than Walther's earlier innovative but arguably over-engineered designs, which cost a small fortune on the US market (although this was largely the fault of Interarms, the former US importer who charged an arm and a leg for them). Prior to the P99, Walther made a pistol called the P88 that was part of the US military pistol trials. This was a superbly-made pistol but it suffered from some serious design flaws. After discontinuing the P88 in 1993, Walther came out with the more conventional P88 Compact, but although it worked well it was just too expensive for most pockets. Consequently, Walther was taken over by Umarex and the markets the P99 is aimed at are the police and civilian markets, unlike the military aspirations of the earlier P88. Unlike H&K's USP though, Walther decided to be more innovative and it shows."

full review http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/walther_p99.htm

I lifted this from a English webpage. I surmise from the info on the page it is for people who want to own guns but have to settle for deactivated models because of their Governments attitude towards guns

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I don't think there was any serious design flaws.....
just the usual German over engineering and the high price.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with uncut, it was mostly the price of the P88 that was it's downfall, it is a very nice pistol to shoot and worthy of anyone who had the money to buy it.
In the mid 80s it was ahead of most pistols in inovation and workmanship.

If there were any serious design flaws it would never have been put into production by Walther.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Agreed... I think the "design flaws" comment is more sour grapes than anything. These are finely engineered handguns and they should be treated as such. This type of precision costs money, as one would expect. My P5, P88 Compact and P7M8 remind me of Mercedes-Benz cars in their heyday - engineered to be the best of their type, without regard to cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts