Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sending my old "AK" PPS to S&W to have issues found in forums addressed. Advice?.

Hi,
I have an old PPS with date code AK that I bought new. I really like it but I have often had the slide not completely return to battery (by about 1/8th inch) and have to push the slide forward into place before it will fire. On top of that I have been following these forums for a few years and have really lost faith in the gun as a carry weapon. I am now ready to send it to S&W for updates/repairs to address all the issues. I have never sent a gun for repair and I'd like to get everything addressed. Does anyone have any advice on what I should put in the letter when I send the gun in to make sure I get all of the fixes?

So far I know I want:
1. The newer slide stop with the tab to hold the spring.
2. The slide return issue fixed (I am not familiar enough with guns to know what needs to be fixed/replaced to fix this)

Is there anything else I should have done?

Thanks for your help,
Tony

·
Registered
693 Posts
If your only issue has been the return to battery issue, you're actually probably not in too bad of shape. That last 1/8" is where the slide interacts with the disconnector, so there's probably where the problem is.

So lets start with this: How many rounds have been through it in the 3 years that you've owned it? How often do you clean it (specifically how clean is your disconnector)? Have you tried lubricating any of these areas?

I'd say if you have a high round count, it could be your recoil spring is worn down and doesn't have the strength to pull the slide past the disconnector. Low round count could just be part of break-in as well as an excess of build-up and a lack of lubrication.

But that wasn't really your question, which is easy. You already pretty much have all the info they'd need with "I need the new slide stop" and "I'm having Return to Battery malfunctions", they can take it from there, I'm sure.

I hope you get to regain your faith in Walther! Otherwise, the S&W Shield is a very similar pistol and you may find peace with that instead.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
It has had about 800 - 1,000 rounds through it. I clean it every time I shoot it and lubricate it just like it says to in the manual. I have only ever lubricated according to what is in the manual. I didn't want to take the chance of gumming things up by not following the rules. The gun is very clean. As for the disconnecter specifically I will check.

I am already getting faith back in my Walther now that it seems issues have been fixed and people are now often praising the PPS. I just want to get mine to the same level of reliability.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is where I wish there was a better availability of parts. If it is a recoils spring issue then the fix would be so easy and if sucks you have to send it to the factory for replacement.

·
Registered
693 Posts
You can send for a GR/RSA if you want, it's just going to set you back $42. Sending the entire thing in usually means a free one... and that a gunsmith will put a couple mags through it after installation to see if that was in fact the problem.

I sent my P99 to S&W for a replacement Striker Assembly and the whole process was relatively painless, and didn't cost a cent. They gave me an estimate of a month and a half, it took about two weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to send it to S&W for them to evaluate and fix. I wouldn't try anything on it myself. I know how to use the gun, take it apart and clean it. That's about it. I'll leave any fixes or updates to the pros. That would be great if they replaced the parts for free! When I called them about it they said it would cost about $100 but that is in no way an official quote. Plus FedEx Priority Overnight shipping both ways could cost almost $100 on it's own. :-/ If it gets too costly I'll have been better off buying a new one.

Thanks for the info,
Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts