Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been turning over my guns faster than a hooker can turn tricks.

Let’s see.....

Sold or am selling.....(all should be sold by the weekend)

- Ruger 1911
- Model 60
- Uberti 1873 in 45 LC and 44 Mag
- 22 SA Revolver
- Ruger 22/45 (tricked out)
- Bersa BP9
- Bersa Thunder
- Marlin 60 rifle
- Charter Arms Bulldog

Purchased:
- Sig 365 SAS
- Sig P210 Target
- Volquartsen Scorpion
- Shadow 2 (CGW)

Anyone else go through this? 🙂

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of people say that 🙂

I don’t get attached. If I am not shooting it, it goes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
More than 20 years (1976 until 1998) I have collected Mauser military rifles. The beginning was an inheritance of 10 rifles from an uncle. In the end there were 30 pieces, including rare Serbian, Turkish and rifles of the Boers in South Africa. But then I lost interest and sold the whole collection to an arms dealer for an excellent profit. It was also because suddenly you needed several heavy weapon safes for such a collection in Germany and their purchase was much too complicated and cumbersome for me. Because of the very good profit, I have never regretted the sale. That's why I understand WaterDR well.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Not me. I really like the firearms I own and chose them very carefully and while I don't shoot them all regularly I shoot them all at least occasionally. I don't need the space (I don't have that many anyhow) or cash so they stay. Some like my German made/proofed classic P series SIGs would be pretty difficult to replace with like condition ones. One exception though is I might sell my mid 1970s vintage Ruger Standard pistol as I don't see myself shooting it possibly at all anymore since purchasing a Browning Buckmark recently which works better for me.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Not me. I really like the firearms I own and chose them very carefully and while I don't shoot them all regularly I shoot them all at least occasionally.
This sums up my feelings exactly. I've only ever sold two guns and both times were because I was able to upgrade to a better example.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Looks to me like some nice upgrades in weapons.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
It currently seems to be a sellers market for the Classic German firearms I'm interested in purchasing. Prices were lower last year.

I've sold 3 guns in my entire life, a Ruger P89 (owned for a few months before Bill R opened his big/fat mouth AGREEING with mag limits on pistols, it HAD to go), a Beretta 92FS that was purchased shortly after adoption by the US military (miss that one, was carried in the NE for years), and a P227 that was my EDC before the PPQ45 (a good friend wanted it and made a fair offer).

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a few things going for me....

- I don’t want to be a collector

- I don’t own any guns that are really investment grade.

- I know what I like and what I enjoy

- I can get “deals” on guns that regular people can’t get. For example, I paid $850 for a Sig P210 Target. And I have been using money from guns sold to upgrade with these types of deals

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
A buddy had an epiphany at a gunshow...buy an interesting gun, even if it isn't really something you were looking for.
I make a distinction between guns that are interesting and guns that might actually get carried.
Moon

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to be a “user” and not a collector. I don’t mind have guns....just stuff I enjoy shooting regularly.

I am down to one carry gun.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Let’s see.....

I'm curious how you are selling off your guns. Are you using a consignor, an auction site, or ????

I've been a buyer and not a seller for years and unsure of how to start selling off those I no longer need.

I've acquired a couple dozen 9mm and .40S&W Gen3 S&W pistols. I have doubles of some models and need to thin my accumulation.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
The long and the short, unless you have something especially desirable, is that you will get wholesale for your gun.
Trade it? Dealer will give you wholesale.
Consign it to a dealer? 'Till the dealer takes his cut, wholesale.
Consign it on Gunbroker? See above.
If you've had it long enough for the value to increase? You'll still get current wholesale.
If you have a buddy who wants it, you're better served, tho' you'll want to give him a break.
Moon

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Let’s see.....

I'm curious how you are selling off your guns. Are you using a consignor, an auction site, or ????

I've been a buyer and not a seller for years and unsure of how to start selling off those I no longer need.

I've acquired a couple dozen 9mm and .40S&W Gen3 S&W pistols. I have doubles of some models and need to thin my accumulation.
It’s been simple actually. I won’t use GB or any web sites. Don’t want or need the hassle.

My consignment fee is just 10% is I sell at the LGS.

Most have been sold to people I know or connections of theirs.

For every guy selling, there are a few hoarders looking to buy.

I get good money if I consign. May take a little longer. Other guns I have sold in small “lots”. You know, one guy buys 3 or 4.

A few I have sold for more than I paid for them.

The cheaper guns are the easiest to sell and not lose money on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've traded a Glock 23 and a Hi Point C9 for a Model 29-2 in really great condition and otherwise I've just sold to friends a 92FS and a 1911 which neither I shot well

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I’ve sold a few to folks on this forum, otherwise I consign at my LGS because it gets it out of my safe, and they have lots of eyes looking. Priced right, some will sell quickly. Then something like a P5 or P6 is in a price range that only somebody ‘looking’ for that is willing to pay. Everyone else scoffs at an 8 round single stack that weighs twice as much as their new P365.

And that’s because they don’t know what they are missing!

I’m whittling the herd down too and will be listing up a few more Walthers on here soon. I’m no longer in the “why have one when you can have three mode.” Two maybe...but not three! ;)

Reactions: spin40

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I’ve sold a few to folks on this forum, otherwise I consign at my LGS because it gets it out of my safe, and they have lots of eyes looking. Priced right, some will sell quickly. Then something like a P5 or P6 is in a price range that only somebody ‘looking’ for that is willing to pay. Everyone else scoffs at an 8 round single stack that weighs twice as much as their new P365.

And that’s because they don’t know what they are missing!

I’m whittling the herd down too and will be listing up a few more Walthers on here soon. I’m no longer in the “why have one when you can have three mode.” Two maybe...but not three! ;)

There is usually one gun that each individual "collector" personally find irresistible.

Mine is the P5.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts