Walther Forums banner

Self defense training.....in the dark

971 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  queueball 
#1 ·
Just took a pretty intense class shooting in near black out conditions. Drawing from Holsters....having to discern friend from foe....shooting prone, kneeling....one handed....the works.

Learned a lot too.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Here are my take aways....

- Gun flashes and flashlights not only can blind you but give your location away. So you need to be moving constantly especially from side to side. Use light to your advantage.

- If you move from low/no light to full light, the assault is on.

- Sights are nearly useless. Guys....I was mostly pointing and shooting. Not really much time to aim. Although, we were using double taps followed by hammer drops...where sights do help a ton on those shots. However...see below comment.

- Shooting with a red dot was a HUGE advantage in the dark. Wow. Every home defense gun should be equipped with one. I found red dots in the dark to be a big game changer.

- Flash lights should be turned on for less than a second. Just to illuminate the target, identify the target, blind the target, then acquire and shoot and move with the light off.

- Lasers are great too....but give away your position.

We also did target shooting in the dark too.....as warm ups.

We all started from 50ft with lights on. Shoot ten rounds.

Then later, turned lights off....shot at 50ft with 10 rounds. All we could do was momentarily flip on the flash light. It wasn’t pure black but very low light.

I was the best shooter in the group with this drill by a wide margine because I do it all the time. We were using a 25 yard tali’s fire target.

In low light, I hit all 10 rounds in the black, much to the dissmay of the instructor. What I found was that the flash light was a hinderence. I never used it. I couldnt find the red center but rather a black fuzy blob in the center. But the red dot allowed me to place the dot over the blob and bam....hit it 10 out of 10. Those with standard sights struggled. Some guys even missing the paper with some of their rounds. My low light target was better than my full light but that was also an issue of being warmed up too.

Red dots are fantastic in the dark!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.