Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Questions

Hello,

I am new here, but may be able to help a little.

You mention that it is a "limited edition 2 barrel set."

The P22 has had various special editions and oftentimes they get confused.

There is a "First Edition" that is clearly marked on the slide which was a select production run of 1,000 P22s in 2002. The serial # begins with CO. The first such model would have serial number CO001.

There is a "Limited Edition" that is also clearly marked on the slide that appears to have been sold through distributors such as Davidson's in various years from at least 2002 to 2007 (year stamp on the barrel visible through the ejector port AC to AH). I don't know how limited these actually were since the serial numbers do not appear to be specific to the edition and could never find production data, other than some people confusing it with the First Edition having a limit of a thousand. These were also sold like the First Edition as a set that included both barrels and had serial numbers beginning with "N" (the serial number format for 5" barrel P22s prior to sometime in 2011).

There are also limited or special edition styles based on color, finish, etc., but none of those have unique serial numbers or are marked on the slide in any special way.

There is a very rare target P22 that I believe was produced in 2002 (2003?) but I don't know how that was marked or serialized.

Other than that, serial numbers began with a "Z" with the introduction of the P22Q for part of 2011 (BB) and 2012 (BC); thereafter, I believe all P22Q and P22QD serial numbers begin with WA, presumably for Walther Arms coinciding with Walther Arms taking over US distribution and sales from Smith & Wesson in 2012.

Hopefully I got all of that close to right, otherwise someone more knowledgeable will correct me.

With that background, what is the exact serial number of your P22 including letters? Is it marked on the slide as to edition (First or Limited)? Pics might help as well, especially if it is something different than described above since we can see the proof marks and other stamping.

Since the P22 is not really a collector or heirloom gun, there really hasn't been much of a price premium on any of the First or Limited Edition sets. However, if you have CO001 then it might carry a premium as the first and worst P22 every made.

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
I remember those. Bigger case, extra barrel (+$100 worth ) and other than the printing on the side of slide "limited edition" it is a P22. The limited was the kit and nothing special about the pistol. Arguably the P22 has been improved over the years and a new one is around $230. Extra barrel, $100 +/-. I have no idea what the serial number might add to the price...perhaps Umarex would like to have it back for their museum in Arnsburg. 1917

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear that [email protected] and please don't go to any trouble to take the pics. You can just confirm the following information:

On the receiver/polymer housing, is the full serial # CO0001 or something else?

On the right side of the slide, is it stamped Smith & Wesson, Springfield, MA CO001 of 1000 or something else? If so, you should also see Cal. .22lr stamped on the barrel visible through the ejection port right under the proof mark (3 crowns in a shield which just means it was proofed at the Umarex plant in Arnsberg, Germany).

On the opposite side of the slide, is it marked, "First Edition" or something else like "Limited Edition"?

Based on the above info, we should have a pretty good idea of the exact P22 and what the other markings are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's a pretty good first post Dave. 1917
Thank you 1917. I have been lurking here for a while and it was your P22 Bible that turned my P22 from scrap metal into my favorite plinker. I have also been very curious about the history of the P22, so have tried to research it as much as possible.

·
Registered
9,834 Posts

This is a limited edition and I think the limited had to do with the case and the two barrel lengths. Of course the printed Limited Editionon the left side of the slide. These are the original P99 themed design pistols. Way back there these pistols cost $370 or so with $100+ for an extra barrel. So you were probably looking at a kit that sold for $450 to $500. Some photos show them tricked out with lazers, the bridge rail for a red dot or aimpoint scope. Nearly all of these pistol parts will exchange with the latest pistols...exception..the larger diameter guide rod head on the captive recoil spring assembly. And that one will work if you drill the guide rod hole out to 1/4". These were probably the highest prices kits back in the day and to have #1 adds....I still don't know what. I'm assuming the SN relates to this particular line and is not the first P22 ever produced. The year of manufacture will be printed on the right side of the frame as viewed through the ejection port. AB, AC, AD, etc. Back in that era Walther also included a dated and signed envelope with a spent case inside. That gets you to as close to the actual production date that I know of. 1917

·
Registered
6 Posts
The link is for First Edition 448 of 1000:

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...-Set-Sn-co44x-Of-1000/lotInformation/42765543

Note that the gun slide on the left is marked "First Edition" and the right side is marked with the serial number CO448 and the slide is marked as "CO448 of 1000"

Unlike the standard and Special Edition, there is no year code on the barrel. Instead the caliber is stamped on the barrel.

Also, these First Editions appear to have been inspected by a different tech than others produced. 1911, you would be better able to confirm that but all the First editions appear to have been signed by "Collector Tech Monica Mueller."

The earliest I could find is CO055, but all of these First Editions are marked the same way.

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
The OP is asking about a "limited addition" package. How that might differ from a "first addition" setup is unknown to me. Both were for marketing purposes as far as I can tell. So, we have a pistol package that retailed for $800 back in 2014 and this one remains unfired except at the factory and with the first serial number of the lot. So what is it worth? What ever someone will pay obviously but what should Campgb ask should he be wanting to sell or insure it? 1917

·
Registered
9,834 Posts

Above is the Limited Edition package the OP is asking about. Not the First Edition although I'm not sure the difference. Marketing only I expect. Every P22 I've seen has a two letter date code on the right side of the frame as viewed through the ejection port of the slide. AC would be a 2002 pistol but that is not the one that is the subject of this thread. Did either package come with additional goodies other than two barrels such as aimpoint scope and bridge mount or lazers?

I can't place a value on #1 of this subset. OK, 1,000 bucks U.S. :cool: 1917

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
Yep, that looks like one. I notice you have the very early mag (s?), the ones with no stagger slot. Those did not feed well and were shortly replaced with blued or stainless mags with a stagger slot. I'm not sure what the C stands for at the beginning of the SN. Must be the designation of the package. Back then pistol had and L or N in front of the SN. I think the L was for the 5" pistol but I might have that backwards. 15 years ago or more. The pistol has the trigger lock and should have a key for it. I have several laying around. It also has the early pointed hammer that was prone to hanging up the slide. It will have the square extractor that allows spent cases to fly everywhere but I'd really be interested in seeing the trigger bar ears to see if they are the molded ones or the sharp stamped steel ones. 1917

·
Registered
6 Posts
1911, that's what I was trying to explain regarding First Edition vs. Special Edition. All 1,000 First Editions begin with "C" and are the first 1,000 P22 distributed in the US. It is not just the package but stamped on the gun twice. There is no date code on the barrel, but all of the 1,000 First Editions were produced in 2002. The L (3.4") and N (5") is used for the Special Edition models, as well as the regular first generation P22s.

This particular P22 is apparently the very first P22 distributed by Smith & Wesson in the US.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
There is no date code on the barrel, but all of the 1,000 First Editions were produced in 2002.
The date code on these First Edition models can be found on the frame:

It's impossible though to recognize the date code on the photo showing the OP's gun in post #14, but I'm quite sure that there is a date code too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Balogh. 1911 had previously posted it was there on these, but I never could see it in the images until your call out.

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
Well, for the history of it all I would like to ask Camp to pull the slide and put up a few good photos of #1. Trigger bar ears, date if present on the frame....2002 would be AC...it has the original hammer, original extractor, trigger block safety, etc. I'm betting the molded trigger bar ears as well....which is what the pistol needed but was soon dropped in favor or the cheaper stamped trigger bar. Also shown are the original mags with no stagger slot. These did not feed well and were soon replaced. Photos, photos, photos.....please. 1917

1 - 20 of 24 Posts