Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sig 228 that I love but it is a bit hefty for daily carry.

Last month, I bought a Kahr PM9 for ultra-portability and actually like it very much to the point where I will no longer carry the Sig.

This leads me to selling it. I have always been drawn to the Walther's because of the Bond allure but after holding one, I can say that nothing fits better in my hand; even better than my Sig.

Anyone made the switch and been happy or unhappy?

Any input would be welcomed.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You'll nearly always lose money in a trade.

I'd say keep it and save up some moolah to buy yourself that P99. It might take some time, but will be worth it in the end.

-stunks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have owned a vaiety of Sigs, including the 228, 220, 225 and have had occassions to test fire other sig models; for both how comfortable they are in the hand as well as how nice the general 'shootability' of it is, I would recommend defintely going with the P99. If you have to get rid of one before getting the other, even if it means losing on the trade, think most people would be happy with the P99, just a great psitol and more enjoyable to shoot than the sigs I have had. Even though the P99 is probably considered full size, still makes for a comfy concealed carry becasue of the smooth contours enabling you to have a comfortable carry psitol that holds 17 rounds in there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have owned a vaiety of Sigs, including the 228, 220, 225 and have had occassions to test fire other sig models; for both how comfortable they are in the hand as well as how nice the general 'shootability' of it is, I would recommend defintely going with the P99. If you have to get rid of one before getting the other, even if it means losing on the trade, think most people would be happy with the P99, just a great psitol and more enjoyable to shoot than the sigs I have had. Even though the P99 is probably considered full size, still makes for a comfy concealed carry becasue of the smooth contours enabling you to have a comfortable carry psitol that holds 17 rounds in there. Perhaps another option for you might be the P99C, just purchased one and can highly recommend; as accurate as the P99, only down side I see is 11 rounds versus 17.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not that worried about losing money because I have a gun for protection and not for investment purposes.

I am leaning towards a compact P99, not sure what trigger options I can get. I was a strict da/sa person but after getting my PM9, I am kinda fond of DAO. The trigger on the PM9 is quite nice.

How does the P99 trigger compare to the Sig?

If the compact P99 is small enough and to my liking, I would sell the Sig in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well, it isn't just losing money in a trade, its the fact that you start with one gun, then you end up with one gun. No quantity is gained...

Wouldn't it be nice to have two, or more guns? Especially when one of them is a Sig. I say, you've got one that works. Save up a bit, and get another, then you've got two!

-stunks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have both the P99 and P99C and can say that the trigger/action on my two P99s is far better than any of the sigs I have owned, the P99 is smoother and more predictable, pressure does not 'stack up' or get to a harder section of the pull as the Sig trigger actions tend to do. Workmanship on the Sigs is excellent and the fit and finish is great, but the end result just does not come together as it does in the P99. Maybe there was a higher level of actual shooter knowledge among the design engineer(s) at Walther then at the Sig factory, who knows, all I know for sure is that for trigger as well as ease of operation in general, the Walther P99 has it over the Sigs. And at one time I was a die hard Sig fan. Hope that info helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first 9mm was a SIG P239 and my second was a SIG P226R. Then when it was announced that S&W wasn't going to import the P99 AS any more I picked one up.

It took one day at the range to realize I shoot the P99 way better than the P226, probably because it fits my hand better. It's also lighter and has less flip. So I got a P99c AS to go with it, and traded the P226R toward a P220. Walther is my top choice for 9mm's, but since they don't make a .45 I'll stick with Sig for those.

It takes a while to find out what you like best and what you shoot best. You may lose some money on a trade, or by selling it used, but look at the loss as an "extended rental fee" if that helps. I shopped my P226R (+ 4 hicaps) around to several dealers at a gun show. The lowball offer was $400, but one dealer accepted my offer of $600 trade toward a P220 (w/Night Sights). I had $740 or so in the P226R and the mags, so I made out pretty well. Just look for the best deal, don't dump it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That 'extended rental fee' concept is exactly how I look at it. I will buy a pistol, sometimes even considered a semi-collectible like a S&W Performance Center item, use it for a bit, if something I want to stick with keep it, if see something else I think is interesting or might suit me better, sell the first one, save up some to make up the difference that I lost on selling it used vs what I paid new if new when I got it, then on to the next; if I got it used than the loss is minimal. Believe this makes for a more enjoyable hobby/sport.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I cant speak for the 228, but I have a lot of experience with the 226 in .357 SIG.

The only pro the SIG has is that it kicks less for me than the Walther, when using .357 SIG in the Sig and +P 9mm in the P99. The P99 is more accurate, has a more durable finish(ask my friend, who accidently banged the slides together on our guns. His P226 scratched, and my P99 is fine.) is better sized for concealed carry, and has better ergonomics. Not to mention I like the absolute lack of safties. ;)

The 226 was the first pistol I ever shot, and the P99 was the first pistol I've owned. I'll take the latter any day.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I'm getting a compact Walther P99 today (if it comes into the shop today). But, if I were you and already had a compact Kahr that was used for routine carry, I'd get the full size Walther p99

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I own both. In fact, the 228 was my first semi-auto purchase. I still like it, but like the other posts here, I find I can shoot the P99 much better, more accurately, and faster. Also, the Walther has a lower bore axis than the SIG design, so that may have something to do with it.

As far as action type, I believe the Walther AS is virtually identical to the SIG's DA with decocker, except the SIG uses a hammer and the Walther uses a striker.

FWIW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts