Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Federal 9mm +P Expanding Point FMJ 124GR.
Lead Core with Silicone Tip. The pictures on ammoman.com
sold me. Great expansion action photos. Very good groups at the range.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just started to carry the 40. Loaded with Winchester 180 gr SXT's. Shot the best groups at the range along with the white box, so I thought I'd keep range and defens ammo in the same family.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I was lucky and found some ranger law enforcement 115 gr +p in 50 rnd boxes, it shoots great in my QA. These are the old black talon, but they are not black, but politically correct copper color. My second choice is also the 115 gr gold dots. I tried 127 gr +p gold dots, but they were not as accurate.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The general consensus (at least what I've gathered across the internet), is that some of the best factory loadings in 9mm are:

Speer Gold dot (124 +p and 147)
Winchester Ranger Talon (147 and 124 +p)
Hornady TAP (can't recall grain/powder data)

Notice that Federal Hydrashok isn't on the list.  From what I understand, it is a dated design and there are more modern cartridges listed above.  Also, the EFMJ isn't on the list either (unproven, has bugs yet to be worked out).

I'm not trying to say that those people using hydrashoks or EFMJs are using poor cartridges, but from the information I have gleaned from tacticalforums.com and various other informative sources, there are other, better loadings available (with the nod going to Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger Talon.

Again, I'm not insulting anyone, just sharing information I have collected.

I personally use Speer Gold Dot 180 gr.  I switched from 165 Gold Dot to gain a little more penetration.

-stunks

·
Registered
69 Posts
[cor-bon]9mm +p 115gr. jhp/velocity=1350
i love this stuff,but cost alot.
i dont carry my p99.its to big i work outside in weather atleast 103.
even in the winter i guess its just to big.i carry and love my newer production kel-tek .380 if you guys havnt set your eyes on one of these yet i suggest you do.it weighs less than my p99 15rd. mag loaded and is the same size as my pocket knife/1200 rds.1 jam within the first 100 rds. break in stage,very reliable.dont get me wrong though, i love my 99 just not to carry.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depending on the weather...I may carry my P99 under a jacket, or my P99c in a coat pocket...my Keltec 3AT is usually on my ankle...I never go anywhere with out at least one of these....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Another vote for Federal Hydra Shok's, in my .40 P99 and my .38 S&W 442.

My reasoning is as follows: The largest metropolitan area around where I live uses Hydra Shoks. If I'm ever involved in a shooting, when the opposing team starts in on the "used a hollow point bullet that is designed to kill with horrifically large holes" then all I have to do is point out that I use the same round as the Police. If it's so horrific, then why do they use it to apprehend suspects?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to be late coming to the party... I couldn't get my old ID to work somehow... anyway, I switched to doubletap ammo 147 gr... tried a few out at the range, and liked these a lot... plus, you get 147gr @ 1135fps / 421ft. lbs. from a G17.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stunksinatl @ Dec. 15 2005,22:02)]Notice that Federal Hydrashok isn't on the list.  From what I understand, it is a dated design and there are more modern cartridges listed above.  Also, the EFMJ isn't on the list either (unproven, has bugs yet to be worked out).

I'm not trying to say that those people using hydrashoks or EFMJs are using poor cartridges, but from the information I have gleaned from tacticalforums.com and various other informative sources, there are other, better loadings available (with the nod going to Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger Talon.

I personally use Speer Gold Dot 180 gr.  I switched from 165 Gold Dot to gain a little more penetration.

-stunks
What is "unproven" about EFMJ? Everything I've read about it says that the penetrating properties are better than JHP because it doesn't get clogged with things like clothing like the hollow points do. I've put a couple of hundred rounds through 5 or 6 different guns and never had a single problem. Granted, that's a scientific insignificant sample size but it's a data point nonetheless.

I've chosen to use EFMJ's as my defensive load, so if there is other data out there I'd like to be able to read it.

Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Navy87Guy @ Dec. 22 2005,18:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stunksinatl @ Dec. 15 2005,22:02)]Notice that Federal Hydrashok isn't on the list.  From what I understand, it is a dated design and there are more modern cartridges listed above.  Also, the EFMJ isn't on the list either (unproven, has bugs yet to be worked out).

-stunks
What is "unproven" about EFMJ? Everything I've read about it says that the penetrating properties are better than JHP because it doesn't get clogged with things like clothing like the hollow points do. I've put a couple of hundred rounds through 5 or 6 different guns and never had a single problem. Granted, that's a scientific insignificant sample size but it's a data point nonetheless.

I've chosen to use EFMJ's as my defensive load, so if there is other data out there I'd like to be able to read it.

Thanks!
Jim
Oh boy!  You're going to make me find that information, aren't you?  
  I don't suppose you'll take my word for it?

Hey, a bullet is a bullet, if it hits someone, it'll hurt/kill, right?

I've just read the EFMJs from Federal are somewhat inconsistent in more "real world" type tests.

-stunks

·
Registered
15 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stunksinatl @ Dec. 15 2005,22:02)]The general consensus (at least what I've gathered across the internet), is that some of the best factory loadings in 9mm are:

Speer Gold dot (124 +p and 147)
Winchester Ranger Talon (147 and 124 +p)
Hornady TAP (can't recall grain/powder data)

Notice that Federal Hydrashok isn't on the list.  From what I understand, it is a dated design and there are more modern cartridges listed above.  Also, the EFMJ isn't on the list either (unproven, has bugs yet to be worked out).

-stunks
Where is the info on the gold dots/ranger/ hydrashock ammo. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just want to learn more. I may switch if I like the data. Always looking to improve performance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
+1 for Corbon

Higher velocities and lower price than most other brands so the bang/buck ratio is good.

Corbon Powerballs won't clog either.

I'd post more but its getting late.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use Hydra Shok also. My thinking is, in police test and acutal shootings it did very well and it shoots well for me. So maybe the stopping abality is in the shooter's placement as much as the bullet. Just a thought.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Extreme shock Fang Face all the way. You can take out a grizzly at hundred yards with that stuff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts