Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1960 Full French PP 7.65

I've read around here regarding magazines with last three digits engraved but didn't find a mention of this...anyone seen this in the past?
Also just for reference I found a veeery faint S/N inside the slide, I'm assuming fairly common on the pre what...65? Guns that had serials on the right side of slide?

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Very nice looking PP. I like the way Interarms stamped the frame instead of the slide. Discreet. I’ll let others speak to your serial numbers questions. Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. It's my first Walther. Now I'm hooked. Started out looking for a PPK but stumbled on this one and took the plunge.
Still looking for a PPK, would love to find a matching full French model of the same vintage.
Know of any?

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
The numbered mags are a new one, or one I've not heard about here. It was common practice with Lugers, at least before the war.
Watching this thread...
Moon
BTW, a Manurhin marked PPK .22 was sighted at a recent gunshow. For the OP, have you found the French marked guns somewhat less expensive?

M

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moon
There are too many variables for me to really form an opinion...ie. Condition, production date, location, etc...on top of that I'm a rookie.

DennisV
Does the pic attached show the Austrian mark? I have read so many posts here in the past weeks that things are getting combined in my brain but I believe I saw it stated here...

jwi4
Well...now I know I'm not alone in this world...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Some of the German police forces stamped their magazines with the last 2 or 3 digits of the PP's serial number. Not sure whether it had anything to do with interchangeability. Maybe it was just for accountability.

Faintly hand-scribed numbers inside the slide were put there at Manurhin or at Walther, and got blued over after final fitting and polishing. This was intended to help keep slide and frame together as a set before serialization and bluing, though occasionally they got scrambled anyway.

M

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No big deal, its just the little weird stuff like this that's fun for me to explore.
I saw on jwi4's PP just now the same faint serial inside the slide, I think his mags show the last three of the serial as opposed to the full serial. Very similar to mine.

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
These serial numbers are typically found on pp/ppk magazines (often Manurhin) used by the Austrian police. Not sure whether these were applied by the manufacturer or by the user.
For administrative purposes, that does make sense.
Moon

·
Registered
964 Posts
That is either a state or cities cartouche identifying the police agency it belonged to not sure of which though , many times they are defaced when surplused off or decommissioned . Ayb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts