Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to purchase the aforesaid model. However there appear to be two variations, namely related to the the "screws" inserted in the 'Wood' grips: 1.) One variation displays Brass and 2.) Displays Black Galvanized. Which is the original (correct) per manufacturer? Secondarily, how can one determine the year by the serial number, basically the new models. For instance: AB150688 . All replies are very much appreciated.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
Trigger Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't like the color of the screw and escutcheon you can either replace those individual parts or the entire grip panel itself.

Walther Arms Customer Support will be able to provide you with a date for a Ft.Smith PPK/S.

No offense but I asked which is the correct screw 'Black or Brass'? In other words, "What does Walther manufacturer them with? Again, it is not happenstance that different screws or combinations thereof are representative of the "Original Manufacture".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Walther and spoke with two representatives on two separate occasions as each were just as indifferent and adamant about the facts: Just refusing to provide a plausible explanation. In fact, each seemed to be robotic in nature. One stated there are no "escutcheons" or brass or chrome screws per say. The each kept saying that Walther only has "black screws" and they could send me those out, when I asked not for them. I find this to be quite unusual and evasive as to good business management when selling firearms. There are many variations posted online and on Gunbroker displaying different options with the (Screws). I find this to be very deceiving especially when we collect firearms, as all aspects or details are imperative as to collectibility. Here are some of the differences:
1.) Brass screws with brass escutcheons
2.) Brass screws with stainless escutcheons
3.) Black screws ( As per Walther Specs)
4.) Hex head black screws (Allegedly the new over the 'screw' style.

Any experts can post your reply below for I cannot believe a company would not know what they're manufacturing. In fact, upon further pressing of the matter, the representatives were getting annoyed and stated, "That's all we can tell you".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it helps, mine has the brass escutcheon's and black screw (flat head type).

The picture you show where it looks like the screw is stainless, may just be lighting. I held mine up and depending on the angle of the light, the black screw looked shiny like stainless.
Thanks very much. Here is the email Walther sent me regarding the aforesaid.

"I don't know where Altamont got their rosettes or screws or washers.
You could contact Altamont and ask them, i'm assuming they outsourced those as well.
But all that i can say is that we have a single type of screw for the PPK and PPK/S.
The PPK and PPK/S has been manufactured by several different companies, and imported by several different companies.
So that explains why the grip screw, rosette, and washer look different depending on which type of gun.
Interarms and Smith & Wesson both had several limited edition versions of these guns, so there may be brass screws, or stainless screws.
The modern production grip screws are the only ones we have, they are a black anodized steel screw".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why so much diversity in the screws? There are many configurations, as pointed out by the last two posts. Now, they even have torque head screws which allegedly replaces the slotted screws. If any ask Walther of those, they will state they are not theirs.
Automotive tire Sleeve Font Line Audio equipment

1 - 5 of 5 Posts