Walther Forums banner

Do we need a new PPQ fourm?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get everyone's feedback to see if y'all thought there would be enough traffic on the new PPQ to justify its own section.

·
Registered
858 Posts
i want walther as a company/make to remain strong and live forever.while the PPQ for me is absolutely no replacement for the p99 AS,if some who would prefer it can come here and get information to help them decide to buy one,then i'm all for it.

if it becomes popular it would also help to not dilute the p99 section and help people realize it's a separate model.

i state this with a little trepidation as i hope walther understands the p99 AS must remain in production as it is the best polymer pistol out there for many reasons and with the best "out of the box" DA/SA trigger for a service pistol short of "trigger job" or a competition type.

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
I voted no but wouldn't have a big issue with it having it's own section. At the end of the day it like the DAO and QA before it, is nothing more than a molestation of the original version or AS in an attempt to get more buyers. Like both of the aforementioned models, there will be a few who claim to prefer it but it'll flop.

Ideally, have a section for the real P99 and another for the BS varients to appease silly LEO contract regs and such. Like HK, the gun can be had with a good factory trigger or some factory monstrosity.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I voted "P99/PPQ". To me the PPQ looks a lot like this Turkish P99 clone. That's ironic because in an earlier thread somebody speculated that this gun might be a prototype for a new version of the P99... :D

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I voted "P99/PPQ". To me the PPQ looks a lot like this Turkish P99 clone. That's ironic because in an earlier thread somebody speculated that this gun might be a prototype for a new version of the P99... :D

I like the way that looks better than the PPQ :)

But, back to the task at hand - I say, give it its own section!

I still believe that they may eventually discontinue the normal P99

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Seems to me that the PPQ is basically a P99 QA with a (purportedly) better trigger and some cosmetic changes, so I don't see why it needs a whole new section of the forum. Renaming the current one should do the trick.

On a side note, does anyone else think that potential model names of future versions of the PPQ could be hilarious? (PPQc AS, anyone?)

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
I like the way that looks better than the PPQ :)

But, back to the task at hand - I say, give it its own section!

I still believe that they may eventually discontinue the normal P99
Anything is possible. After seeing the mess they made of the PPS and this latest PPQ POS, nothing would surprise me. Probably some air gun retard from Umarex giving them "expert" corporate advice.

I'll buy up some used AS models to add to my three if they do that. I have no corporate alliance to Walther; my allegiance is to good product. Make a POS and I take my business elsewhere. The sad part is they could do good engineering and focus on improvement but instead they want to think like the others and build garbage. Want to sell me some new product? Easy, make them lighter, How about a 3.5” C front end with a full size grip? What about a long slide for competition? How about a 9mm PPS in a light weight with an AS trigger? How about a .22LR factory conversion kit?

No, they’d rather waste time with garbage like this. Others are licensing the original AS concept now and it is finally getting the exposure it deserves. Nobody has licensed the QA or DAO and nobody will license this PPQ POS I’ll wager. Walther reps don’t get it. And people wonder why businesses go under?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Anything is possible. After seeing the mess they made of the PPS and this latest PPQ POS, nothing would surprise me. Probably some air gun retard from Umarex giving them "expert" corporate advice. ... Walther reps don’t get it. And people wonder why businesses go under?
Hey, jl: Don't sugarcoat it like that, man -- tell us what you really mean. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
merge

To me the PPQ is just the next version of the P99 QA (hence the name, even). No need to spin off the discussion. At least not yet.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
To me the PPQ is just the next version of the P99 QA (hence the name, even). No need to spin off the discussion. At least not yet.
That's how I voted, but I'm not adamant about it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, guys. It looks like the trend is toward consolidating the new model under the P99 forum. As of today, there are 16 votes for its own section, and 29 combined for incorporating it into the present section.

The trick is that the longer we wait, the more posts there will be about it, and the harder it will be to find and move them to their own forum if we ever decide to do so.

However, on a side note, I'm personally very disappointed that they decided to take one of the most unique guns I've ever shot and turn it into a Glock. I hate that Glock trigger, always have, and always will. What a shame. I've always said of the P99 that it was the gun that Glock wanted to be when it grew up. Now they're blurring the lines and with this model, they completely lost me as a customer for that model at least.

Let's give it another couple weeks and see what folks think. Thanks for your input.

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
I think you'd get a different answer if it was just asked yes or no instead of "Yes, it's sure to be a hit and draw a lot of posts" I laughed at that as I expect a massive flop. It'll be better than the QA to shoot I expect but now it won't be confused for the "P99" and I've met a few folks who bought a QA not knowing what the difference was.

I voted no but I am open to it having its own section. Why not start a section for PPQ and non AS P99 versions? That way the non AS guys can talk about all the fixes they need to make and we can blush over how great ours are.:p

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Ok, guys. It looks like the trend is toward consolidating the new model under the P99 forum. As of today, there are 16 votes for its own section, and 29 combined for incorporating it into the present section.
Well, I think the last 2 choices are misleading if you combine options 2 and 3 into a total...

There really should only be 2 choices. Yes or no. Then, if it is no, it's obvious that you'd likely need top call the current subforum P99/PPQ... Due to new people joining with the new gun and maybe not realizing that the P99 was the prev version...

Just my opinion....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I voted for PPQ to have its own section. I have P99 AS and P99c AS and no aspirations to get PPQ. Therefore, it would be better and easier for me that PPQ be a discrete section so I do not have to wade through PPQ posts that do not interest me. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
The PPQ will be a different pistol in every way. Nothing will interchange between the two pistols other than the 17 round mags, right? So give it it's own section. The P99 probably has as much in common with the P88 as the PPQ. Other than the material of the frame, what is similar or interchangeable?

I don't understand the "hate" of this new pistol than nobody here has held in their hand, or shot. What if this pistol feels better than your current favorite pistol? What if it shoots better than your current favorite pistol? Will you give it a chance then, or not?

Personally, I am looking forward to try this pistol out, especially this new trigger that has a 10mm total trigger travel with a 2.5mm reset. My 1st gen 9mm P99, which was my most accurate and favorite pistol for years, doesn't seem to be getting jealous. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
I don't think it's so much a "hate" thing as it is a wonderment as to who is Walther marketing this thing, and what the heck is their strategy? 'Cause it certainly doesn't seem to be making any sense if they're once again going after the Glock market with a price that is still too high to be competitive. They already tried that once with the QA, and there's no reason to believe this second go will be any more successful than the first.

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
I don't think it's so much a "hate" thing as it is a wonderment as to who is Walther marketing this thing, and what the heck is their strategy? 'Cause it certainly doesn't seem to be making any sense if they're once again going after the Glock market with a price that is still too high to be competitive. They already tried that once with the QA, and there's no reason to believe this second go will be any more successful than the first.
+1, I think we just get mad at the fact that Walther does nothing to market what are IMHO the best overall mid size and compact pistols on the market (P99AS and P99cAS) but they spend resources and energy playing the "me too" game. The grip of the PPQ might be an improvment and the mil spec rail is nice but the rest of it... :rolleyes:

I do think it will do better than the QA did since a lot of people praise the ergos of the P99 and for those that want a "me too" trigger, this can't be worse than the QA.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts