Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to this group and have a question regarding the PPK/S and the light SA trigger action.
Question is: Can this be modified to be a little heavier in pull?

Reason is: I have a new S&W made PPK/S and when I transition from the first DA shot to the following SA shot the trigger seems extremely light. I have actually fired unintentionally a couple of times (still on target, but soner than intended) and I think this light pull was one of the reasons.
Maybe I need to shoot it more? I usually shoot it along with my Kahr T9 which is DAO in 9mm.

Also, and maybe this is just me, it seems that if I fire the first round SA, I don't have that problem.

Anyhow, the way it's (I'm?) shooting, I would not use it as a carry piece.

Thanks, Glen

·
Registered
83 Posts
A gun having a heavier trigger pull on DA rather than SA is just the nature of the beast. As you found out since you are used to firing a gun that is DAO.

In SA you're not pulling the hammer back to it's battery position, you'r only moving the sear far enough out of the way to clear the notch on the hammer allowing it to fall.

With DA and DAO your pull of the trigger is also pulling the hammer back from it's resting position to battery and compressing the heavy hammer spring which is already compressed in a round beign fired SA, or compressing the firing pin spring to do the same.

So yea, it's normal. Now if you have a PPK(/S) with a trigger pull under a pound...then it could be the result of someone giving it a backyard/garage trigger job and not knowing what they're doing.

I have competition semi-autos that have SA pulls as light as 2 3/4 lbs. but that's as light as I'll have one. Remember, that's for competition not personal defense! Having a light trigger pull on a defense gun is just asking for trouble in more ways than one, you might as well hand your life over to the prosecuting attorney to with as he/she will.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom.
I am aware of the mechanical differences between SA and DA and DAO triggers. My PPK/S is brand new. I've fired less than 150 rnds through it so far and at least once per session I've touched off the 1st SA shot prematurely. Again, this is shooting it along side other guns I have.

Last night I compared the SA trigger pull to my other guns which can be fired SA,(Ruger Single-Six, Ruger MKII, Beretta 3032 and M21A, Ruger GP100 and Taurus 941), and I'm beginning the think the problem is mostly mine. With the exception of the GP100 and the Taurus, all the other actions felt about as light or lighter (MKII) than the PPK/S.
Also the PPK/S has a touch small trigger guard than I'm used to.
Though I wouldn't mind a little weightier pull, I think I need to shoot it more and get accustomed to the feel.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just practice Its the nature of a DA/SA auto. Want a big suprise shoot a DA/SA for several months the pick up a locked and cocked 1911. I touched the trigged and it went off.I know that wasn't the case as my Colt is a little over 4lbs But the light lbs and the very short trigger travel . So I practice with both each time I shoot now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update. I shot about 50 rnds yesterday using only the PPK/s and paying close attention to my trigger finger placement. Not a single problem, shooting DA to SA, or SA alone. I think michael t says it...just practice!
Of course with 8 guns I wanna shoot 'em ALL whenever I get the chance, but I KNOW I should focus on one piece at a time...well okay 2 at most.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts