Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ammo To Go had a sale on some S&B range safe last week (might still be going on). I picked up the case of ammo and got out to shoot it this weekend. Yesterday I only brought the gun and 50 rounds of it with me to my range...no tools...see where this is going. On the last round of the mag I had a failure to extract. Case was jammed in there pretty good. I eventually got it out (when I got home) by racking the slide pretty damn hard (it slipped over the case lip a few times). I was hoping it was just a bad round. So I went back today with some more ammo (and some tools this time). I grabbed 50 rounds of WWB as well as a fixed variable. So I began with shooting the S&B stuff and had a FTE on the 3rd, 6th, 8th and 13th shots (got sick of it and stopped at 13). So I loaded up the WWB and it shot just fine. I also shot of a mag of Corbon DPX that worked fine as well. Looking at the cases it seems as if the S&B is rather burred up as well. I don't know if anybody else has similar experience but I'm taking a guess that it's the ammo and not the gun (the gun has fed everything else just fine, WWB, PMC, Blazer Brass).

·
Registered
58 Posts
what size was this? and what grain?

I've used S&B for 32acp, 9mm's, 40's without any problem.

Their 45's is kinda junky at times. When it works it works great, but when I open a crappy box, suddenly the rounds miss the paper completely!

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
So Ammo To Go had a sale on some S&B range safe last week (might still be going on). I picked up the case of ammo and got out to shoot it this weekend. Yesterday I only brought the gun and 50 rounds of it with me to my range...no tools...see where this is going. On the last round of the mag I had a failure to extract. Case was jammed in there pretty good. I eventually got it out (when I got home) by racking the slide pretty damn hard (it slipped over the case lip a few times). I was hoping it was just a bad round. So I went back today with some more ammo (and some tools this time). I grabbed 50 rounds of WWB as well as a fixed variable. So I began with shooting the S&B stuff and had a FTE on the 3rd, 6th, 8th and 13th shots (got sick of it and stopped at 13). So I loaded up the WWB and it shot just fine. I also shot of a mag of Corbon DPX that worked fine as well. Looking at the cases it seems as if the S&B is rather burred up as well. I don't know if anybody else has similar experience but I'm taking a guess that it's the ammo and not the gun (the gun has fed everything else just fine, WWB, PMC, Blazer Brass).
Seems to me that we have had similar posts in the past with the very issue.
Here's a thread that was started by Deputy sometime back that might be of some help:

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5945&highlight=s&b+ammo+funk

Among other things, this demonstrates the peril of what can happen when you buy a case of otherwise untested ammo -- and I'll wager that it has happened to all of us, me included. :eek: Recommendations are great, but they are no substitute for simple trial-and-error. What works for you might not work for me, and what works for one gun might not work at all for another of the same model and even the same year of manufacture. I generally experiment with a box of 50 before moving ahead. Even then, I don't often buy a case of anything anymore. I've given away more than a handful of this and that through the years, usually to friendly fellow range-rats. It's tough to offer for sale boxes of ammo that won't cycle through your favorite pistol. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've gone through a box of 50 S&B before, this time I bought the case because I went through the box fine.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I've gone through a box of 50 S&B before, this time I bought the case because I went through the box fine.
It's odd that you would experience such a dichotomy from one box to another, although it appears that ruey220 ran into the same issue. You wouldn't think that such a difference could present itself from lot to lot, especially with the care that most companies take to ensure both quality and consistency these days. On the other hand, a quick scan easily generates quite a few hits on S&B ammo problems. Here's one from the Firing Line Forum:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-234471.html

Here's another from the High Road Forum:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-2329.html

It's true that you can generate the same kind of comments from most every brand of ammo (and firearm) on the market today; one man's treasure is another man's junk, after all. But this brand does tend to bring out a lot of bad experiences. The bottom line is likely Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a P99 in .40. I shoot WWB all the time, and some S&B as well. I never had a problem with the S&B and it is much more acurate than WWB from Wally world. My firearm will shoot ANYTHING but it seems to like Blazer Brass the best. I shoot the tightes groups with it anyway.:)

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I would stick with Blazer Brass. I have never had a problem with it. It is cleaner than WWB or Remington and a little hotter too. It's good stuff. I use it in 9mm and .45.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I have never had a problem with S&B ammo; have put a few thousand rounds of it through my P99. I think it is cleaner and more accurate than wwb.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Try it in another gun; it may function perfectly well in a different chamber.

In any case, after an incident of this nature, it's a good idea to thoroughly scrub and inspect the chamber under strong light.

M

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Deja Vu (all over again?)
I mentioned this in a couple other threads.
I bought 1000 rounds of this stuff over the internet from AIM. I noticed my fingers getting black from loading magazines (P99 9mm). Then I started getting the failures-to-extract including one that needed to be punched out from the muzzle. Close examination of the case showed it to be scorched. The Chamber also had a of residue that was hard to clean out. After that I began wiping down the individual rounds before loading and the problems decreased. I finally finished the last of it last week. :eek:

Russell

·
Registered
358 Posts
I never really tell this story, but a HK USP compact, and my buddies Full size USP were both downed by S&B ammo from a range. Failure to extract much like you. Needless to say the ammo was never shot again and everything ran fine.

Try Georgia Arms they are good good stuff for the price.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Never tried S&B ammo in anything except a Makarov and it worked fine, but I have also heard a lot of S&B horror stories. Maybe the word will eventually get out and S&B will be forced to improve their quality control. In today's computer driven, precision oriented world, there's no excuse for sub-standard performance from any product... It's just too darn easy to do it right! IMO

·
Registered
58 Posts
Never tried S&B ammo in anything except a Makarov and it worked fine, but I have also heard a lot of S&B horror stories. Maybe the word will eventually get out and S&B will be forced to improve their quality control. In today's computer driven, precision oriented world, there's no excuse for sub-standard performance from any product... It's just too darn easy to do it right! IMO
i was hoping the word would get to S&B but when i read their profile it says they were since the 1800's and usually companies like that care less about improvements if people are buying it as is.

I still think they're better than what I've heard about WOlff, if people buy the fox, i don't see why S&B wouldn't sell. I'd use S&B any day over the things I've heard about Wolf. I was so scared to even put a round of Wolf in my pistols after the things i heard.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Fellas, when you factor in all the headaches encountered with offshore bargain-basement ammo, the savings aren't worth it. You won't hear many such complaints about reputable U.S.-made ammo of known quality. My own favorite, Federal American Eagle, is a good, consistent, trouble-free generic-grade ammo that is practically an industry standard testing round. Generally speaking, if a gun won't work with AE, there's something wrong with the gun.

·
Registered
910 Posts
S&B is famous for hard primers = light strikes. I never buy the stuff anymore.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
A little clarification is in order....Sellier and Bellot "Range Safe" ammo is copper washed steel cased ammo. Most places that sell it advertise it as "blasting ammo". Now that alone should give you a hint about it's quality. I have been using S&B REGULAR ammo for many years and have never had any problems with it. The 9MM and .45ACP I used was some of the cleanest burning ammo I have EVER used. In a Glock 17 after 100 rounds I could hardly tell I had been to the range. It is boxer primed and brass cased.

When you buy the GOOD S&B ammo it should come in a box that looks like this:

S&B Range Safe ammo is Berdan primed and steel cased. If you buy that stuff it's the same thing as Wolf ammo...which is probably what it is made to comptete with. Ammo is like anything else...you get what you pay for. ;)

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
58 Posts

S&B Range Safe ammo is Berdan primed and steel cased. If you buy that stuff it's the same thing as Wolf ammo...which is probably what it is made to comptete with. Ammo is like anything else...you get what you pay for. ;)

Dep
dep,

i have the same looking boxes, i get from natchez or outdoormarksman, etc. i was fine with the 9mm but the 45 maybe because it's a much heavier round and they don't really pack much powder since it's cheap and because there may be a weight differential, it's never consistent. i found the smaller their size is the better their rounds are. It's the best 32acp round i've shot to date. the 45 i had the most jams even with high end 1911's and top of the line H&K's.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A little clarification is in order....Sellier and Bellot "Range Safe" ammo is copper washed steel cased ammo. Most places that sell it advertise it as "blasting ammo". Now that alone should give you a hint about it's quality. I have been using S&B REGULAR ammo for many years and have never had any problems with it. The 9MM and .45ACP I used was some of the cleanest burning ammo I have EVER used. In a Glock 17 after 100 rounds I could hardly tell I had been to the range. It is boxer primed and brass cased.

Dep
I did not know this. Thank you for the clarification.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
ruey: What barrel length was the .45 you used with S&B ammo? Only thing I shot it out of was a 5 inch barrel 1911. It's possible thhat the barrel length is affecting performance. Just guessing here. I use S&B mainly as "test ammo" for my guns because it burns so clean in them. Accuracy was acceptable but never spectacular. And definitely some guns have specific ammo preferences. When I used WWB in my PPK it was pretty funky stuff, but it was reliable.
I have some Federal semi-wadcutter FMJ that refuses to work at all in a S&W 457S, but works fine in the S&W 1911s. Yet the 457S swallows hollowpoints with no problems. I'll have to pick up some S&B .32 auto and try it in the PPK. Thanks for the heads-up! :D

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 28 Posts