Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am considering purchasing a .22 semi and really like the looks of the Walther P22. My wife has small hands and she also likes the look and feel of this gun.

I've read a lot around the Internet about problems with jamming and the gun being picky about the ammo fed to it. So I decided to come to this forum to ask for insight and feedback from those who actually have the P22. (BTW, I'm amazed that searching on the term "P22" in this forum finds no hits at all. Strange, indeed!)

Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts as to whether this is the one I should look more closely at for a gun that I intend to simply have fun with at the range. I have some large-bore handguns for personal protection, so that aspect of it doesn't enter into my quest for the right .22. Thanks!

Amistad

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have one, and frankly I love the little thing. I wish it had some more knock down power, but I have used it for concealed carry.

It is VERY picky about what it eats though, and both of my friend's P22's are the same way.

They will not shoot CB shorts, shorts of any kind for that matter.

Mine has a problem (its a dirt problem I think) shooting the federal "cheap" brick gold ammo after about 100 rounds untill I clean it.

Mine personally likes the CCI velociraptors and stingers or mini mags.

Get one. Enjoy an afternoon of shootingn for $4 and rock on.

:)

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I have one, and frankly I love the little thing. I wish it had some more knock down power, but I have used it for concealed carry.

It is VERY picky about what it eats though, and both of my friend's P22's are the same way.

They will not shoot CB shorts, shorts of any kind for that matter.

Mine has a problem (its a dirt problem I think) shooting the federal "cheap" brick gold ammo after about 100 rounds untill I clean it.

Mine personally likes the CCI velociraptors and stingers or mini mags.

Get one. Enjoy an afternoon of shootingn for $4 and rock on.

:)

I have one too, and frankly I hate the little thing. I wish it would exhibit some semblence of reliability. I wouldn't dream of using it for concealed carry.

It is SO picky about what it eats that I still haven't found what it likes, and doubt that I will. Three quarters of the owners that one hears from say they have similar (or other) problems.

It not only will not shoot .22 shorts, but will not reliably shoot the .22 long rifles for which it was (supposedly) designed.

Mine has a problem (a design problem, actually) that it's just a toy--an Umarex blank-firing pot-metal gun on steroids: Wulf-Heinz Flaumer's joke on America, a cat turd dressed up as a pistol.

Don't be a sucker. Forget its gimmicks and ignore its resemblance to the P99--it's only skin deep. Save your money, buy a real .22, and get what you pay for. Avoid the frustration and enjoy your time at the range. Watch for a good used .22 PP, or PPK or PPK/s, or an Astra Constable, or a Colt Woodsman, or an early High Standard. Even a .22 Ruger is more satisfying --at least it works. And a year from now it will still be working, and not related to the broken-toy junk box.

M

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Not that any are out yet.... but the new SP22 looks a lot more promising....
If you get one, go to AR15.com there is a good post on fixing all the little problems the early ones had... looks like though a lot of the newer ones have gone through a face lift...
I wouldn't mind having one to match my G22 in the blue/grey or one of the new ones to match the First Edition PPS frame color.......
I think that if you don't mind tweaking your P22 get one and if you like cans even a better reason to get one

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have one too, and frankly I hate the little thing. I wish it would exhibit some semblence of reliability. I wouldn't dream of using it for concealed carry.

It is SO picky about what it eats that I still haven't found what it likes, and doubt that I will. Three quarters of the owners that one hears from say they have similar (or other) problems.

It not only will not shoot .22 shorts, but will not reliably shoot the .22 long rifles for which it was (supposedly) designed.

Mine has a problem (a design problem, actually) that it's just a toy--an Umarex blank-firing pot-metal gun on steroids: Wulf-Heinz Flaumer's joke on America, a cat turd dressed up as a pistol.

Don't be a sucker. Forget its gimmicks and ignore its resemblance to the P99--it's only skin deep. Save your money, buy a real .22, and get what you pay for. Avoid the frustration and enjoy your time at the range. Watch for a good used .22 PP, or PPK or PPK/s, or an Astra Constable, or a Colt Woodsman, or an early High Standard. Even a .22 Ruger is more satisfying --at least it works. And a year from now it will still be working, and not related to the broken-toy junk box.

M
Sorry to hear Mike that you've had such problems with your P22.

I know when I bought mine, it got a COMPLETE tear down and cleaning/inspection.

I took some soft red scotchbright and rid the rails of their sharp burrs.

Every time I shoot the gun, it gets a complete cleaning.

I also know that mine is a "late" gun built only a couple of years ago.

Possibly yours is an early model?

Have you tried any of the hypervelocity rounds made by CCI?

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Am considering purchasing a .22 semi and really like the looks of the Walther P22. My wife has small hands and she also likes the look and feel of this gun.

I've read a lot around the Internet about problems with jamming and the gun being picky about the ammo fed to it. So I decided to come to this forum to ask for insight and feedback from those who actually have the P22. (BTW, I'm amazed that searching on the term "P22" in this forum finds no hits at all. Strange, indeed!)

Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts as to whether this is the one I should look more closely at for a gun that I intend to simply have fun with at the range. I have some large-bore handguns for personal protection, so that aspect of it doesn't enter into my quest for the right .22. Thanks!

Amistad
You might want to check out the Rimfire Central Forum for a detailed and ongoing discussion of the P22.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Scroll down to the Walther section. You see all sorts of threads, few of them encouraging ("Salvaging my P22" is typical) and a number of sticky notes that provide detailed instructions and advice on how to cope witih some of the issues related to the P22.

When it works, it's a dandy little pistol and a wonderful plinker. When it doesn't, it's enough to drive you ... to another forum for help. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to each of you who has replied to my query. I have decided against going with Walther and will probably buy one of the Buck Mark guns by Browning.

Amistad
'wants to get a good one'

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow. This is not the sort of response I expected when I saw this thread's title. For what it's worth, my logbook says that mine is at 1,200 rounds with zero failures - reliability unmatched by anything else in my safe except my H&K USPc. Per recommendations of reviewers and other owners, I've shot CCI Mini-Mags (ball and HP) exclusively, so avoidance of cheap ammo may have something to do with it. I've got a fairly recent production ('05, I believe) model with the 3.4" barrel.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Wow. This is not the sort of response I expected when I saw this thread's title. For what it's worth, my logbook says that mine is at 1,200 rounds with zero failures - reliability unmatched by anything else in my safe except my H&K USPc. Per recommendations of reviewers and other owners, I've shot CCI Mini-Mags (ball and HP) exclusively, so avoidance of cheap ammo may have something to do with it. I've got a fairly recent production ('05, I believe) model with the 3.4" barrel.
The P22 seems to be one of those hit-and-miss prospects. For every owner who reports no problems and nothing but round after round of plinking fun, you'll find two or more owners who step up to say that the &#$*&^@#($ thing never worked right from Day One and that every step they took, every cleaning they gave it, every feed ramp they twiddled with, every brand of ammo they tried didn't make a single whit of difference. Perhaps it's just that the folks who have had problems are far more vocal about those problems than are those who have experienced nothing but joy with the P22. On the other hand, given the wealth of reports and the long lists of stickies on what to do for this, that, and the other issues that inevitably arise (and you'll find these stickies in goodly numbers on the Rimfire Central Forum), you have to figure that some of the smoke issuing from the barrel is an indication of more than ignited gunpowder.

I've got one that's NIB at the moment, and I'm going to keep it that way. If anyone asks, it's, well, new in the box and must work perfectly. :D

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Sorry to hear Mike that you've had such problems with your P22.

I know when I bought mine, it got a COMPLETE tear down and cleaning/inspection.

I took some soft red scotchbright and rid the rails of their sharp burrs.

Every time I shoot the gun, it gets a complete cleaning.

I also know that mine is a "late" gun built only a couple of years ago.

Possibly yours is an early model?

Have you tried any of the hypervelocity rounds made by CCI?
John, I bought the P22 principally when they were first introduced for educational purposes. It seemed like an intriguing design worthy of study. The only reason I still have it is for reference. I have enough high-quality
.22 pistols --Walthers and others--that I don't need to struggle trying to make this POS work. Its multifarious problems, it seems to me, are inherent in the cheap design and flimsy construction, and not readily susceptible to cure by tweaking. It's a triumph of economical manufacturing technique and inspired marketing, but otherwise it's a disaster. How many other guns of recent manufacture can you name that have generated such an ongoing and widespread history of diverse complaints?

M

·
Registered
4 Posts
Amazing.....

I have had my P22 for months and fired hundred of rounds through it with NO failures to date....

I a stunned so many people have such bad luck with this little gem...

I love my P22.

It does not stay in the box.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've read many reports on this pistol. Are the newer ones better than older ones. I want to get one, but have hesitated because of all of the problems.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I've read many reports on this pistol. Are the newer ones better than older ones. I want to get one, but have hesitated because of all of the problems.
That seems to be the million dollar question: Reports of misfires and FTEs and stovepiping and the like come from the owners of early models. But they also come from late-model P22 owners as well. Some folks seem to have great success with the thing and can't understand all the fuss. Other folks have had such bad luck that every other word uttered is one that would make your mother blush. A lot of bad-mouthing of the Walther name is a direct result of the P22. When you check out some of the chatter on forums devoted to rimfire weapons, you'll get an eye-opener in a hurry. And to my knowledge, Walther's parent company has not done a lot to own up to whatever issues are involved. If the P22 belonged to Ford or GM or Chrysler, you can bet that a massive recall would have been on the table a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
This "older v. newer" notion is a mystery to me. Apart from the magazines (of which there have been at least two versions), can anybody precisely identify any particular changes?

M

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not to discount anyone's experience, since I may have just gotten lucky... but I think a lot of it is that it's an ammo-sensitive gun. With CCI products (minimags, velocitors, and stingers) I've had NO failures. I have several thousand rounds through it. You can use the bulk-pack Federal stuff, just expect to have to clean it a lot, and expect the occasional jam. With the Mini-mag's, I can go through 2 or 300 rounds without a hitch. I REALLY think a lot of the issues are ammo related.

Mine is a late model, with the new style mag's. Don't expect an heirloom in terms of quality, and expect some slide wear... but it's fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well, my $.02 is just that I must be among the least experienced shooters on the forums. Nevertheless the P22 I bought for my wife last Valentine's Day has performed flawlessly through over 1000 rounds of standard and high-velocity ammo of various makes including CCI MiniMags, PMC Scoremaster, and the bulk Remington hollow points. It will not cycle sub-sonic ammo though. What we have is the non-removable 5" barrel CA model sold in Kalifornia with the thread capped to disallow a can. Date code is AF (2005). I guess we got lucky.:D

Russell

·
Registered
74 Posts
My wife loves her P22, but only after I cut 3/8" off the recoil spring. Now it will "mostly" feed bulk hi-velocity ammo. I called Walther usa, and they said it's designed for hyper velocity ammo. Not what they originally said, but what the heck. Stingers and such feed well, but many on various forums say theirs feed subsonic ammo as well after the extensive tweaking tip available online. The gun looks and feels great, but reliability can be elusive at best. Hers didn't like Remington bulk AT ALL. Federal bulk HV seemed to be okay. I've just ordered a new recoil spring for hers so I can try some of the tweaks. I'm thinking I'll install the new spring to replace the shortened one, and just buy her some stingers. I keep saying the Stingers are expensive, but that's just compared to bulk .22, not the stuff my guns use!

You don't want to over lube this gun!

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took a chance on my first one back in '03 and so far it has been a jewel. haven't done anything to it other than put at least 3 bulk boxes of Remington and Federal thru it. It eats anything. Enjoy plinking with it so much I got me a 5" barreled version a couple of months back, and haven't had any problems with it either, and it's pretty accurate too. A close freind of mine bought one after shooting mine, and for the first 100 or so rounds it misfed or stovepiped at least once per magazine, but after that it has worked fine as well. A guy that I work with also enjoys his, and he is a rimfire fanatic, says it's his favorite pistol now. Do they send all the good ones to Louisville KY or could it be operator headspace and timing?

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
It's nice to hear that some of the P22s work as advertised, even if they all seemingly ended up in Kentucky, of all places. For a sampling of the problematic issues involved, and they are many, check out the dialogue here:

www.rimfirecentral.com

Just head to the Walther section and start reading the sticky notices.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, I've only had mine for a very short time, but I have the 5" version, and I have to say I love it. Real nice trigger, good balance, and most importantly my wife likes to shoot it.

We've only put CCI standard velocity in it so far, and after about 50 rounds we did have a few failures to extract when it got dirty. It's also pretty new (under 200 rounds) so break in is still certainly a factor.

I'm not real sure I would carry a .22 for defense, so it just isn't a factor for me; for a "pocket pistol" I would certainly go with a PPK.

I'm planning on getting the short barrel as well, and am looking hard at the laser site for it.

My one complaint so far is that you have to remove the barrel weight to clean it right, and I'm looking at the screws on it to show some wear pretty fast.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts