Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this may sound like a dumb question to some of you, but I'd like to confirm. What is the specific reason why people don't want to disclose the serial number of their gun? Would it be the same reasons why people should cover/erase their license plate of their car before posting a pic of it online?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Under the mistaken belief that someone will tell the authorities it was stolen... Think about. They have to put their name on a police report and falsely report a firearm was stolen... Who is going to be more in trouble? The owner of the piece who has receipts, etc.? Or the idiot who reports it stolen?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Why provide information like that to the world? That's what you're doing when you post photos on a publicly-accessible site. Anyone with an internet connection can see it if they come across it.
All specific reasons aside, I'll say it's better to be safe than sorry, and no one was ever burned by taking the time to obscure a serial number on publicly posted photos of one of their possessions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why provide information like that to the world? That's what you're doing when you post photos on a publicly-accessible site. Anyone with an internet connection can see it if they come across it.
All specific reasons aside, I'll say it's better to be safe than sorry, and no one was ever burned by taking the time to obscure a serial number on publicly posted photos of one of their possessions.
This......

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Unless one lives in a state that mandates firearms registration and/or requires all transfers to be officially recorded, the comfort of obscuring s/ns is more psychological than real.

Unless, of course, you suspect that your gun was at some point stolen.

M

·
Registered
539 Posts
I always thought the practice of blanking out license plates was kinda funny. These same people drive around with their license plates fully exposed on the street for everyone to see.

I've never heard of anyone getting burned by showing their license plate but who knows. If you behave online and no one has a reason to come find you why worry? Crooks who want to steal cars don't go through the trouble of scanning web photos for cars only to find they live 2000 miles away. They patrol parking lots and regular streets.

For a while I was tempted to get a vanity plate but decided it's better to be invisible with a regular plate and no recognizable stickers etc. on the car. I drive like a gentleman but you never know when a little 'invisibility' comes in handy. Plenty of looneys on the street after all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plenty of looneys on the street after all.
Right you are.

Thanks all, I guess that confirms my thoughts.

-Nocturnal-

Funny as it may sound, but lets say if Johnny had a problem with Bobby and Johnny found out Bobby's screen name and by efforts or coincidence ran across Bobby's sn on a forum of some sort that had Bobby's vehicle plate exposed, Johnny could do alittle bit of homework and find out where Bobby lives and might decide to stop by and say hello.

Most all of us subconsciusly think each other lives states away....at least I do. Still a shock to me when I run across someone from my state on a forum that I'm a member of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts